1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

NBR Vista Tips and Tweaks Guide

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows XP and Vista' started by Les, Sep 7, 2007.

1. andrewt4ASU

andrewt4ASU Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    hey so does anybody have a suggestion?
    oh and flamenko, how many processes do you run at startup?

2. Les

Les Not associated with NotebookReview in any way

Reputations:
    I have 59 process running but I havent really attacked that tweak yet...Im one of these nuts who picks and prods at everything then finally one day puts it all together perfect. I have at least 3-4 more clean installs with fine tuning before I get to where I want.

When you reran tuneXP...what was your time? Did it decrease?

Also, I run an SSD. I dont believe I would be under 30-35sec without the SSD... I must admit though, Tweak # 1 shaved a solid 5 secs in itself.

3. tango3065

tango3065 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Nope even after removing the program it still works great on my system, if it ever starts lagging again I will just install and run it again since I installed it on my must have program flash drive.

4. andrewt4ASU

andrewt4ASU Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    ya i think i run now around 1:45ish... i guess i just have a slow boot. plus i have the password enabled. guess i should disable that.

5. wax4213

wax4213 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I wouldn't. Any password is better than no password, unless you leave it on sticky notes all throughout your office. It's a small hassle to pay for a decent amount of security, and really, who cares about the extra 2 seconds it takes to type in your password.

6. calot

calot Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I had a 75 second boot up now I have a 55 second bootup thanks to tune xp. I guess... So its good.

Flamenko: How do i get to that thing to make my ssd faster? I cant find it anywhere.

7. Les

Reputations:
    It may be different with a Sony than with a dell, although I wouldnt think so as Intel is Intel...

Check your Sony manual and see how to get to your bios on startup.

With a dell, you hit F12 when the initial Dell screen comes up. It even says it top right of the screen

Once in the bios setup...follow what i wrote before to see if you are in AHCI mode.

8. calot

Reputations:
    I think I got to the bios screen.. is that where you can choose the bootup order? I got there! but couldnt find anything about what you were saying...any other way to get there? thanks

9. Les

Reputations:
    No...it is where you select your boot order.

Now I dont know exactly what that setup information contains. In Dells setup there is a place for selection of the hard drive in ATA/AHCI mode.

10. calot

Reputations:
    Under properties of my hard drive there is something that says "enable advanced performance" but it is unchecked.. should i check it? "enable drive caching" is checked though..

11. Les

Reputations:
    Yes and yes...that would be it. Now... if it freezes up at all its because you may need to install the matrix storage Manager which I believe would be available through Sony drivers section. It is also available through Intel.

Some dont require it.

Worst comes to worst, you just come back and change the settings back right.

The change in these settings increased the entire response of my SSD another 10mb/sec

12. calot

Reputations:
    Im gonna go to sony support webpage, look for the intel matrix storage thing and then enable advanced performance... Ill reboot, do the hd tune and let you know how it went :D

13. batkinson001

batkinson001 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    hey guys, i checked out that anandtech link posted earlier in the thread, the guy there recommends opera over ff/ie, is that actually better than ff or is it just his personal preference?

also anyone know of a tutorial for switching over from firefox/thunderbird to opera? I am thinking of giving it a try. it should be pretty good if nintendo is using it on their wii and ds systems right?

14. calot

Reputations:
    No intel matrix storage. I dont have SATA, mine is Ultra ATA. Its 1.8 inch. :( I checked the advanced performance... and it seems a liiiittle bit faster but more unstable.. ill post the pictures when hd tune finishes

15. Les

Reputations:
    Good luck...you remind me of how I do things...

Just barrel ahead and worry about the aftereffects later. It can always be fixed.

16. calot

Reputations:
    Nevermind about the unstability. I fixed it, I had utorrent running, I closed it and it was exactly the same as before without the advanced performance thing. Well, maybe it performs better in other stuff. Ill give a try then maybe switch it back if I dont like it.

17. Les

Reputations:
    Personally, I saw the diff only in the HDTune tests...

18. calot

Reputations:
    Well Im gonna use it for a couple of days. then decide if I keep it... or not. In the meanwhile Ill keep checking here for more tweaks! :D

19. Les

Reputations:
    I try to add them once a day or so...Keep in touch. Us SSD guys need to stick together!

20. calot

Reputations:
    Yes! SSD guys rock.. lol! Im very happy with my SSD. I had read that the tz150(100gb 4200rpm) was SUPER NASTY-SLOW. But mine is very very fast actually. Im very happy with it. I love SSD. And besides, I really dont need more than 32 gigs, and even so, I got myself an 8gb memory stick that I have in my computer all the time for movies and music. Love it.