NBR Vista Tips and Tweaks Guide

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows XP and Vista' started by Les, Sep 7, 2007.

1. Les

Les Not associated with NotebookReview in any way

Reputations:
    This is exactly why Im asking everyone PLEASE...PLEASE...PLEASE dont post tweaks here. PM them to me and we wil discuss them so they don't cause this result. I promise I will post them if they are, in fact deserving, and give you credit.

Bigspin...see above as I have now attached my results again.

2. Anzial

Anzial Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    1) Flamenko, still rep-whoring?
    2) I can't believe no one mentioned blackviper site... a wealth of info on optimizing vista and xp :)
    http://www.blackviper.com/

3. Synthesia

Synthesia Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Wow that TuneXP proggie is from May 2004 already, and works fine with Vista, nice to know. However, I was wondering, isn't there such a feature included in any tweaking program made specially for Vista?

4. Les

Reputations:
    Anzial...

The thread is not even three days old and weve asked people to not just throw things in the open. You have the knowledge to understand blackviper but many do not and will jump right in and supertweak their system not knowing the ramifications.

If you have an idea, by all means PM me; the thread is created for all levels of users. If its used, you will get credit.

If you don't like the thread, there are tons others.

Synthesia,

No, for some reason there is no other Vista specific freeware that accomplishes this so well.

5. Anzial

Anzial Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    unlike you, flamenko, i believe ppl can decide for themselves what they can and cannot do. Besides, blackviper's site is for ALL levels of users. but by all means, continue rep-whoring, i don't care.

6. ppen1

ppen1 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I'm getting "failed to get data for Start" error message when I start TuneXP. No processes showing after doing the ultrafast booting. This is running as administrator. Without that, I'm getting "failed to get data for DisablePagingExecutive"

any ideas?

7. Les

Reputations:
    Ignore the first little msg box. You need to open Task Manager after it says its complete and to wait until defregging is completed and watch the two processes (defrag.exe/NTFSDfrg.exe) When they dissappear, you are done.

As for the last I am unsure.

8. ppen1

ppen1 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    thanks flamenko but I don't see the 2 processes in task manager at all.

9. Les

Reputations:
    Make sure that "Show all processes from all users" is checked and they should be there. Also, if they arent there, click on 'Image name' which will put everything alphabetically. They take 20-30 min to complete.

10. trebuin

trebuin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    1) "failed to get data for Start" will happen on vista because this is not XP.
    2) because of this, you should use ONLY the "ultrafast booting" option, many of the other stuff will be broken by the differences in vista.
    3) try opening taskman first, then sort by name, scroll to around the d's then run the defrag. If no defrag anything shows within 10 mins, reboot, uninstall the program, and reinstall the program, make sure you select the windows partition and give it one more try. If it doesn't work, then you might be out of luck until someone can reproduce and fix this bug.