NBR Forums Suggestion Box

Discussion in 'Site Suggestions, Announcements and Guidelines' started by Charles P. Jefferies, May 6, 2011.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
  2. t456

t456 1977-09-05, 12:56:00 UTC Moderator

Reputations:
    What's that :vbbiggrin: ?

3. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    More complete Alert / Notification processing would be nice.

I've meant to mention for a while that I often find new posts showing in watched threads with "New Posts", and never see an Alert notification for them.

I assume it's due to system load, when the load gets too high and alerts are piling up and not getting delivered then some get dropped and never sent?

IDK if more CPU processing power would help to keep up? Faster IO?

Jarhead likes this.
  4. Jarhead

Jarhead I Seek You

Reputations:
    I've had the same issue for months...

hmscott likes this.
  5. slimmolG

slimmolG Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Let's say you want to start a thread or reply to a post using a block of text with complex formatting (indents/lists, links, images, etc), yet you would like to review a couple options for clarity before you post. And you want to check the options without accidently posting it or dealing with the draft auto-save issue addressed by @Charles P. Jefferies. And for ease of comparison, you wanted to compare the versions side-by-side in a couple browser windows.

The "reply preview" function does exist on the site, but it requires several clicks to get to and doesn't allow for side-to-side comparisons. And, if you decide you don't want to post, and head back to the thread, your text can magically reappear as well. Same thing with the create a thread page; come back later and there's your half-written abandoned message.

Is there a dummy thread reply box or "create a thread" page where you can paste your text block/BBcode for reviewing? If not can we get one? It seems it would be easy enough to create and wouldn't use any resources.

Edit:
    My original post wasn't actually in the NBR Forums Suggestion Box... whoops! Maybe I really do need a DummyBox!
    P.S. Thanks to the Mod on duty for the merge :)

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
  6. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies TG Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The reply preview is what's available ...if you find a XenForo add-on (that's our forum software) that allows what you want, post a link and I can certainly look at getting/buying it.

Charles

7. slimmolG

slimmolG Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thanks for the quick reply Charles. Not to argue the point, but I thought it would be as simple as duplicating the thread creation page and removing the 'save' link from the form, etc.

I'll take a look around for an add-on. I'd promise to make one... but I hate to lie so close to Christmas :p