NBR Vista Tips and Tweaks Guide

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows XP and Vista' started by Les, Sep 7, 2007.

1. ragna

ragna Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Nvm issue fixed.

2. jolin

jolin Newbie

Reputations:
    I’m not sure what you are talking about, but if you have computer problems or internet connection is very slow, you can try a software tuneup360, it's really helpful~~

3. ScuderiaConchiglia

ScuderiaConchiglia NBR Vaio Team Curmudgeon

Reputations:
    And since you didn't bother to quote the post you were replying to, we have no idea what you are talking about. However, software like tuneup360 is nothing more than hi-tech snake oil. It's outrageous claims of speeding up your computer 300% are ridiculous.

I have a nice bridge in the desert I'd like to sell.

Gary

4. perrin_aybara

perrin_aybara Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    :D Brilliant:D

5. dlleno

dlleno Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    pardon my inquiry here, but I noticed that the OP of this thread (the optimization guide) is banned. what is that about?

6. crash

crash NBR Assassin Super Moderator

Reputations:
  7. dlleno

dlleno Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    yes of course; I guess I mis-stated my interest -- apparently the content of the post is still respected, then. I didn't mean to discuss the merits of the ban.

8. sanjie

sanjie Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Are these tweaks applicable to windows 7?

9. stringer7

stringer7 Newbie

Reputations:
    I've applied all of these (Win7 home premium, clean install) that are possible and have dropped about a dozen processes, having boot time about 25secs from power on to internet usage. I say all that are possible - TMM for example cannot be tweaked, in fact I read elsewhere is disabled by default?

10. n01paranoid

n01paranoid Newbie

Reputations:
    First timer here. Phew, that's some thread. More or less read through its salient points. I was looking to reduce a long boot time (about 150 seconds from power on to log on password request), and saw Les's Top Vista Tweaks You Can Find page first before coming to this thread and, amongst those tweaks, TuneXP is still included as a remedy for slow boot, which I've used.

On this thread, though, ScuderiaConchiglia says TuneXP can harm Vista, and gives his own 2 commands which mimmick what TuneXP does regarding boot file defragging.

I just wondered what harm TuneXP can do to Vista? I only used the ultra fast boot facility as originally instructed by Les, and let the 2 processes run until the command screen disappeared. Boot time came down to about 55 seconds.

Also, are there any free 3rd party, Vista compatible applications that do the same sort of thing as ScuderiaConchiglia's 2 commands? PerfectDisk seems to do something similar but it's not free.

PS - great thread.