N56VZ - No Secure Boot Option?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by foobar1337, Sep 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guldurkhand

guldurkhand Newbie

Reputations:
  2. sonny_mv

sonny_mv Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    upgraded to windows 8.1 too and got same watermark message, so i was searching for the same option, "secure boot control" on my n56vz-s4066v.... there is no option in bios too. so i googled a lot and as far as i found, the n56vz with preinstalled windows 7 (all n56vz with v in the string like n56vz-s4066v) have no such option. only the preinstalled windows 8 n56vz (all models like n56vz-s4066h) have the secure boot control option in the "security" tab.

So, tested Bios 211, 215, 217, no option at all.. It's kidding me, I mailed asus support for that issue, in the manual, the option is for the windows 7 n56vz available too. Strange...

3. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Windows 7 shipping machines and windows 8 shipping machines tend to have a different bios structure.

4. sonny_mv

Reputations:
    contacted asus support and they confirmed, the uefi bios of windows 7 shipping machines is not updateable to have a secure boot option. only windows 8 models of n56vz do have the option.

Solution for the secure boot watermark in the windows 8.1 rtm version: It will be deleted by the "GA Rollup A" Update. So wait for it for tomorrow or it's leaked since a few days!:hi2:

5. sonny_mv

Reputations:
    No Update of the 3 has fixed the watermark. think ms must patch this error or every system manufacturer must update their uefi bios, where is no secure boot option (think thats impossible).

asus hides the secure boot option in uefi of n56vz, that comes with windows 7.. they know it since preview of win 8.1 and still not fixed the issue!
    found one solution of modding bios file here, didn't tested it by myself, a little risky:
    http://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-ASUS-N56VZ-XTU-unlock-requested?pid=51047#pid51047

original post here http://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-ASUS-N56VZ-XTU-unlock-requested?pid=50243#pid50243

6. asm19

asm19 Newbie

Reputations:
    How do I enable UEFI in this laptop?
    My pc brought the win 7 pre installed, wanted to upgrade to win 8/8.1 with UEFI, but my model doesn't have the options "Secure Boot" and "Launch CSM", only the "Launch PXE OpROM" at this point is disable. I have to change something (possibly the Launch PXE OpROM for on?) Or leave as is?
    What's the difference Launch PXE OpROM on/off?

7. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    It does not support it if you got windows 7 by the looks of it.

8. asm19

asm19 Newbie

Reputations:
    I know that the versions with pre installed win 8 have these options in the bios, but how do you have the same version of bios 217 and these have these options? Same board that pc's with win 7, how can this happen?
    These options are "hidden" in the versions with pre installed win 7?

9. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Yes, it is very strange.
    Not sure if others from the forum know about this. Perhaps you can check with ASUS and find out.

10. rubbles88

rubbles88 Newbie

Reputations:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.