NBR Forums Suggestion Box

Discussion in 'Site Suggestions, Announcements and Guidelines' started by Charles P. Jefferies, May 6, 2011.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Were you looking at swapping that delidding tool with another object from someone, or gifting it to someone? I thought you were looking for a deserving person to gift it? If so that recommendation seems to fit, as this posting there indicates:

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
    Vasudev and Dr. AMK like this.
  2. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    @Charles P. Jefferies

Is there a way on XenForo to have a post count spam plugin?

On some sites, if I were to post a consecutive message without someone having had replied to my previous post, then that post won't be counted as new and I won't get a new post count, rather, their system which they have merges my new post with the last one posted as a single post.

I am seeing a lot of people here make a post, then within a few minutes make another, which IMHO is considered post count spam there is an edit button for a reason. sometimes they might post more then 3 to 4 messages even.

2019-06-14_030242.jpg

Edit: Found it!

Auto Merge Double Posts
    Automatically merge posts from people that haven't yet understood what this dubious edit function is.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    Vasudev, hmscott and Dr. AMK like this.
  3. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja and Options Whore

Reputations:
    I understand you feeling that double posts are post count "whores".
    But many times when in a thread "conversation" (not a private message) If I edit my post, others have already read it and the edits will go unnoticed. This has happened to me more than once when reading a post.
    So I make a second post immediately after the first. I do it so everyone gets the information I am posting. I really don't care about my "post count" numbers.
    Later on I have seen mods combine my posts and that is ok. I just want to give people a chance to read what I post.

hmscott likes this.
  4. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    If your post is the last post in a thread, then you edit it a few minutes later, it's still the last post and the center of attention in that thread.

I understand if others replied after your post then you'd probably want to tag someone to draw their attention to the edit but we are talking about a different scenario here. Last post, then one posts another post, if not a few other posts.

hmscott likes this.
  5. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    We generally combine consecutive posts from the same user if we see it. I think most users who make consecutive posts aren't doing so to raise their post count. At this time we're likely not going to install a plugin, though I know the kind you're talking about.

Charles

katalin_2003, hmscott and Shawn like this.
  6. rlk

rlk Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    There are perfectly legitimate reasons to do this; if one replied to multiple distinct messages, it's often cleaner to reply to each one individually than to combine them. I don't recall that this board supports threading, but for boards that do, separate replies definitely make it easier to track the replies.

Shawn and hmscott like this.
  7. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Multiquote comments are a thing though. Just have a quote from each comment that you want to reply to, do the reply, then go to the next quote & reply, etc.

Spartan@HIDevolution and hmscott like this.
  8. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I add to my last post if it is the last post in the thread, and even if it isn't the last in the thread I'll do that - often in fact - I'll add the reply text with the quoted post I am replying to to the top of my last post - so that @username will alert the user I am responding to. I'm not sure if everyone on Watch for that thread will get an alert too - they might since I added an @ to the post, but either way my last post will still show up as the most recent post in the next level up forum.

There are times I will reply to a post when coming back after being gone for a while, and after that is posted I'll see posts show up that weren't there before - they don't all always pop up, and in that case I will immediately reply and copy the text to the post I just made as above.

But, if the topic / focus is very different than the existing post, I won't always add it and I will create a new post - especially if it's been many hours, day or days in between.

Even so, sometimes I'll reply and then sometime later post something new - not a reply - after a few hours / day I'll post a new post. If that goes on for a few days I might have 3 or 4 posts with no intervening post made - slow thread? - in the span of a week.

At the weekend I'll occasionally find all of those posts combined into 1 post, and as you I wonder what is accomplished by doing this. It's not like it's taking less space, and now someone that want's to reply to a post out of 4 or 5 is going to have to slice up the text - edit it - to reply to what they want instead of having it buried in the mass of a bunch of posts. Besides that the dates of the posts are lost and so I don't know (and they don't know) the time and date when I made each original post before it was blobbed.

I've found I rarely get a reply to anything in those blob posts, and find it disappointing after all that time and effort to see those blobs appear.

Then I'll post a separate post with similar material and get a response.

So after all of that description, what's the point of combining a bunch of posts anyway? I don't give a crap about my post count, after a point many years ago now I have the abilities given by new posts - there are no more milestones and there haven't been any for quite a while, so I don't care about post count.

@Ultra Male does care about those non-milestone milestones so I guess that mindset makes him sensitive to those things - seeing "post whoring" when the rest of us are just trying to share ideas and help others while trying to keep relevant posts together and non-relevant posts separate.

Please don't "blob" our posts. ;)

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  9. ALLurGroceries

ALLurGroceries   Super Moderator

Reputations:
    We generally merge all consecutive posts from the same author as a matter of policy. There is no debate about this, only a limit of moderator time.

Besides inflating post count, consecutive posts (or stacking posts) inflates thread page count, and there is a fixed number of posts per page on xenForo.

Apologies for quoting myself, but here is how to multi-quote:

10. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja and Options Whore

Reputations: