NBR Apple Core

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by Redline, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Nick

Nick Mr.Mischief

Reputations:
    I recently picked up a Retina MacBook Pro 13, and I'd like to comment on the performance. Several reviewers commented negatively about the graphic performance, so I was a little worried. I have Netflix up on one desktop playing a show in HD, with the browser game Uberstrike on another desktop. Switching between desktops while both were running was pretty smooth. As I'm writing this, I still have the Netflix video playing, and switching back and forth is perfectly smooth. If you're considering the rMBP, I still recommend waiting for the refresh. But, if you find a 2012 model for a great price(like I did), go for it.

2. Johnny T

Johnny T Forum Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Long time Windows user, picked up a 2013 MBA as a portable machine (still have a Windows Desktop for certain tasks). The battery life is great and the trackpad is a nice change to say the least (both the hardware and the gestures).

3. steviejones133

steviejones133 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Hey guys - this is as good a place as any to ask this question.

I was wondering if anyone has got a MacBook Air Superdrive to work on a non-apple Windows PC? - only asking as I picked one up today that I could not leave on the shelf for the price. It's a nice looking drive, so I'd like to use it.....it's either gonna be a case of 'use it or sell it'. I would be using with the Ultrabook in my signature. I'd try it myself, but I'd prefer to leave it sealed just in case its a no-go...in which case, expect to see it in the Marketplace soon LOL :D

Any feedback on this would be very welcome, as would any instructions on how to make it work!

TIA - Stevie.

4. doh123

doh123 Without ME its just AWESO

Reputations:
    never tried one on anything but a Mac.... should just be a standard drive usable on anything though

5. steviejones133

Reputations:
    From what I've found on Google, they are not 'plug and play' with a Windows 7 PC. They require some tweaking. Something to do with AppleODDinstaller.exe found in bootcamp. I wasn't sure if anyone who owns a superdrive had actually tried it on their Windows 7 non-Apple notebook/desktop maybe.......

Basically, just want to be 100% sure it will work for me before break the factory cellophane on it.....so, any help appreciated!

6. steviejones133

Reputations:
    Rafix likes this.
  7. Algus

Algus Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well I've been slowly converting to all Apple over the last year or so. Figured I might as well start waving the flag, even though I tell people not to get MacBooks ALL THE TIME in the What To Buy forum, lol! Going Macbook is on my list but there is plenty of tweaking I want to do on my desktop still. And I think I'll be switching to an iPhone 6 before I get a Macbook, so maybe next year I'll get a Broadwell MBA.

I just bought a Performa 637CD though. How's that for Apple fanboy?

8. Athryn1978

Athryn1978 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Lifelong windows user first time OSX mavericks user I must say the transition is not really that much different from windows.

Recently purchased a 15 inch retina MacBook Pro with the following specs:
    I7 2.8ghz quad core Haswell CPU
    GT 750M
    16GB Ram
    1 TB SSD

So far I m really enjoying the MacBook Pro.

9. MSGaldenzi

MSGaldenzi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Cliffs notes: Apple ->windows 8 for 2 or 3 years -> back to apple. Completed the trifecta (macbook/Ipad/Iphone).

I guess its time to finally out myself on here... I had abandoned apple shortly after windows 8 came out. The last mac I had was a retina 15 and I was an early adopter and felt very let down that much of the resolution was not being used and everything looked jagged. I loved that computer and eventually it got things right, but after windows 8 came out, I was running it via bootcamp so much that I ended up selling it for a Yoga. About 3 or 4 years later, I picked up an ipad air and sold it. I tried several samsung tablets and just didn't feel like they lived up to the air. I ended up getting another ipad air, eventually sold it, only to regret it again, but I stuck it out with my note 2014 model. As a thrifty upcycler, I always scour craigslist. I found a Too good to be true iphone 6 deal, turned out to be ok but yes, I had to deal with some headaches. The phone just worked and was the size I was used to coming from my galaxy S5. I had only picked it up to be a temporary replacement while my S5 was to be sold and the S6 was to be unveiled. I ended up liking it so much, I figured I would look for a cheap macbook. Cheap and macbook don't really go together well, but I did manage to find a well taken care of Macbook air 13 i5 for about as much as the price of the iphone... figured why not, I can always resell it and it already had yosemite. After living with the combo for about a week, I figured I should press my luck and see if I can find an ipad air 2 for cheap... yup... managed to get a 64gb air for only 100 more than I sold my last air 16gb for. I still use my windows desktop and that won't change anytime soon, but for my mobile devices, I made the switch pretty much all in the course of a month. All of my windows and android stuff was sold off and I was able to get everything used for a great price with only moderate upgrade/downgrade costs (I say downgrade bc I went from haswell to sandy bridge in the laptop front -I don't game on a laptop and battery life is acceptable for my use case).

I can now see the simplicity that makes apple so great. Sure there are things that I miss like my Galaxy Gear 2 watch and having a touch screen laptop, but the fact that the trackpad works so darn well makes up for that in spades. Come to think of it, having the ability to text from my computer is more handy than the Gear 2 was anyway...

Anyway, I will be hanging out in the apple/mac threads more now and figured why not post in the "hi" thread.

10. davewm24

davewm24 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have the following;

Macbook Pro Retina 15"
    Iphone 6 64GB
    Ipad Mini 2 Retina 64gb

Lusting after;
    Iphone 6 Plus & the newly rumored Apple Car