N56vz review and owners lounge - Techno Art

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by nipsen, Jul 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sortitus

sortitus Newbie

Reputations:
    Just thought I'd post this in case anyone else was having the same problem as me. My main annoyance with this laptop was that the card reader had issues with SDXC cards, erroring out and corrupting a card after trying to write data to it for more than about 30 seconds. After some searching, I discovered that there's a component-specific support page for many things on the ASUS site, with the one for card readers being here (the Alcor drivers for Windows 7 work perfectly under Windows 8 and are a year more recent). I've tested writes of up to 20 minutes (transfer size 19.6GB), and everything seems to be working fine.

2. nipsen

nipsen Notebook Ditty

Reputations:
    ^yes, was something like this with the usb hub for a very long time as well. Not sure if the newer intel drivers for the "extensible host controller" are pushed with the windows updates. But installing newer drivers will fix the similar time-out issues with usb devices. What you want is the panther point version of the usb 3.0 extensible host controller.

You can get a newer driver than the one asus is pushing for the atheros wifi chipset as well here. It will fix a couple of issues with resends and negotiations that happen sometimes on aes networks when there is a bit more than average amount of radio noise.

3. kouske

kouske Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi, I am having weird issues with the battery of my laptop.

- It does not fully charge
    - After 10 minutes on battery it just turns off without any warning
    - If the power and the battery are connected, the battery LED starts turning on and off

Is this the battery that is faulty or the charger?

4. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    What happens if you leave the system off and the battery charging? Does it fully charge after a while?

5. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Battery is worn out, since it might had about 500 cycles of use, or became defective.
    If it's within 1-year of use, then you can claim warranty from ASUS.

6. wso277

wso277 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guys,
    I've already posted this in the 16gb thread but found this one after.
    Hoping someone could help me with this:

Hi, first of all sorry for digging up such an old thread, but i'm in need of some help.

I've bought this kingston memory: http://www.kingston.com/datasheets/kvr16s11_8.pdf

I intended to use it together with one of the original modules (hynix apparently with the same specs), but am unable to since the laptop keeps crashing while playing (12gb total ram)

Right now i'm using only this module and seems to be working fine.

Has anyone here used one of this with the original modules or can tell me if two of these would work together on n56?

Thanks

7. Sxooter

Sxooter Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    You can try swapping places with them, i.e. whatever order they were in the first time reverse it. What happens is that the hardware detects the first dimm and sets timing according to it, and the new dimm can't keep up etc. But sometimes some dimms just don't / won't play nice with each other.

8. wso277

wso277 Newbie

Reputations:
    hi,

That was the first thing i tried, unfortunately it didnt help much.

The first setup i installed i tried playing fifa and the game crashed as soon as the field showed up.
    After reversing the modules i was able to play fifa and have my computer with 6gb occupied without a glitch, but trying another game (rising storm) i can barely start a round without freezing or shutting down.

9. Sxooter

Sxooter Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Yep, just get a matched set of dimms then.

10. ashjas

ashjas Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I would suggest you to order a 16gb combo from crucial.com search there and you would find guaranteed working ram for your notebook. I have n56vj and 16g from crucial.com and never faced an issue. You may have to keep the preinstalled module idle..as these RAM modules can be tricky in compatibility.,and use the 16g combo from crucial that should be guaranteed to work. I am in the same boat as you. Hope this helps.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.