NBR Apple Core

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by Redline, Jul 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Huskerz85

Huskerz85 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    My "Apple-ness" has paid dividends here recently :)

3 wks ago, bought myself a 2nd Gen. Apple TV - a BIG step up from the original WD HD TV box I had, working on getting my video/DVD collection in line as we speak.

Then 2wks ago, my roomie's 5 yr old Gateway Desktop finally bit the dust (HD failure most likely). He's been an admirer of the MacBook Pro I bought about a yr ago and decided to make the switch - picked up a new MacMini, Wireless Keyboard and Magic Trackpad (along with the new iWork suite). After a few minor settling-in adjustments (had trouble with his monitor connection) he's got nothing but good things to say.

I've also been looking at possibly getting an iPad here (16GB Wi-Fi only) w/a portion of my tax return......want to go play around w/one in-store at least two more times though.

:cool:

2. gsnorby

gsnorby Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hello, Apple-folk!

I ask your indulgence, as I am a stranger to most things Apple. (I did have a Mac Quadra 950 back in the early 90s, to run some equipment in my service bureau.) I have a daughter who is likely going to head for fine arts school next fall (she's got an eye for photographic composition and color than puts her solidly into "gallery quality" work). She currently has a MacBook (sorry, I don't know exactly which model, but it's a couple years old, at least).

The problem is that she can't run full-blown Photoshop very well (slowwwww, and she can't so much as stream music while filters run, or she risks a crash). She is looking to use graduation money this summer to get a new computer, looking at the more powerful MacBook Pro to give her a boost for Photoshopping.

My question is this: Does anyone have a handle on when Apple will release a MacBook Pro built around the Intel Sandy Bridge CPUs? I know the PC-side of things, and Sandy Bridge does good things for photo processing. I've been seeing benchmarks that put a i7-2720QM about par with the i7-970XM for power, while retailing for about half the cost, or less.

I searched these forums, and didn't come up with anything other than some references to when to buy a MacBook. I'd like to help her choose when to buy her new system, but I need more information myself to be useful.

Thanks in advance!

3. doh123

doh123 Without ME its just AWESO

Reputations:
    no one knows... people speculate anything in the next few weeks to 6 months.

I'd guess if its not soon, then more likely late summer when Mac OS X 10.7 is released.

4. di1in

di1in Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm planning on buying a mbp 15 refurbished from the us and bringing it to india, but i'm a bit confused about apple care. If i buy apple care the same date i get my mbp and apply it will the 3 years be added to my present 1 year or just substitute it.
    Also would changing the hdd nullify or void apple care? because i'm planning on getting a refurbished system and swapping hdd with a ssd.
    thanks in advance!

5. TheUndertow

TheUndertow Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Bunch of iPods (Touch, Shuffle, Nano)
    64GB iPad 3G

Likely jumping on a 17" MBP 2011 pretty soon.

6. kornchild2002

kornchild2002 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I will soon be a member of the Mac OS X community. I have strictly used iPods ever since purchasing my 3G 40GB iPod in 2003. I currently have the 3G 40GB iPod, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 120GB iPod classic, 4G 64GB iPod touch, and a 1G 64GB iPad wi-fi. My 13" Core i7 MacBook Pro is on its way.

7. ajreynol

ajreynol Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    hey Apple Core! I just sold my 2010 MBP ($2000) and am replacing it with a 2011. simple question: can I put my HDD into the new MBP and expect it to work? I know I can't do that with Windows...but from my readings on the CarbonCopyCloner website, it appears only certain preferences won't move over.

Is that accurate? I'm not particularly excited about the prospect of having to reinstall the OS (with the hours of tweaks that has gone into it at this point), so if anyone knows from experience and can give me peace of mind either way, I'd appreciate it.

8. SP Forsythe

SP Forsythe Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Why not do a Time Machine backup of your old system, and then use Migration Assistant to copy the settings and apps to your new unit from the TM backup of the old unit?

Or if you will still have the old system when you get the new one, use Migration Assistant to transfer everything from the old machine to the new one. This is what I did when I moved from a MB (sold) to my current MBP.

9. ajreynol

ajreynol Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    oh sweet. I didn't know what my options were.

I did a Time Machine backup, but will be keeping the SSD drive (replacing it with the original for sale) and was hoping for the easiest transition possible. So when I get my new machine and put my current MBP's SSD inside it, do you think it will boot?

If not, do I use Migration Assistant like this:

1.) Use Migration Assistant to copy the files from the old mac to the new Mac's HDD, then

2.) Backup the new computer (using Time Machine or CarbonCopyCloner),

3.) Format the SSD from the old computer, then restore the backup of the new computer to the SSD?

Certainly seems like the later will work on paper, though a bit convoluted. How long did it take you to do the transfer? also, did you connect the Macs via ethernet cable or purely over wifi (which I imagine would take several hours)?

Thanks again for the insight. :)

10. SP Forsythe

SP Forsythe Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    As to your Plan "A"...I don't know if it will boot or not. I would think their might be issues if the old system has a different hardware configuration (CPU, GPU, sans Thunderbolt, etc). Maybe someone who has done this can answer. I speculate that this is the messiest way to do things, even if it seems the simplest.

I used an ethernet cable from the old MB to the new MBP. I don't remember exactly how long it took, but i seem to recall it didn't take too long. Maybe an hour or so. Mind you, I did this on the very first start of the new system. I don't know the procedure/complications on a new system that already has user accounts, if you have already done so.

Anyway, I was very impressed with how completely and seamlessly it transferred everything. Even the apps were unaware of the change-over (e.g. Adobe CS5 apps worked without any re-registration).

After i was sure everything worked, I wiped the old unit, reinstalled OS X, and sold it to my MIL.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.