NBR Vista Tips and Tweaks Guide

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows XP and Vista' started by Les, Sep 7, 2007.

1. Les

Les Not associated with NotebookReview in any way

Reputations:
    20Gb would be a safe OS partition and yes, quikset is included with the disk.

Nice to see your not panicking...so many do when they delete something like that.

2. elscorcho

elscorcho Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    great link, which alone makes up for the rest of this insipid thread.

3. Spoodo

Spoodo Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    haha, well, i'm kinda nervous. first time doing it on my own. one thing i like about dell, they provide you with everything you need, so there's less hassle and panic. if i install programs and games, would do so in the OS partition? or my own personal partition? just like to gather as much as i can before proceeding. do i need to insert MD cd in order to partition? or can that be done with the Vista Reinstallation CD? my bad for all the questions. Kinda noob at this.

4. Fittersman

Fittersman Wanna trade?

Reputations:
    i really like #2 (if it does what you claim it does, ill find out when i reboot) i was just wondering if that is the only option that actually works on vista, because most options arent working for me

5. elscorcho

elscorcho Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    you don't need to install any program to have this done.

go to the start menu and type in 'cmd'.
    right-click on the listing in the start menu and select 'Run As Administrator' (if you didn't disable UAC)

in the command prompt, type in 'defrag.exe %systemdrive% -b', without the quotes.

example: defrag.exe c: -b

that will limit the defrag to your startup files only and will only take a few minutes.

that said, this is mostly unnecessary since defrag will automatically run every X days (i believe it's three, though i've read elsewhere seven) whenever you're idle. the boot defrag will occur as a part of this process.

6. NateTheGreat503

NateTheGreat503 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Question on the CCleaner. What exactly does it do when you scan for Registry issues and then fix them? A little lost with that. (Sorry for the noob question)

7. trebuin

trebuin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Just a quick few things:
    Yes, tuneXP initiates the boot defrag, but it also has a separate defrag of its own, users of Win XP will see that there are two separate defrag processes. Vista will only show you one while a second does indeed function.

As for registry, again I emphasize not to use any utility including ccleaner to try to fix it. The registry is extremely small and any cleaning will not do much. The only improvements you could get is by defragging the registry with a utility like NTREGOPT. There a lot out there, this one is free. They all do the same thing: copy your current registry to a contiguous space and make them primary when you reboot. I run this on a shutdown script.

Cleaning it can only lead to future problems as there is probably not one program that will keep you from deleting valid links.

CCleaner does a decent job of cleaning your system, though I would set it to not delete your internet cache or cookies and I would set it to clean the c:\users\"your profile"\appdata\local\temp\*.* UPON SHUTDOWN as this gets relatively huge over time.

8. Spoodo

Spoodo Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Flamenko: I've finally done my clean install. it was so so easy. everything is as good as new, and now further tweaking vista. thanks!

9. Les

Les Not associated with NotebookReview in any way

Reputations:
    Re: Elschorcho's Advice:

I dont believe the DOS command prompts do what is specificaly shown in the picture below, and that is to rearrange your boot files to the front of the disk. For the most part, there is little defragging to the boot files themselves and this is shown on your systems successfull startup each time.

Further, Im hoping the idea here would be to make this as easy as possible for most, a thing which command line prompts is not for the average user.

Lastly, I would hope the cutting and comments that do not benefit others would fade in this thread for the benefit of the thread and forum; it a feature which doesn't help anyone (ie. "which alone makes up for the rest of this insipid thread")

If we are here to contribute...then do so for the benefit of all.

PS...For those who are unsure which files to watch after completing TuneXP, look at the included picture which shows both...defrag.exe and dfrgNTFS.exe.

The first time you use the program it may take over 30min to complete.

Attached Files:

10. digicamhelp

digicamhelp Notebook Consultant NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Yes, I'd be very interested.

I've been computing a long time and have done some minor tweaks along the way. But through the years I've learned it's best not to play with some things if you aren't experienced enough to fix it if you do something wrong along the way. And boy, have I.

I looked at a post at another site about how to change the size allocated for System Restore in Vista....you know, going through that black screen, typing in commands with white text. I just don't feel comfortable tweaking like that.

If my computer takes two minutes to book instead of one, it's okay with me.

I admire those who have the technical skills and confidence to tweak so deeply, but not all of us have.