MyDigitalSSD Bullet Proof 128GB mSATA Review

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by LoneWolf15, Aug 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tommyxv

tommyxv Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I picked up a Samsung 128GB 810 mSATA off eBay. Couldn't wait for the 830. :)

2. allinwonder

allinwonder Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have to chip in:

I bought a Bullet proof 64GB last year, and it died after 6 month.

I wouldn't recommend it for its reliability at all.

3. huntnyc

huntnyc Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    LoneWolf15,
    Thanks for the great review. I have ordered 2 128GB mSata drives for 2 x220 laptops that both have 500GB HDDs. Just need some help with how I should deal with recovery partitions on these drives after using Lenovo recovery disks to install on my SSDs. What do you usually do, leave the recovery partition on the SSD? I would like to delete this so it does not take up space. Can I leave the recovery partition on the HDD and just delete the Windows partition? Will be using spinning drive for my data. Just wanted to save the most space on SSD without any problems on the system. I appreciate your input on this and thanks.

Gary

4. LoneWolf15

LoneWolf15 The Chairman

Reputations:
    One person's experience does not equal any more than one experience. Every product has a defect rate. There isn't a single product (computer, car, refrigerator, etc.) where the defect rate is zero.

I've had the 128GB model since I started this thread, with no issues. In the same vein, one person's success doesn't make a product perfect either. Statistics are measured by what percentage of product works properly and what percentage doesn't over a fantastically significant sample, not a single good or a single bad experience.

Did you take advantage of the 2-year warranty to get the drive replaced?

In my case, I did a clean install of Windows. I have a Microsoft TechNet membership, so I have access to clean install media. I did not use the Lenovo recovery disks.

Unlike previous Microsoft operating systems, it is likely you can use your OEM Lenovo Windows key with regular Microsoft Windows 7 media of the appropriate version, if you can obtain a copy. It may require phone or Internet validation of the key, but my understanding is that this should work as long as you install the identical version of Windows (e.g., don't install Win7 Ultimate, and expect your OEM Windows 7 Pro key to work with it).

5. zarraza

zarraza Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Im owner of msata 64gb and got it in 2011 september (together with y470) its still working just fine (knocking on wood). Pretty happy with it. Good few weeks ago i did only a 3rd (1st one of course when i bought it, 2nd to upgrade to fw12) fresh windows install since i got it in september, and before fresh install, boot times still was pretty decent 39-47sec. Now its probably in low 30, not sure tho havent timed it yet. I know that with fresh windows its about 18-20secs, but once skype is installed and antivirus, boot times goes up. overall like i said, im happy with it.

edit: i havent been on this thread in a while, i have FW12, should i update to the newest one... fw17? Already downloaded it.. but i read some posts, saying fw12 is the best and the most stable... so not sure if i should update. Any opinions?

6. jbrian420

jbrian420 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Definitely update to latest firmware. I have tried all the recent ones and each one has improved my speeds.
    It usually takes me about 30mins using acronis image backup.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

7. MyDigitalSSD

MyDigitalSSD Company Representative

Reputations:
    Ladies, Gentlemen, Girls, and Boys BP3 mSATA 64-256GB and 512GB 2.5" are in Route to MyDigitalDiscount in a big way and there are some left to ship after filling preorders. We will be getting them out into the hands of our reviewers as soon as they land.

8. MyDigitalSSD

MyDigitalSSD Company Representative

Reputations:
    As far as bricked drives within the past 2 years I could count them on one hand so you won the lotto on that one. I have been selling SSD since 2007 and I have never seen anything that could touch our reliability. We are at a less than .02% defect rate right now and anyone in CE production will tell you that is amazing.

I am sorry for any inconvenience that it caused you.

MyDigitalSSD

9. sisqo_uk

sisqo_uk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    love one of the new drives but custom fee charges woud far price me out :( may have to wait for uk supplier

10. MPJohnston85

MPJohnston85 Newbie

Reputations:
    I just got the 128GB mSATA as a gift from a friend and I want to install the newest firmware.
    I will be installing it on a W520.
    What steps do I need to take to complete the above?
    I install the mSATA, load the recovery media on onto the mSATA. Log online and download the firmware files and click on what? there tons of different files in there.

thanks for all the help everyone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.