NBR Folding@home Team

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by DR650SE, Dec 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reborn2003

reborn2003 THE CHIEF!

Reputations:
    HAHA wow nice lol. :p

Unfortunately only the 7 series and above showed more benefit and improvement with the latest folding changes and GPU enhancements with the new beta core 17 WU's. The 6990s aren't strong enough and will show very little to no real benefit.

Still nice to have them running :thumbsup:
    Are they OC? Perhaps OC them a little and you should get a little nice boost. Compared to the mobile 6990M they should run quite nicely still for folding. No where near a desktop 7970 though ;)

Cheers. :)

bigtonyman likes this.
  2. AESdecryption

AESdecryption Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I don't even OC for gaming, overclocking any good hardware for folding doesn't seem worth killing the life of it. Also, GPUs take quiet alot of power (and its the 6990 we're talking about).

3. HopelesslyFaithful

HopelesslyFaithful Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    killing it's life? shesh if your that worried about it i must have been lucky that all my stuff still functions ^^

Also for F@H it appears to accept a lot hgher clocks than gaming...not sure why

reborn2003 likes this.
  4. bigtonyman

bigtonyman Desktop Powa!!!

Reputations:
    Depends how you over clock. If you just up the clock speeds you should be fine. Its when you up the voltage that you might see parts eventually die. ;)

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk 4

5. HopelesslyFaithful

Reputations:
    only if your an idiot -_-

6. bigtonyman

Reputations:
    look at what happened to all those 580m's that died over time when people used the higher voltage vbios's. Sometimes it works, and sometimes you will kill your cards. Its all a gamble sometimes.

7. HopelesslyFaithful

Reputations:
    never heard anything about it....i am rocking higher volts no problem and done it with a few things. If i could only cool my 920xm a little better i would push 4GHz :/ sadly i have not been able to get any further with it...also haven't had time.

8. bigtonyman

Reputations:
    CPU's aren't really as prone to dieing as GPU's when overvolting from what i've seen. Just a personal opinon though. :)

9. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    If my overvolted GPU dies I'll be sure to let people know on the forums here. I'm running mine slightly overvolted for all the games that I play on it. I haven't found that many stories of people frying their mobile GPUs by doing so, although I have heard the same stories with the 580M, they were borderline anyway due to running hot & close the the 100W TDP even at stock settings. I think Kepler are a little more efficient, with more overhead to their stated TDP's. But, I'll certainly let people know if mine dies, and then I would have learned from my own mistake too!

10. HopelesslyFaithful

Reputations:
    too bad you don;t have that 680MX mmmmmmmmmmm nice system though also 37mv is really small ^^ i think i am at .05v right now on my 7970m maybe i lowered it....i can't remember

reborn2003 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.