1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

NBR Vista Tips and Tweaks Guide

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows XP and Vista' started by Les, Sep 7, 2007.

1. Les

Les Not associated with NotebookReview in any way

Actually, none of the Tweaks I have posted would do that.

I cant see that turning off any of those windows features would create that but maybe turn them back on and see.

2. ERL

ERL Notebook Guru

That's what I thought, too, Flamenko. I mean, I'm not exactly a computer illiterate, but it is noticeably slower. I'll give it another night or two of playing around....maybe it just takes a day.

Also, I don't know if it's any relation, but when I disabled indexing, it popped up a box that said c:\boot\memtest.exe is in use (ignore, ignore all, etc)

When I hit ignore, it came up with quite a few other programs from the c:\boot\ directory before I finally hit ignore all.

Typical, or odd?

3. Les

Never heard of that at all...Im gonna leave a pm for Treb to check out and give me his take on this.

4. crash

crash NBR Assassin Super Moderator

Definitely odd.

5. crash

BTW regarding tweak #5... turning off UAC after using it for a while can cause some software to stop working properly. Also, turning it on after having it disabled initially can cause problems. Therefore, you should indicate that if they want to turn it off they should do so initially and not turn it on again, or conversly, if they've had it on for a while, they should probably not turn it off.

6. Les

I have never experienced this or read about it anywhere in information articles but I will do some background and include that if it be the case.

7. ERL

ERL Notebook Guru

Super. I'll just hope that my laptop hangs on until I can get home to format it (where I can reload everything with patches, etc). Until then......I hope I didn't screw anything up.
    If I did, you're going to be reading in the paper about flamenko's lifeless corpse . (just kidding.....probably)

8. Les

What system are you using...a G1? Video Card???

9. crash

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?p=2427783

you have been warned of this before.. http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?p=2438675#post2438675

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_Account_Control#Criticism

http://technet2.microsoft.com/Windo...2b2f-422c-b70e-b18ff918c2811033.mspx?mfr=true
    ^everything you could ever want to know about UAC

Basically, the problem lies with file and registry virtualization, which UAC implements. I don't fully understand it so don't ask for a detailed analysis of it, but I know that it messes up settings and files when altered.

10. crash

He said he has a G1s. That means he has a 8600GT 256MB DDR3 video card.

11. trebuin

trebuin Notebook Evangelist

All you want to know about indexing:

while your computer is idle, indexing keeps your hard drive from going idle and starts searching every file on your computer and builds a tag into the file on the allocation table level and into the file system.

This is bad for laptops because while searching is faster, it constantly increases your system demand while idle...with the hard drive not able to idle, it will burn your battery faster.

The errors people see while changing it falls into the same category as trying to defray or change opened system files...you simply cannot modify them. Index writes information tagged to every file and it cannot change the system files. You have to either hit ignore or keep all the tags to the files and just disable the indexing service.

ERL: I read briefly your posts and this reminds me of an nVidia problem with drivers...sometimes some versions will not install right. nVidia is also know as one of those drivers that will not install over an older version correctly. The crashing of games and slower performance (seems like hardware lag, but windows will slow down through graphics...especially vista) seem to point to this. I'm totally shooting in the dark here, though. You can try running the boot defrag option with the -b switch, though it will not move anything to the outer edge of the disk.

12. ScuderiaConchiglia

ScuderiaConchiglia NBR Vaio Team Curmudgeon

Apparently it has to do with how Vista handles programs attempting to store data in the "Program Files" folders. It tries to prevent this by creating the "C:\ProgramData\" folder and then within it Vista creates folders for apps trying to write data to the corresponding "C:\ProgramFiles" folder for the application.

The only specific instance I have heard about thus far were with some games, but I suspect there may be other apps affected as well. There appeared to be no data lost when swiching modes, just that the apps were unable to LOCATE the missing data after the change. Changing back cured the issue. This is all anecdotal, I have NOT played with it myself. (I leave UAC on and intend to do so. I see no need to get rid of it. The minor inconvenience is well worth the protection it gains me.)

Gary

13. Les

I have read of this before and, unfortunately, I cannot tackle each and every issue brought up. When I received the above notice, coincidentally, I read another article that stated the same as what I had believed. Turning off UAC forces the system to store files in a different locale than is done when UAC is turned on. It doesn't say that it, in any way, negatively affects the performance and, in fact, turning off UAC is one of the better tweaks in the long run and is on the top of the lists on several sites.

I appreciate your help as i am dealing with another matter as well and, if you can find documented evidence that turning off UAC slows or damages your system in any way. Ide appreciate it.

14. trebuin

trebuin Notebook Evangelist

Thanks :) Try uninstalling and reinstalling your video cards, laptopvideo2go's version would be preferred. Do not install over...uninstall. When the installer is finished, look at the very last screen it gives you...read it. My past problems involved me not looking, the driver looked to install correct, but I didn't see the last screen saying that nVidia did not change anything...please reboot. I ended up stuck on VGA drivers and that was a pain to fix and will slow your system down horribly, more if it's vista.

15. crash

Yea. Maybe they didn't install correctly. laptopvideo2go.com has drivers with modded infs that work well and great tutorials on how to install them.

16. ScuderiaConchiglia

True, BUT... the indexing of any given file ONLY occurs once. It may be re-indexed if the modification date changes on the file. And indexing only occurs on certain types of files. So a system file like the registry that is changing constantly is not re-indexed. Also indexing occurs when the processor is idle. So the bottom line is, yes it eats up the battery as it initially indexes your drive. (Plug it in while that is happening.) Then it runs in the background only coming alive when a new file is added, when one is deleted or when a file has been modified (and then ONLY if it is of a type that indexing cares about).

It is a resource pig for the first couple of hours or even days, depending on how much idle time it finds. But after that there is a minor hit in performance. There is ONE place I definetely don't like the indexing service and that is it's integration with Outlook. For me it didn't work worth a damn. I disabled it in Outlook, but ONLY in Outlook. It works great for all other search needs.

Gary

17. crash

Turning UAC off increases performance. I did not state anything to the contrary. I was saying that there can be negative effects. They may not be "damaging", but can cause an inconvenience. I think it's noteworthy to state. Nothing in life is free.

It's possible these problems may be fixed with SP1, but who knows? :)

18. Les

SP one...right around the corner....lol

19. ScuderiaConchiglia

I didn't say a word about turning it off affecting performance. I am just verifying what another user told you, that turning it off my cause an unsuspecting user to think that suddenly some data may have disappeared. When in reality it may not have disappeared at all and turning UAC back on will "restore" the "missing" data. If you don't think it's important to note that in the tweak list. Fine. I think it would be good to add it as a footnote to the tweak, lest some poor soul have a coronary when their saved Halo3 game session suddenly disappears. :D

Turning off UAC may be on the top of many tweak lists, but it is negating a very important part of the scheme Vista uses to protect the users from malware. It's a personal preference. But I think it's a bad idea to suggest it as a tweak without warning folks as to the possible consequences. I see no problem suggesting it as a twek, don't get me wrong. I just think a word of caution should be included, that's all. There are lots of "newbies" out ther blindly installing every tweak they see from every source. Turning off UAC does not damage your system, but it does open it to potential damage.

I am not happy with the way Vista has implemented UAC, personally I think it needs a "don't ask me again about this program" option. So if we do the same thing a lot we don't get interrupted by it ecah time. I also think there is a certain amount of "dialog box fatigue" introduced by it to the point folks will not pay any attention when it DOES warn of something nefarious. Sort of like the "boy who cried wolf" fable. But I am willing to live with it. It doesn't impede the performance of any application other than the one with the current focus, background taks are unaffected. It's somewhat like the Unix systems approach to requiring privledged level access to certain functionality.

Gary

20. ScuderiaConchiglia

I totally agree with you. As I just said to flamenko, I can see some poor person having a coronary when suddenly their saved Halo3 game session is "gone".

As to it increasing "performance" I guess that depends on your definition of performance. Since it doesn't change the speed at which any application runs, and only affects the application with focus, I don't see it as a performance tweak. I'd categorize it as an annoyance tweak. Because without a doubt UAC is an annoyance! ;) But admittedly, I am quibbling semantics here.

Gary