NBR Forum Advertisements causing high CPU & RAM usage

Discussion in 'Site Suggestions, Announcements and Guidelines' started by Robbo99999, Jul 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. downloads

downloads Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    While I did not notice any performance penalty related to flash usage I though did notice that it's being used fairly early after we moved to XF and I blocked it - using flash in a forum is the most unnecessary step ever.
    I'm using the non-flash uploader and I can't say I've suffered - which considering I still have the most uploaded media to NBR - means it shouldn't be a problem.

2. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Cool, I reckon that could be a good experiment, I personally don't mind that being tried. If you do try it, then I'll monitor CPU usage to see if it's seems to have been reduced on average - (sometimes this site causes high CPU usage, other times not, or maybe it comes down to which forum threads or pages I load).

3. TR2N

TR2N Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I am with Robbo.
    Let's see what happens...
    Brub let us know when its off.
    :)

Robbo99999 likes this.
  4. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Hi @brubenstein . Still high CPU usage on this site in comparison to other sites after the recent update you did (yesterday I believe). It's the advertisements - it's mostly cured by using Adblock. Is that something you're addressing - that's different to the Flash Uploader you were talking about right?

EDIT: Turning on Adblock takes CPU usage down to normal 5% CPU usage on average, whereas without Adblock it's about 30% CPU usage on average, but can go up to as high as nearly 50% sustained sometimes. That's unusual to this site, CPU usage high for this site. What can be done about this do you think? (means that CPU fan is always on, normally it's off when web browsing - occassional slow downs when entering messages - typing response is slow).

EDIT #2: found a way to use Adblock to only block ads on specific sites, but allow them everywhere else, so have now just blocked ads on forum.notebookreview.com and tomshardware.co.uk - now I don't feel like I'm breaking the internet!

Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
  5. Flav_cool

Flav_cool Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This is still a problem for me. I stopped using AdBlock and now it's really annoying to come on these forums (which I love) due to the CPU usage and heat generation. In chrome, the tabs keep flashing at the top up to a few times a second. Any updates?

hmscott likes this.
  6. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Why would you stop using adblock?

Maybe try uBlock Origin, which is available in Chrome. And, Privacy Badger.

I also use the Great Suspender to stop background tabs so only the active tab is using resources.

7. Flav_cool

Flav_cool Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The permissions granted to it are "Read and change all your data on the websites you visit". They basically have access to all of your browsing info, and because they were bought out about a year or so ago it's hard to trust them.

hmscott likes this.
  8. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    How about uBlock Origin? Or Privacy Badger?

The Great Suspender can be set up to allow only the front most tab to get resources, so that will help too.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
  9. chezzzz

chezzzz Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    This is the only forum/site that I have ever used that consistently causes my browser (Firefox) to lock up/freeze ....and quite often, crash. Think you should add even more obnoxious advertising, and pop-ups ....and more aggressive page re-direction. really makes the user experience here not only more enjoyable, but also quite exceptional !

10. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Use the style chooser and try vB 3.x - Fluid.

I use no ad-blocking software and have not experienced issues with performance.

Charles

chezzzz and hmscott like this.