1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

NBR Folding@home Team

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by DR650SE, Dec 9, 2011.

1. DR650SE

DR650SE The Whiskey Barracuda

Reputations:
    What is the difference between these two slot flags? Anyone have any ideas? I just changed mine on my GPUs/SMP from beta to advanced. See if I get any different work units.

One guide I saw said use client-type | beta for beta work units, the explanation on the Staford site shows client-type | advanced will get you beta work units.

client-type | advanced
    client-type | beta

2. Jarhead

Jarhead Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I damaged my GPU while upgrading my tower with extra hard drives, so I'm dropping out of folding for a week or two :/ Probably longer since I'll be on break and electricity isn't "free" lol.

3. DR650SE

Reputations:
    Ahh, bummer. Sorry you damaged the GPU. What happened and how bad is the damage? Enjoy your break!

4. Jarhead

Reputations:
    Was adding hard drives, it was getting in the way so I took it out of the PCI-e slot, but kept the power cables attached, letting the card rest on the side of the case (case was on my lap). Tilted it and it slid off, banging the side of the case >.<

5. DR650SE

Reputations:
    Ouch. IF you replace it, you should check with the people on the folding forum over at overclock.net I think something like the 560TI is supposed to be one of the most effcient cards in terms of PPD/watts. If I had the change, I'd throw my 980x in a case with 4x 560TI. Overclock the outta them too :D. And use that folding box to heat my nursery :p

6. HopelesslyFaithful

HopelesslyFaithful Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    still perplexed how card with 2-3 times the Double precision floating points do less per watt/even day

7. DR650SE

Reputations:
    Yea, I don't know the specifics, but a lot of what I read suggests that 560TI is great, so who knows. I need to do some learning on that.

Side note: Wish I had the money to run a folding farm like this...
    Atlas Folder - 23 nVidia GTX295 GPU Folding Farm - YouTube
    [video=youtube_share;KjOW5iW7dJQ]http://youtu.be/KjOW5iW7dJQ[/video]

8. HopelesslyFaithful

Reputations:
    get new GPUs down the road after they get optimized and get some of the intels tera cards or whatever. i guess they are 1TF per 300 watts not 62 watts. The tera card that was that efficient was some weird prototype. BTW that is 1TF x86 lol so slap 14 3720qms together to get that o_O

9. DR650SE

Reputations:
    Ok guys, need some input. This weekend I plan set up a date for the NBR foldathon. I also want to determine how long it will last. Overclock.net usually does monthly foundations each lasting 48 hours.

What I need are suggestions one date. I thjmk two days is good. I'd like to do a week, but I think that's not realistic for nee people jus wanting participate.

Let me know when you think would be an ideal date as well as length.

Also, is there somewhere online where I can created a spread sheet to have people signup? This way I can enter the names of all foldathon folders in to a drawing and track who folds during the foldathon by matching the names to Kakao or another stats database.

Hopefully we can increase participation, climb the ranks, build camaraderie, and fold for the cause and science.

Let me know your ideas and suggestions! Thanks folding peeps!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2

10. Jarhead

Reputations:
    Not sure about the dates, but for the spreadsheet, can't you use Google Docs and have people sign in there? Not sure how you'd pull in PPD data (or whatever you're measuring) unless the tracking websites offer some sort of script.

11. HopelesslyFaithful

Reputations:
    google docs work

12. DR650SE

Reputations:
    Hey guys, Looking for some feedback. I've used the overclock.net post for thier foldathon to create something for the NBR foldathon. I have started the outline in an old post so please disregard the first paragraph. I did not want to create a new thread or post, as it is in the works. Please let me know what I need to add/delete or clarify. Also if you have any suggestions for a date let me know. Right now I'm thinking Jan 7-9 2013.

Draft foldathon post

13. HopelesslyFaithful

Reputations:
    i'll read over it later but i personally like the concept of a week a thon not a couple day a thon

14. DR650SE

Reputations:
    Good call. I'll make it Jan 7th-14th. More time for WUs to be completed, people to get setup. Good call!

15. HopelesslyFaithful

Reputations:
    i feel better knowing people have to work for a week to get my stuff than two days also evens it out....people that are more dedicated have a better chance compared to someone with a bunch of spare computers....also are we doing this over sheer points or active time? not everyone has 10 computers.....reborn

16. DR650SE

Reputations:
    Good question. I'm not sure how I would track points since there are a lot of existing members. Maybe use the last 7 days column in Kakao stats? My original thought was to enter participants into a random drawing. Thoughts?

Sent from my Samsung Captivate/ICS CM9 via Tapatalk.

17. HopelesslyFaithful

Reputations:
    well opera crashed and lost what i typed so i dont care. basically 50% be activity and 50% be total points

or do two ladders activity and total points

more i think about it the more i like the latter on having two ladders

18. Marecki_clf

Marecki_clf Little boy forever...

Reputations:
    UPDATE: NAN errors (Not A Number calculation output) happen even on WHQL drviers (12.10) with non OCed GPU. It's very frustrating if this happens when a WU is finished in ~90%...

19. DR650SE

Reputations:
    How would I be able to measure activity? Other than work units and points, I don't know how I would track that. That's one of the reasons I figured a random drawing would work. Puts people with one system on even footing with powerhouse desktops and people with lots of systems.

I also updated the draft post with a sign up form I created. I may tweak it or add other fields.

Sent from my Samsung Captivate/ICS CM9 via Tapatalk.

20. HopelesslyFaithful

Reputations:
    you could easily use excel to type in starting score and ending score and have it just subtract it for you and you would get total score. Also when people sign up they can post your PPD so that would solve that for you. Also the fold athon is to get people to be competitive and fold so a random draw would give people no reason to try their best and fold as much as possible.