N56vz review and owners lounge - Techno Art

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by nipsen, Jul 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kouske

kouske Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    bump...so does anyone know? :X

"hi everyone, i want to replace my hard drive with an ssd and put the hard drive in a hdd caddy. so i have two questions:
    1. should i buy an intel 330 or a crucial m4?
    2. will this SATA to SATA 2nd HDD HD HARD DRIVE 12.7mm Universal Caddy CD/DVD-ROM Optical Bay | eBay work with our laptop? and will i be able to take the faceplate off my dvdrom and put it on the hdd caddy?"

2. gcop

gcop Newbie

Reputations:
    Right, my first post here.

I've recently bought the n56vm from Comet in the UK.

I'm probably 70% happy, but only niggle is the touch pad and the key board not being backlit. My previous 3 laptops were backlit, so it feels like a real step back!

My question is, what are the chances of being able to source the part and get it fitted inside my laptop? I understand the warranty will be void if I were to do this myself.

2nd question, do you know the part number? I want the UK english keyboard illuminated... I can only find one site that sells these keyboards at http://www.asusparts.eu/index.php?cPath=224828_232974_233713_233724
    but I can't be sure if any of these are the correct parts?

As for the touchpad/trackpad it's a bloody nightmare. Is this replaceable also with a normal trackpad with an actual left and right click button?

3. Lucas19

Lucas19 Newbie

Reputations:
    Both SSDs you're talking are supposedly good. I installed a crucial m4 512 a month ago and has been working fine, big difference with the HDD. It's a tight fit, although at the end gets inside the slot. The 256gb version might be slimmer. Don't know the answer regarding the HDD caddy.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

4. bjammin

bjammin Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That caddy should be fine ... I used something similar, the Silverstone TS06 which also gives you an external USB case to but the optical drive in.

But as far as I know any 12.7mm caddy should work, as long as it's just SATA to SATA.

5. Munkk1

Munkk1 Newbie

Reputations:
    First off, a big thank you to the guys who actively respond in this thread. There were many valuable bits of info not only in the first post but the discussion since then. I don't think a better laptop exists for my use (university, gaming alongside my consoles, web browsing) so I'll most likely get the N56VZ if I decide to buy something this fall. If I get one, is the checklist of possible problems to look for as follows?

-Obvious build quality
    -Dead pixels and other panel-related issues
    -Speakers for popping/glitches with constant signal

-Heating with web browsing
    -CPU and GPU should be below 60 °C
    -no noticeable heat in chassis

-Heating with Crysis, SC2 or something
    -CPU should be below 90 °C
    -GPU should be below 80 °C
    -top chassis may be warm but not hot though the bottom plastic gets pretty warm

-Random crashes with games (Is this even a hardware issue or just because of corrupted/misbehaving drivers?)

This would be my first laptop and my first "real" PC after using different Macs and BootCamp at home so I'm pretty scared :D 1000€ is a lot of money. I guess the niggles you guys have written about are pretty small compared to the usual overheating and breaking chassis. Have you noticed anything alarming after a few months of use? It would be nice to get a laptop that doesn't break down right after the warranty ends...

6. Kourosh

Kourosh Notebook Guru

Reputations:
  7. flowflow

flowflow Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  8. PJPeter

PJPeter Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Why don't you try plugging in an external USB keyboard and enter your password that first time - then you can log in and see if your keyboard works properly in Windows and figure out where to go from there.

VM doesn't have a backlit keyboard based on what I've read in the thread. Not having a G650 would be most of it though - I could have picked up the VM model at a local store (Staples) for $999 on sale last week - that price doesn't seem that great. The 650 model though is up to $1399 local - so not so great a deal...

Peter

9. flowflow

flowflow Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    based on the comments though it has a back lit keyboard

10. czdjax

czdjax Newbie

Reputations:
    I have N56VM and has backlit keyboard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.