NBR How-To Guide for Outlet Shopping: HP, Dell and Lenovo

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Charles P. Jefferies, Aug 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies TG Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    This is a guide I've been meaning to sticky for some time. Many of you who have asked or are browsing for advice have noticed our forum regulars mentioning stores such as "HP Outlet" and "Dell Outlet"; take a look at our article here which explains the ins and outs of what these outlet stores are and why they're a great alternative to buying new (as a matter of fact, many of the products they sell are actually new):

http://www.notebookreview.com/howto/nbr-how-to-outlet-shopping-for-hp-dell-and-lenovo-notebooks/

2. FidaGillani

FidaGillani Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    thanks for the post, it was really helpful.

3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope.

Reputations:
    Great article.

4. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I'd add a few things. I wouldn't visit the Dell Outlet without hitting the Dell Outlet Twitter account, where Dell posts coupon codes regularly. 20-30% is common, sometimes more depending the machine, and this is off already discounted pricing. If you can wait for the right coupon, which shouldn't take too long, you can do even better. I've heard HP and to a lesser extent Lenovo, are willing to haggle, so if you've got some negotiating skills and want a particular machine, that may be an option to lower the price.

With regards to warranty, I believe Dell and HP give the buyer the warranty that originally came with the machine. So, if it came with one year originally, you'll get one year of warranty from an outlet purchase. If it came with three years, you'll get three years of warranty on a HP refurbed machine.

Lenovo is different in this regard as all their outlet machine come with a one year, regardless of what the machine originally had. This can cause some confusion because when customers receive their machines and do the warranty look up, it sometimes states the original warranty period, which is incorrect. Most new ThinkPads have IWS, but outlet machines do not, nor can it be added. For a long time, Lenovo would only allow post-warranty upgrades for their outlet machines, which is expensive, but I believe they've relaxed this, though I haven't been following it closely and don't have the details.

Another nice thing about the Dell Outlet is their return policy is fairly liberal, 21 days and I believe they pick up the return shipping, at least they did on the few returns I made. That takes the fear out of buying if you're on the fence at all. You know you won't be stuck with it if you don't like it. Lenovo was hellbent on the collection of restock fees for a long time, but it's been a while since I bought anything from them, so they may have moderated their stance in light of Dell's willingness to forgive. You might want to check the details if you're considering a purchase.

pitz, Terarant, Loreyn and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.