MyDigitalSSD Bullet Proof 128GB mSATA Review

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by LoneWolf15, Aug 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fleetu

fleetu Newbie

Reputations:
    This firmware update will wipe the SSD clean. You should backup or image the disk first.

2. sgogeta4

sgogeta4 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I tend to only upgrade firmware or hardware whenever I plan on doing a clean wipe of my system and reinstall. As stated, when you update the firmware of the SSD, it will wipe your drive, so you will have to back things up before doing so then reinstall everything. The firmware will speed things up on benchmarks but for day to day tasks, will not see a noticeable benefit.

3. solo21

solo21 Newbie

Reputations:
    Was wondering if anyone had a chance to test this (FW17) out on the 64GB model? Is it any faster on random writes? 128GB is definitely nicer but don't think I need that much space having a 2nd HDD in there already... :)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2015
  4. Gandalf_The_Grey

Gandalf_The_Grey Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  5. MyDigitalSSD

MyDigitalSSD Company Representative

Reputations:
    If you could get by with a 32GB then I would 100% suggest going with the 32GB Super Cache mSATA Drive. I will let you in on a little secret all 32GB MyDigitalSSD mSATA shipping right now are the super cache model so don't pay the extra $10.

The 32GB Super Cache drive is just as fast and stable as the 128GB. Even when full.

MyDigitalSSD

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2015
  6. TwinTurbo

TwinTurbo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I went with a MyDigitalSSD 128GB mSATA SSD over the Samsung PM800 128GB SSD for my P150EM build. Since I'm exceedingly ignorant regarding most things SSD, can anyone advise if this was a good choice and why?

7. LoneWolf15

LoneWolf15 The Chairman

Reputations:
    It's possible the Samsung may be a faster choice (though I haven't reviewed one); however, every choice is faster than a mechanical hard drive, and I'm sure the MyDigitalSSD drive is less expensive. Also, going with an mSATA SSD means you can add a mechanical hard drive for secondary storage in many laptops, as you can have both. Best of both worlds.

I am still using the 128GB MyDigitalSSD drive used in the page 1 review in my ThinkPad T420 daily-driver laptop, and have had no issues. I did erase the drive and install the new firmware several months back, which was uneventful. The drive has been completely reliable for me, and I have found no reason to go back to the 80GB Intel 310 mSATA SSD I used previously.

8. thefuzzypenguin

thefuzzypenguin Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just wanted to say thanks for the review! I still haven't decided which laptop I'm going to buy, but the two I'm looking at both support mSATA and your review along with a lot of others pushed me to go ahead and order one of these. I figured since they were back-ordered I should grab one now so I could (hopefully) have it by the time I decide on which laptop I'm getting :)

9. tommyxv

tommyxv Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Doesn't the Samsung FW update/drive tools software let you updated the drive without having to wipe and re-install? That's why I would choose a Samsung drive.

10. LoneWolf15

LoneWolf15 The Chairman

Reputations:
    While Samsung does have an mSATA version of the PM830 in the works, it is not currently available to the public, only to system builders. It is not clear when (or if) it will come to the retail channel.

For me, the form factor comes first, as I can choose an mSATA SSD for a fast boot drive and have a 3.5" drive for storage. I think the PM830 in 2.5" factor is a good drive, but I like having the best of both worlds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.