N56vz review and owners lounge - Techno Art

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by nipsen, Jul 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LulzChicken

LulzChicken Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    All I did was get a can of compressed air and spray it into the side exhaust vent along with the vent on the bottom of the laptop. That's it. I wish I knew how to get into the real "guts" of this thing to actually properly dust out the heatsink and fan but I don't know how to get to it. I just removed the bottom screw that keeps the ram, hard drive, and wi-fi card protected and sprayed up in there with compressed air and into the side vent. That's all I can get to until someone figures out how to actually get access to the heatsink/fan itself.

2. Taichou

Taichou Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi Lulz,

what are you using for a cooling pad?

my temperatures are 55C while surfing 76C while gaming (skyrim, 1600:900, medium) for CPU, are these temperatures ok?

When you use the can of compressed air, shouldn`t you block the fan?

Thanks

3. zenhic

zenhic Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Anyone which softwares from the ASUS drivers disc I need, and which I can uninstall? I don't want bloatware.

4. tongue-tied

tongue-tied Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all,
    This is my first post and I'd like to thank all those who have contributed to a very informative
    thread. I have a very limited understanding of the technical performance discussion although
    enough to spark up the imagination on occasions.
    I expect to take delivery of a N56VZ-DS71 tomorrow and given the negative comments regarding
    the (5400 rpm) HD installed, I'm considering purchasing a Intel 180gig SSD (Intel SSDSC2CT180A3K5)
    which is available here in Thailand.
    My question is; will I require additional hardware i.e. tray and are there any known compatibility issues?
    with that model SSD?

5. Danjerous

Danjerous Newbie

Reputations:
    Here's what I got in class the other day:

photo.jpg

After a couple minutes it went back to the 3:30-4:30 it usually gets though :p

Attached Files:

6. nipsen

nipsen Notebook Ditty

Reputations:
    ^ hahah :D If only..

No.

:)

Personally haven't had very good experiences with Intel SSDs, though. Same problem as with the Sandisk, Crucial and OCZ drives -- they were careless with firmware updates, and didn't recall and update drives already in stock, basically saying that people should fix their drives "if they had issues"... you know.. "If" people happened to do something other than boot Windows and write Word-documents. They were, and still are also more costly for what you actually get. But they - specially Intel - get away with it, because the performance of any SSD is still a long way ahead of the best HDD. But you do have certain areas where suddenly the performance is mysteriously lower, as you hit the garbage collection routines and they actually do impact the performance of the drive, etc. And that can be a bit annoying.

So I'd recommend the Corsair GT/GS drives instead. Price is not that much higher. And they have people who actively test and maintain firmwares, and know how this stuff works, and where corners should not be cut. You can tell right away when you look at the drivers.. as well as their support forums, that they're not doing the "impersonal mass market vendor"/Apple/Asus approach. Where they can shave corners, and get away with it because "not a majority" of the people who buy it actually complain.

7. bjammin

bjammin Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have also had great success with Samsung 830 SSD.

I would never touch OCZ again though after having an OCZ drive corrupt a windows install twice before I realised what the problem was.

8. tongue-tied

tongue-tied Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks nipsen & bjammin for your input. I guess it's back to the drawing board, meanwhile I'll check prices in Thailand for the Corsair. My N56VZ arrived in one piece from the States
    and after a brief ck things seem to be ok. I'll have a play with it over the next few days with the std HD while procrastinating, cheers.

9. starfly

starfly Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi,

Does anyone here have experience ordering an Asus N56vz notebook through Xoticpc.com where you can get some customizations (such as installing a 95% gamut panel, which is what I'm considering)? Like how is the quality of their customizations?

10. pointpleasant

pointpleasant Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey,

I bought an asus n56 a few days ago and everything seems to be okay other than a problem I have with audio. When i´m listening to music or watching a movie etc the audio sometimes randomly turns into a distorted robotic noise/screech for a second or two. Sometimes it´s random and sometimes it happens when I run programs(all the tasks i´m doing are very light, i´m not feeding the computer anything heavy or overwhelming). I have reinstalled the realtek hd audio driver but that didn´t change the situation, I still get the sound sometimes. I haven´t customized the pc at all other than deinstalling the default bloatware and programs I don´t need. Does anyone have any idea what´s going on?

Thanks in advance!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.