NBR Folding@home Team

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by DR650SE, Dec 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ayle

Ayle Trailblazer

Reputations:
    Probably failed bearings in the pump. It's clicking.

2. reborn2003

reborn2003 THE CHIEF!

Reputations:
    We're getting close to that 150 MILLION team WooT!!! haha. :thumbsup:

Cheers. :)

Cloudfire, DR650SE and AESdecryption like this.
  3. AESdecryption

AESdecryption Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    We shot over 150 million yesterday, huzzah!

4. HopelesslyFaithful

HopelesslyFaithful Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    :( looks like i won't be getting a card until late 2014 or early 2015 :/ nvidia isn't even coming out with a 20nm this year. Looks like i won't be adding a lot of PPD to us :/ I'll loose my 4th place :( (well soon to be 4th place)

Who ever was looking into getting a card you might be able to buy now but i am unsure how much of a boost the new cards will be. Though amd's card is out in the next couple months and nivida's will be out late this year or early next year. The article is interesting.

NVIDIA to launch more cards this year, Maxwell in Q1 2014 | VideoCardz.com

Comparison of Nvidia graphics processing units - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

assuming this is accurate...why is there such a huge boost in DPFLOPs for the titan? the SPFLOPs are very close but the DP ones are like 8 times higher? How does that work? Also what does F@H use?

nevermind...when looking at AMD their compute still destroys Nvidia. The titans compute is nothing special. Basically nvidia just fixed their terrible compute performance on the Titan ^^

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compar...g_units#Southern_Islands_.28HD_7xxx.29_Series

gezz a 7990 is cheap compared to a titan. 600-700 vs 1000-1200 o_O

shesh the 7990 eats the titan in many games too ^^ I want one ^^

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6915/amd-radeon-hd-7990-review-7990-gets-official

hell it is almost barely 4k ready too ^^. You could arguably play shoguns with overclock at 4k res. 30-40 FPS I would estimate but hey you can ^^

Anyone have any thought son what we might be expecting from the next series of cards? Since i don't really see any cheap 4k TVs coming to market with a DP i really don't feel like buying a new card that would really only be for folding :/ If a cheap 4k screen existed i would probably buy a 7990 ^^ Compulsive i know....i think reborn and DR are rubbing off on me :/ wife is going to kill me -_-

Figure a cheap 4k screen won't exist with DP or HDMI 2.0 for at least another year. I will just wait for 20nm GPUs ^^ Also HDMI is such garbage. When it comes out with 2.0 it will just abrely support 60x on 4k -_- DP has done that for the last what 4 years? Sigh :'(

reborn2003 likes this.
  5. AESdecryption

AESdecryption Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I wouldn't say there aren't workable alternatives, there is a 13.3" 3200x1800 display laptop (available after October). You could possibly attach the 7990 as a eGPU or something.

eGPU reference (nando4's post/guide).

6. Ayle

Ayle Trailblazer

Reputations:
    F@H is single precision last time I checked. Nvidia cripple the DP performance of their geforce cards. The only way to get full DP performance is to go Tesla. The only reason why the Titan is so good at DP calculation(still weaker than a 7970) is because it is a slightly detuned Tesla card.

7. HopelesslyFaithful

Reputations:
    got a magnifying glass for that? 13.3 in is a little bit smaller than 50 inches or even 37 in

8. Marecki_clf

Marecki_clf Homo laptopicus

Reputations:
    I entered TOP10! WOOT WOOT! ;)

Like a baws! ;)

9. Jobine

Jobine Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    So this is the educational version of Bitcoin mining? Interesting.

10. HopelesslyFaithful

Reputations:
    not really....there are no coins or currency....it is just donating your electricity/money and computer time to science...aka not a complete economic waste of resources

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.