NBR Forum Advertisements causing high CPU & RAM usage

Discussion in 'Site Suggestions, Announcements and Guidelines' started by Robbo99999, Jul 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Hi All, wondered if you'd noticed too that Notebook Review Forums in particular seem to increase CPU & RAM usage more than the average website you visit. It's increased CPU & RAM usage to such an extent on my laptop that it's even slowed down the keystroke response when typing a message into the forums, let alone increasing page load time. I've tested this out by using AdBlock in Chrome to disable advertisments and these problems I've listed don't occur. Some forum pages are worse than others in this respect - there was one thread that was behaving very slowly, and when I then enabled AdBlock to restore performance by reducing CPU & RAM usage it let me know it was blocking 100 ads! I thought this was strange behaviour & thought I should report this. I feel that I need to use AdBlock when using Notebook Review Forums, whereas I don't need to do this for other websites. Anyone experienced this peculiarity with Notebook Review Forums?

2. J.Dre

J.Dre Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    That's why I made this post here. It is ridiculous.

Robbo99999 likes this.
  3. Robbo99999

Reputations:
    Yep, that's what I'm seeing. Most of the time I disable AdBlock and surf the internet, and when I come on NBR I forget to turn on AdBlock - then after 10 mins say it will start slowing down page loads, and even slowing down the typing speed in creating forum messages - I'll then look at Task Manager and see that RAM usage has increased by say 2GB and CPU usage fixed at like 33% - upon enabling adblock RAM usage decreases instantly by 2GB (say) and CPU usage goes back to a sensible 0-1%!

Have mods or System Administrators got anything to add to this dicussion? I wanted to bring it to your attention because this CPU & RAM usage is peculiar to this forum (notebook review forums).

4. ATG

ATG 2x4 Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Moderators have zero control/say over the ad insertion, hopefully the admins can tell you something..

5. Robbo99999

Reputations:
    Admins, any thought on the subject of this thread? Re this site having higher CPU & RAM usage due to ads, more so than any other sites I visit. Causing slow downs in page loading & even slow downs in the typing of forum messages - more detail in previous posts.

6. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK) BAKED BEAN KING

Reputations:
  7. brubenstein

brubenstein Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi Robbo - I'll pass this along to our site developers to see if there is anything that can be done here.

Papusan and Robbo99999 like this.
  8. Robbo99999

Reputations:
    Thanks, good idea. I don't think you want to be forcing everyone into using Adblock on your site!

9. tijo

tijo Sacred Blame Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Just chiming in, I'm using vB3.x fluid style and so far I haven't seen ads even with my adblock turned of, any member can change the forum style as a workaround in the mean time.

10. brubenstein

brubenstein Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So to give a little more context here - the high CPU/RAM usage is likely caused by a third-party service we use which turns any links to merchants within posts to valid affiliate links - it does these in real-time using javascript, hence the high usage. We're looking into whether there is a faster version of the service that might improve things.

Robbo99999 likes this.