1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

NBR Vista Tips and Tweaks Guide

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows XP and Vista' started by Les, Sep 7, 2007.

1. ZT3000!

ZT3000! Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Awesome, def got an improvement in start up time.

+rep.

2. tango3065

tango3065 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Can this program be unistalled after you run it or is this something you have to run often like a regular defragmenter?

3. Nalada

Nalada Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Is this a case where you have to click "Show processes from all users" in Taskmanager before they are visible? That would be the case if they are running as "System".

4. darthsat

darthsat Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yea, I am curious to see why I dont see the 2 processes running.

5. tango3065

Reputations:
    mine is running as we speak and the 2 processes are called -
    Defrag.exe
    DfrgNtfs.exe

Hope that helps, also I am still curious if this is just a one time deal or will you have to defragment often?

6. Sequoia225

Sequoia225 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    "2. If you are comfortable with computers...turn UAC off as it is probably the worst thing in Vista. Press Start, click on your picture...turn UAC off and restart.
    Possible important point about "

Regarding this tweak, I just read this somewhere else.....

"Do not disable UAC to start with because aside from security issues, if you choose to enable it again in the future, due to file and registry virtualization your settings for any currently installed programs may be lost. "

Any comments on what this means, (ramifications?)

thanks.

7. darthsat

darthsat Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Once I checked "Show processes from all users" in task manager, I can now see the 2 processes. I'm in the process of defragging now.

Edit : Finished defragging. So all in all, these 2 tweaks lowered my power-on to fully loaded vista from 1min 7seconds down to 55seconds. Not bad.

8. mair

mair Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    works great thanks
    rrp point

9. Les

Les Not associated with NotebookReview in any way

Reputations:
    The program can be uninstalled at any time as it is not resident and has no ties to your system.

Further, regarding UAC, I have never heard of that before. I have turned UAC on and off several times for several different systems. I would believe if that were true it would be a huge flaw in Vista they would have tackled a long time ago.

In any case, I have never had troubles turning UAC back on but I cant state that that would never occur. If it has to others i would appreciate someone comment on that specifically.

PS Its nice to see so many having so much success with this.

10. tango3065

Reputations:
    Wow and repped, I went from 1 minute 30 secs to now 41 secs.

BTW I did unistall the program, could you tell me if the boot menu will eventually get fragmented again or is this just a one time deal?