N56vz review and owners lounge - Techno Art

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by nipsen, Jul 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kouske

kouske Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    thanks for the reply!
    just one more question about the cosmetics...will i be able to take the faceplate off my dvdrom and put it on the caddy?

2. mariofz31z

mariofz31z Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi guys,

I've got an i5 VZ with working backlit keyboard, but the logo on the back of the screen doesn't light up. Well, a sort of diffuse lighting coming from there can be noticed in complete darkness, but that cannot be called a proper illumination, rather a sort of leakage coming out of the screen itself.

I emailed Asus Support one week ago and seems that they're still investigating. That's why I'd like to ask you guys if there's a specific driver / controller in charge of commanding the illuminated logo, as I haven't found anything like this till now. Or, maybe there's a sort of drivers conflict or something alike, rather than just a defective component. Have you experienced such thing and come up to a solution to this problem?

Thank you.

3. bjammin

bjammin Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yep the exterior of the faceplate is larger than standard but the clips are in the same spot. Looks fine.

4. Taichou

Taichou Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi,

could someone explain me pls where the air intake(s) of this notebook is/are (the vents on the left are only for exhaust??) I can`t find them, maybe I am too stupid :err:

5. nipsen

nipsen Notebook Ditty

Reputations:
    The gaps in the keyboard on the top, and there's a grill on the bottom of the chassis on the slope from the front.

Very clever, really.

6. Taichou

Taichou Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    hmm...yes it is...but meanwhile I read the manual and found this her on page 22:

"Air vents: The air vents allow cool air to enter and warm air to exit the Notebook PC"

And they mean only the vents on the left side..hmm..it is possible that the upper part of the grill is for air intake and down for exhaust..I feel the warm only coming from the down part

7. nipsen

nipsen Notebook Ditty

Reputations:
    No. (Thermo-)physically impossible. :p

..but I am very grateful that Asus' support and marketing department didn't design the hardware layout.

8. PJPeter

PJPeter Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I was so, so close to just picking up a N56VZ this week but now the guys in the UX51VZ thread are telling me about how GDDR5 is the only option and DDR3 sucks at higher resolutions etc... what's your thought on it? I thought I read something in the N56 threads about it, that the DDR3 overclocks better and even sometimes runs better or the same because of the bandwidth or design? hmmm

9. nipsen

nipsen Notebook Ditty

Reputations:
    Yep, gddr5 sucks.. :p

..no, I don't know what to tell you. The highest overclock result on a 650m at 3dmark11 is on a ddr3 card. No assumptions going on here, it's in the database. This is a good benchmark, because it is possible to disregard the cpu when comparing the gpu results. And here the ddr3 cards perform better.

In my opinion, the assumption about gddr5 ram being magically better than anything else stems from a preview at Anandtech, where they essentially declared that gddr5 ram would transform any graphics card into a device that would produce fairy dust and magic. That this "unique" 1Gb gddr5 ram 650m card that heralded the second coming of Jesus happened to be put in a Macbook Pro they were previewing -- obviously had /nothing/ whatsoever to do with the insane and irrational gushing over the gddr5 design capabilities.

Anyway. The point with gddr5 ram is that it's cheaper to produce, and has better production yields. The design also allows you to put the same module on a lot of different cards. Not just the same sodimm, but the entire module, the whole board with the chips - this is another aspect that makes it cheaper to produce. That you can produce the entire setup in bigger quantities and store it, because you will expect to be able to use it later on. Those have been the two major selling points that have motivated the use of that design.

The problem is that it demonstrably has higher power-consumption than ddr3 ram. It also has internally much higher frequencies to maintain the same speeds as ddr3 ram. Meaning that there will be less height for an overclock or for changes in frequencies and volt - both because of heat, as well as the error-correction being very sensitive on higher clock-speeds. The higher clock-speeds internally in the ram also don't actually give you any increased performance, since - like explained - the reason for the module is that it will work interchangeably with other setups. It's supposed to look the same as a ddr3 module from the point of view of the core chip.

In other words, until someone somehow figures out a way to leverage the broader addressing bus gddr5 ram has on the specification, there's no benefit and several disadvantages for picking the gddr5 card. And picking the 650m gddr5 over the 650m ddr3 makes no sense, specially because the actual performance is the same or worse. And this is not my opinion - whether you look at the benchmarks, the power-consumption data, or the design data -- picking gddr5 over ddr3 right now makes no sense.

A lot of people keep insisting that there is data to suggest games run faster in higher resolutions. But they can't provide it: there's no data to sustain that idea. Instead the little data I have seems to suggest the opposite, thanks to how you can very easily overclock a 650m/ddr3 without increasing the heat or affecting the performance.

But it means at the very least that the "gddr5 is superior" thing is a myth. There's no data to support it. And the whitepapers, benchmarks, etc., say the opposite. Which.. matters absolutely nothing to Anandtech and Engadget, obviously.

10. czdjax

czdjax Newbie

Reputations:
    After sleep, the keyboard light sometimes not work, I must logout and login in Windows to start it again, anyone else with this issue?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.