1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

NBR Vista Tips and Tweaks Guide

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows XP and Vista' started by Les, Sep 7, 2007.

1. elscorcho

elscorcho Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    for the same reason that the first tweakhound link noted that a fresh run of BootVis, even on a constantly optimized system, still cut down his reboot times by a few seconds. there's a ton of things a user could do between their last defrag that would slow down boot times or other function of the OS. it also needs to be said that defrag primarily runs during idle times every X days, and will slow down or turn off it if notices a high level of user/disc activity. it's meant to be transparent, not overbearing nor intrusive.

btw, i've been very clear in what i've written, but let me state it again since you obviously missed the point, repeatedly.

TuneXP is calling the exact same boot defrag function that 'defrag %systemdrive% c:' serves. a very big hint of this? both functions call the same defrag.exe and defragntfs.exe (well, if Vista is using NTFS). also worth noting - TuneXP has no way to know which boot files are valid were it not for XP/Vista's built-in logging/prefetcher capabilities, which were created in part so that defrag.exe can process the boot files.

and you're not really insulting me - i actually exist outside this message board, so my world doesn't shatter when message board dilettantes attack.

2. crash

crash NBR Assassin Super Moderator

Reputations:
    BTW if you turn off Tablet PC options in the "Turn Windows Features On or Off" menu and disable the Tablet PC service, the snipping tool will not show up or work.

This is worth noting as a ramification for turning off these "unnecessary services" as the snipping tool is quite useful.

3. Les

Les Not associated with NotebookReview in any way

Reputations:
    I mentioned that in the tweak I added this morning....and...I just made a bold edit on that specific tweak to confirm. Thanx!!

4. LIVEFRMNYC

LIVEFRMNYC Blah Blah Blah!!!

Reputations:
    If anyone wants to disable Tablet anyway and still need a snipping tool.

Get it here ...... FASTSTONE CAPTURE 5.2 The newer version is shareware, that's why I linked the free version.

Also you can download more Faststone apps at FASTSTONE I HIGHLY recommend the resizer. DO NOT DOWNLOAD THE NEW VERSION OF FASTSTONE CAPTURE UNLESS YOU WANT SHAREWARE. Even if you uninstall and download the old one, the shareware stuff will stay.

5. Les

Reputations:
    Calot...

My machine starts around 20 seconds...

My sons, which I just bought, saw a 40sec improvement before any tweaking. If you have any issues...pm me.

Here are my HDTune results for an ssd comparison...

6. calot

calot Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    There it is. My results. Are they good? I havent done the tune xp thing. Im gonna do it now I guess... How long did you say it takes?

Attached Files:

7. redzapper

redzapper Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    20 seconds! Are we talking about startup time?

8. calot

Reputations:
    My SSD is 1.8... yours is a lot faster! Is yours 2.5? You also have to take to account that I have an 11.1 inch U7600 processor laptop ;)

9. ScuderiaConchiglia

ScuderiaConchiglia NBR Vaio Team Curmudgeon

Reputations:
    So this second process that trebuin is refering to is NOT the NTFSDfrg that flamenko is referring to? Does this mean there are THREE processes then? How are we to know when this mysterious unseen process is finished?

Gary

10. Les

Reputations:
    Yes 20 second startup time from the press of a button until the screen is finished and the internet is confirmed.

And...Calot, go into your setup screen and see if achi is selected rather than ATA. This is what increased my speed along with the Intel Matrix Storage Manager.

11. elscorcho

Reputations:
    Odd then that my dell laptop boots up in 20-25 seconds using only the defrag -b switch mentioned earlier.

Oh wait, they're the same exact thing. Oops!

and there are two processes, Defrag.exe and DfrgNTFS.exe, which will show up on the task scheduler depending on which 'user' (system or active user) starts the process. both are created by microsoft, and both are active in any defragmentation so long as an NTFS partition is being worked on.

12. Les

Reputations:
    No you will see two processes as shown in my picture attached. When they dissappear, defragging is complete.

They are defrag.exe and dfrgntfs.exe.

13. calot

Reputations:

Wow! I can increase my speed? What setup menu do you reffer to flamenko? If I can increase my speed I would owe you HUGE!

14. elscorcho

Reputations:
    take these times with a grain of salt - it depends on a myriad of things and one quick fix won't solve it.

How many startup applications do you have running?
    How fast is your hard drive?
    How much system memory do you have?

optimizing/defragging the boot files will gain some speed, but it's meaningless if the OS is bloated down with an excess number of starting processes.

15. wax4213

wax4213 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    He's referring to your BIOS, when you restart your computer it will tell you to hit a specific key to enter setup.

Elscorcho is right, make sure that you've cleaned up the bloat and minimized the number of programs that start with your computer. msconfig is great for the latter, and uninstall any junk programs that came with your computer through the control panel using the Uninstall Programs applet.

16. Les

Reputations:
    Go into Bios by hitting F2 at the start screen
    Go to On Board Devices
    Sata Operation
    AHCI should be checked.

Now go to Flash Cache Module
    It should be enabled.

Now Sony should have a driver site with Intel Matrix Storage Manager. It should be installed.

I will close this by saying Im not too familiar with the internal workings of a Sony; this works well in my Dell however.

And yes, a clean install which removes all bloat and useless registry entries works miracles to any system.

17. calot

Reputations:
    I didnt do a clean install. But i erased all the bloatware, and desactivated a lot of unwanted processes. Now I have 79 processes running, I used to have like 98. I also have glary utilities which fixes the registry and erases temp files, it works like ccleaner. Im gonna check that bios stuff now.

18. ScuderiaConchiglia

ScuderiaConchiglia NBR Vaio Team Curmudgeon

Reputations:
    OK, so the ONLY two processes that TweakXP runs are defrag.exe and dfrgntfs.exe, right?

But what about the other process trebuin talked about? Or is one of the two you mentioned the "separate defrag of its own" that trebuin refers to? We need to be sure we wait for all these things to finish!

Gary

19. Les

Reputations:
    I think you are reading him wrong. We spoke and he explained it to me and, as well, I have done the processes. I learned this from him.

You watch those two processes only. When they dissappear, restart.

Ok, I see what he is saying..no I think he believes one of the two processes doesnt show in Vista; they both do.

20. elscorcho

Reputations:
    to be clear, DfrgNTFS.exe isn't a 'separate' defrag that TuneXp activates - it's activated, at least as far as i know on Vista, every single time an NTFS partition is defragmented.

if you call a defrag through the standard 'Disk Defragmenter' program in Vista, both Defrag.exe and DfrgNTFS.exe will show up as a 'hidden' system process. however, if you activate defrag.exe through the command prompt, both defrag.exe and dfrgntfs.exe will show up both in the user's processes.

dfrgNTFS.exe CANNOT be run exclusively, and must be called by defrag.exe