1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

NBR Vista Tips and Tweaks Guide

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows XP and Vista' started by Les, Sep 7, 2007.

1. ERL

ERL Notebook Guru

How are you all getting 15sec on a laptop? (or is that a desktop?)
    Mine takes 2min from a cold start.

2. lxFOCUSxl

lxFOCUSxl Notebook Consultant

i have a desktop

3. ScuderiaConchiglia

ScuderiaConchiglia NBR Vaio Team Curmudgeon

Gladly!

Here is what you have:
    Here is what I suggest you change it to:

There needs to be a word of caution in turning UAC on and off. There is a process called virtualization that, when UAC is 'on' saves program data files (things like INI files, configuration files, saved game files etc.) within a totally separate area for each individual user. If you then turn UAC off, there have been reports that certain programs may be unable to find that saved data. The truth, in fact, is that the data is still there but only visible to the program in this 'virtualization folder' once UAC has been turned on again.

An example is... If UAC is on and you install some game, and the game then saves files to that program's main directory and subsequently you turn UAC off. Those files may appear to the game that they have been deleted when, in all actuality, they are stored in this folder and only accessible through virtualization when UAC is on.

Leave this if you must: I have never experienced this But drop this part: and I believe most users would never experience this as files are automatically saved in their own folder, created by Vista. I suggest you drop that last part because Vista does not do this. Any folders (except the virtualized ones) are created by the applications themselves. If you want to say something like this maybe use: I believe many users would never experience this, because most applications do not attempt to save files in the "Programs Files" folder. That is more technically correct.

The substantive charges are in red. I did some other minor editing to replace some pronouns to make things a bit clearer. (I helped write some technical manuals and my training say NEVER use pronouns, that way there is never an ambiguity as to what "it" is.)

Thank you for stepping up and making this change! This small effort goes a long way toward showing that YOU, unlike some of the "master tweakers" on the internet, have care and concern about the folks who are applying these tweaks.

Well done. Well done!

Gary

P.S. I switched from Word to "some game" because the most widely reported instances of this are with games and Word does NOT have this issue at all. It understands the whole virtualization thing. It BETTER it is a MS product after all. ...big ol' grin...

P.S.S. Feel free to use my suggested edits without attribution.

4. trebuin

trebuin Notebook Evangelist

No more screenshots of this. There is no new defrag.exe or dfrgntfs.exe installed. Taskman shows that neither process will run anymore. As for when I was helping test this a few years ago, the process that runs that moves the files into the first part of the disk is tunexp, not defrag, not dfrgntfs. The programmer stoped development of this a long time ago, but you may still be able to contact him...I'm not sure though. As for tests...read the first page of this thread on with how many people are seeing a huge decrease in start time.

If you hate the idea of booting faster or this program being able to do so, don't install it, I'm not twisting your arm. Quit looking a gift horse in the mouth.

5. ScuderiaConchiglia

Thanks for clarifying that it was tuneXP itself that is supposed to be moving the files to the edge. I was confused by earlier explanations that there were two separate defrag operations. I understand now that was referring to the two components doing the one defrag operation after tuneXP had done its thing.

Calm down. It is precisely because the developer has quit work on this and that the app has a lot of other stuff in it that is not usable (and possibly detrimental) in Vista, that I am pursuing this. I am not denying it has improved folks boot time. It is obvious it has. I am trying to get to the heart of what it does, in hopes I can build something that duplicates it and has none of the superfluous stuff attached.

I do like the idea of booting faster. I don't like the idea of folks having to use a four year old unsupported app to do so. Especially one designed specifically for a different OS.

Did you happen to notice if the TuneXP process terminated before the two defrag processes did? I am curious about that because, I would think the order of operation SHOULD be to defrag the files and THEN move them to the edge. Because if you do it in the reverse order there is no way to predict or control WHERE defrag will place the files. You only know it will align all of the blocks into one contiguous stream.

As I mentioned to someone else here I do have an old XP machine here. That will let me examine what tuneXP does in its native environment AND with a tool (BootVIS) that will let me see where it winds up placing things.

Sorry you are misconstruing my intentions here. I am not trying to discredit the fact that TuneXP is doing something and doing it well, I am trying to get to the bottom of WHAT it is actually doing.

BTW efforts have been made to contact the original author but to no avail at the moment.

Gary

6. ScuderiaConchiglia

flakenko,

Thanks for using my suggested edits. I think now folks will have a clear understanding as to what could happen and how easy it is for them to recover if it does.

Gary

7. Padmé

Padmé NBR Super Pink Princess

If you want it stickied you need to PM a mod or admin. ;)

8. MEK

MEK Notebook Enthusiast

Thanks so much! My gf now has some competition...lol, just kidding. But it makes my T61p so much more awesome.

9. Victor Meldrew

Victor Meldrew Notebook Enthusiast

Apologies in advance if this has been asked before but I've noticed my hard disk space slowly going down day by day (by large chunks of roughly 500mb) despite me not installing anything new etc. Is this something Vista is doing? Should I be worried?

Thanks in advance.

10. niGht kiD

niGht kiD .. beach boy ♫

11. Les

Les Not associated with NotebookReview in any way

I wouldnt suggest disabling system restore completely...quite yet. It is probably the culprit and I will explain how to fix things but for now...tx HaOkepa for revealing one of my planned tweaks; you will get appropriate credit.

It comes with consequence however and thats because, its a nice feature to have right now while everyone is fine tuning with these tweaks. Need to create the safety net for all before I put it up in the tweaks.

Victor...

Go to Start/computer/right click on C:/properties

There you will find the utility used to clean the hard disk. If you go to the advanced options, you will se the bottom of the two tells you to clean up all but the last restore point.

Do that and then report back on how much you have gained.

Im sorry I cant tell you EXACTLY the proper terms but Im at work presently on an XP system.

Good Luck and tx again haOkepa.... tweak thief!!! (lol)

12. JabbaJabba

JabbaJabba ThinkPad Facilitator

First of all good initiative Flamenko!

Here are my suggestions to your list of tweaks. I use them myself and they work like a charm. I suggest people to read through the articles which describe the tweak, without rushing straight to the tweak itself.

1) System Restore. Many people are not pleased with the fact that it by default takes up to 15% of the hard drive's capacity. You can however control how much space System Restore can use by following the instructions in this link:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/reduce-system-restores-disk-usage-in-vista/

I have personally set it to 5 GB.

2) Faster Shutdown. For all of us notebook users on the go, we would often like Vista to shut down quicker than it does by default. This tweak really makes a significant difference:

http://itsvista.com/2007/02/itsvista-tip-34-force-vista-to-shutdown-faster/

I have set it to 5000 (5 second wait) and my shutdown time is consistently below 13 seconds. No crashes or instability whatsoever.

Happy tweaking to everyone!

13. batkinson001

batkinson001 Notebook Consultant

great post, i used both tips and it improved my system, the system restore size limiter one was excellent, nice to cap that space hog finally. I can't believe it wanted to use 30GB as its default maximum size, i set it to 3Gb instead.

14. gelbegeld

gelbegeld Notebook Enthusiast

i installed tunexp 1.5 but no 'defrag' or anything similar appeared on taskmanager? help!!

15. Gautam

Gautam election 2008 NBR Reviewer

Thanks, flamenko. I am sure other users will benefit from this!

16. Les

Les Not associated with NotebookReview in any way

Wow!!! What a day!!!

First we, and I say we because this thread is moulding itself through collective efforts of all, became a sticky and then...

we were blessed with first page presence where we, once again, have been recognized!!!

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=3945

Thanks all!! Lets keep it going!!!

17. ooxxoo

ooxxoo Notebook Evangelist

Turning off UAC is silly... as are complaints about it. Windows should have been confirming this stuff before and they fixed an oversight. Mac OS X and Linux/Unix ALREADY DID THIS STUFF. I find it silly that people complain about it while espousing the virtues of OS X. News flash, Windows is fixing their old mistakes.

18. lxFOCUSxl

lxFOCUSxl Notebook Consultant

Dude if you want it On live It On But some people like it Off so let it Be

19. NeedALaptop07

NeedALaptop07 Notebook Consultant

Thanks for providing all of this! This has really helped my computer.

20. SaferSephiroth

SaferSephiroth The calamity from within

Wow what a monumental effort! Awesome.