N56vz review and owners lounge - Techno Art

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by nipsen, Jul 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iankill

Iankill Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks ! And yes it's the screen :(

2. pixeldust

pixeldust Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    On an Asus N56VZ I would like to do a fresh install of Windows 8 to eliminate the bloatware.

I know that the Product Key on this notebook resides in the BIOS on the motherboard. My specific question is, if I have a new retail copy of Windows 8, can I install the retail copy whenever I want and use the motherboard resident BIOS product key and ALSO install the retail copy on to another different PC using the retail copy supplied Product Keys?

In other words, can I use the new purchased retail copy of Windows 8 on TWO PC's at the same time? One being the N56VZ with BIOS supplied Product Keys and another PC using the retail copy supplied Product Keys! :confused:

Thanks!

3. GenTechPC

GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Yes you can. When you use your own copy of Windows 8 to install on Asus laptop it will read the digital product key from the system BIOS and activate Windows for you. And if you use the same copy of Windows 8 disk to install on another PC without digital product key then it will ask for product key from the retail copy.

Bottom line, if the PC comes with Windows 8 pre-installed with digital product key embed into the BIOS/ MB it will automatically input the product key for you from the factory. If the PC does not originally came with Windows 8 pre-installed then you will need to input the product key from the retail version.

4. marcva

marcva Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have been having one issue with my N56 that nobody seems to be able to solve. When surfing in Internet Explorer (I have tried versions 9.0 and 10.0), I can not complete forms on any of the Google properties (Gmail, youtube, Google search). For a gmail user, this is a fatal flow since I can not use IE to do mail. Yes, I could use Chrome, but Chrome has its own issues that are not computer related, and I would rather be able to use a single browser. I have checked my ASP settings in security, and they are OK. Has anyone else BTDT?

Thank you,

5. nipsen

nipsen Notebook Ditty

Reputations:
    It's probably got to do with any amount of IE idiosyncrasies on formatting and referencing DOM elements. Functions supported in some versions of IE, not supported in others, so enumeration scripts fail, no one can really tell what happens, or what changed between the versions. Only Microsoft knows.

Any webkit browser, Opera or Firefox are all generally so much better than IE, that I kind of fail to see why you can't change browser, though.. If it's not a work-computer, and your admin is a dork, and someone high up bought a script out of the back of a truck that only runs in IE8, or something like that, I mean.

6. marcva

marcva Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Though I actually use other browsers, there are times when *They* do not work, and I find that overall, IE is the most consisent performer. I have difficulty understanding why a $1000+ computer can't support a widely distributed browser when every other computer can run the software and pages fine. It fails to work across several versions of IE, so it doesn't feel like an idiosyncracy, but some sort of a structural issue. I will see if Microsoft has any ideas. Asus hasn't been any help at all.

7. mintys1

mintys1 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    HI....first post here...i have just received my n56 uk spec laptop, but unfortunately have a broken hand at the moment, so she still is unboxed.
    What i would like to know is when i receive my samsung 840 pro, will it just fit, or will i need to make/buy spacers?...i know that the original is 9.5mm and sammy is 7mm. Thanks in advance Grant.

8. mintys1

mintys1 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Also has anyone got a good link for the correct win8 iso,ready for clean install..thx.

9. pixeldust

pixeldust Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi Grant,

The Samsung 840 Pro SSD will fit in perfectly fine with no spacers needed as my new 840 Pro install went smoothly ! :thumbsup:

*** NOTE: Be careful to remember where each of the the (4) screws go back when removing the metal caddy that holds the HDD and /or the new SSD as THREE of the screws are the same length and ONE is shorter then the other three! :eek: ... Therefore be sure to be aware of which screws go where when replacing them back!

Also, after you remove the (4) screws holding the hard drive retention bracket there is a small plastic flexible pull tab tucked down below in the space on the side of the drive that you will use to pull the drive slightly up and then out sideways. Replacing the drive is just the reverse order.

*** NOTE: after you install the new Samsung SSD you will want to check to see if the FIRMWARE is the latest version!
    To do this you will first install the new SSD hardrive and then you will have to install your OS so that you can get web access to check and download if necessary the latest version firmware from Samsungs site. Right after your OS install you should be able to get web access as the OS supplied default drivers are enough to get things basically working.

*** SEE BELOW for Windows 8 Installation stuff!

Windows 8 Upgrade ISO - Download or Create

UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) - Install Windows 8 with[1]=General Tips

UEFI Bootable USB Flash Drive - Create in Windows

To check what firmware version you currently have and to be able to easily download an update if required from Samsungs site you will need to use the Magician Software that normally comes on the supplied software disk. I was not able to use the particular Magician software that was supplied with the drive ( maybe for Windows 7) so after loading Windows 8 I right away went to Samsungs support area for the 840 Pro and downloaded the latest Windows 8 version of Magician.

After installing Magician software, I clicked on the desktop icon for Magician and found that my current version was the older DXM03B0Q version so I then downloaded the newer latest DXM04B0Q version. You can now also see if your SATA configuration is set to the recommended for SSD ACHI mode which mine was but I had already checked in BIOS beforehand and my particular N56VZ was in the ACHI mode by default.

Very easy to physically remove the HDD and install the SSD... took maybe 5 minutes tops! The Magician software download and firmware update took another maybe 10 to 15 minutes. The whole HDD removal, SSD install, Magician software / firmware update thing is a 15 to 20 minute job and the fresh Windows 8 OS install from an OEM disk I have took maybe 15 minutes.

The thing that took the longest was for me to install the various Drivers & Utilities from the Asus supplied disk. I installed the Asus disk and then installed all the Drivers first and then I unticked the Install All box for the Utilities and cherry picked the things that I wanted to install. It takes a bit of time when installing things from the Asus utilities disk as you have to restart the computer a number of times between items.

*** NOTE: After you install the utilities that you want you can insert the Asus Utilities disk at anytime later and it will show you the items that you have not downloaded yet so you can start out with just a few key items and then come back and install whay you may want later!

*** NOTE: After I completed the SSD install, clean Windows 8 OS install, Drivers & Utilities install and SSD Magicain software and firmware update I was notified at one point that there were 29 various updates awaiting. I was not prompted again nor did I see any downloading activity regarding any updates but when I later accessed the Power icon in the Charms Bar (upper or lower right corner UI) I noticed that the "Update and Restart" button was available now so I clicked that and the various updates began to commence.

In closing, keep in mind that my particular SSD install was easier than some as I was removing a brand new HDD and installing the new SSD, freshly reinstalling the OS and Asus Drivers & Utilities (minus the Bloatware ;) ) from an OEM disk and Asus supplied Utility disk with no migration of any existing data. Of course, if you are replacing an HDD with resident personal data you would have to backup your data first and then restore all that after the SSD and OS install. I also installed Windows 8 from an OEM disk and since the Product Keys are embedded within the BIOS I did not have to use / waste the supplied product keys, hence I can still use the OEM Windows 8 disk for another computer / install.

After my upgrade to SSD, from initial power on to Lock Screen the boot time went from 11 seconds (HDD) to 6 seconds with the new SSD... impressive indeed! :D

Hope this helps!

...Glenn :)

10. adavis89

adavis89 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey, it's my first post here and I am hoping you guys can help me.

I am looking to purchase the N56VZ and I would just like to confirm if there are any differences between the N56VZ-DH71, N56VZ-RH71, and the N56VZ-QH71 models. They all appear to have the same specs, just want to know if one is better than the others, and know which one has the most up to date drivers, etc.

Thanks,

Andrew

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.