NBR Windows 10 Clean Installation Guide

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Phoenix, Sep 7, 2015.

1. jaydoc79

jaydoc79 Newbie

Reputations:
    Before I tried MSU or Dism++ I tried upgrading to Windows 10 pro with a key I bought from Ebay. Just before I did this I tried the Windows Update button and the error message still persisted. Windows Update did not find any updates to install apparently. After I upgraded to Windows Pro I tried again, and this time Windows found the February 13, 2018—KB4074588 (OS Build 16299.248) update and installed it. After a reboot the error message is gone (I still see the "Some settings are managed by your organization" message) and OS build info is now 16299.248.

So I guess Windows Education vs. Pro could have something to do with this. Anyway, my problem is solved, for now at least. Thanks.

@Phoenix I see that you closed your software thread. Is there a list of the software that you recommend available on these forums or elsewhere? Thanks for all the excellent tips and tweaks, BTW.

2. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Here you go, the folders which have icons are simply portable apps I don't install things like CCleaner, HWiNFO, etc. just use the portable version so that the settings are stored in the *.ini file that way if you move them to another PC your settings are in-tact:

2018-03-13_043659.png

Vasudev likes this.
  3. jaydoc79

jaydoc79 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks. A few remaining questions.

1. If I follow this thread's tweaks from the first 3-4 pages, is there any reason to run a tool like DWS? I don't like how it makes wholesale changes to the hosts file and other changes that cannot be reverted back easily. Are there any other tweak tools other O&O that are recommended?

2. I need to use software like Skype and biometric features like Windows Hello. Will using these services allow Windows to spy and send information to MS servers?

3. Is Nod32 still the recommended antivirus? And should I disable the Windows Firewall and use a third party firewall as well? Is there a recommended firewall?

Jay

4. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    1) DWS is optional and not a must. I use it to clean up SXS folders, uninstall all updates, permanently delete the Windows Store apps leftovers of the ones I've uninstalled. No need to run it on your machine, this does not yield any speed benefits and can cause problems if you ever wanted to uninstall a particular buggy update OR wanted to refresh your Windows without formatting it.

2) Not if you use O&O ShutUp10. Here is the last version of the Desktop Skype as now only the Windows store crippled version is offered: Skype v7.40

3) NOD32 is still the recommended Antivirus. It has a built in HTTP Scanner to intercept any bad sites or malicious file downloads. The Windows Firewall is all you need.

BUT, if you don't have a license for NOD32 yet, then buy ESET Internet Security as that includes a firewall which has more control than the Windows Firewall and doesn't have an allow rule by default to all programs like the Windows Firewall does.

Lynx2017 and Dr. AMK like this.
  5. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I can't see ini files. All I see are executables. You have 75% of worlds greatest SW. on ur taptop.
    Use new skype desktop 8.x with compatibility set to w8.1 and enjoy new versions of skype.

Dr. AMK and Phoenix like this.
  6. Vaeron

Vaeron Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    OT: SW? My mind is thinking Star Wars because I just rewatched it. :D

Vasudev likes this.
  7. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I am a SW fan too. Here I meant Software=SW. I'm used to writing acronyms when taking notes, lately it has become a habit!

Vaeron likes this.
  8. davidcrian

davidcrian Newbie

Reputations:
    Nicely detailed guide, will follow it step by step!

9. Backpacker604

Backpacker604 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    This guide is great. I used it on my new laptop and it's just nice knowing MS isn't spying on me among other things. How long till the guide is updated with the new build?

10. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Very soon, as soon as Windows 10 Redstone 4 hits RTM