My wife is going to kill me!

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Maxware79, Mar 17, 2020.

1. MrMogwai

MrMogwai Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    What cards? While I was struggling with M17xR2, one of the issues were with vBIOS, that is in some instances the cards were recognized, but without VRAM and/or clocks. After going in with a certain vBIOS and blocking the damned Windows update of the drivers driver's it works splendid.

Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  2. Maxware79

Maxware79 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    My cards? They are technically M290x's but are listed in Device Manager and the Radeon software as 8970M's.

3. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Most AMD GPU functionality problems are due to poor driver support. They haven't been good at drivers since they bought out ATI.

Papusan likes this.
  4. Maxware79

Maxware79 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have almost zero experience with AMD. I have pretty much avoided them for the past 10 years.

Apparently the Crossfire function should be under Advanced in the Global Settings but it's missing. I can only assume this is because the software doesn't think the cards can be linked.

5. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I used to be an ATI die-hard. I have had nothing but issue after issue with AMD GPUs after 5870M. NVIDIA is nowhere near perfect, but their products have been largely problem-free for me and overclock nicely. I have not touched an AMD GPU since 7970M (like about 2012). But, part of the reason for that is they haven't made anything that interests me since 2012. So, I have zero recent experience to draw from and I have forgotten 99% of what I used to know. What little I might be able to remember is likely no longer relevant.

MrMogwai, Papusan and Maxware79 like this.
  6. Maxware79

Maxware79 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That's understandable. I'd like to sort out the issue before selling it off so I'll keep digging around. I'll probably find myself a new cable and go from there. Thanks.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
    Mr. Fox likes this.
  8. MrMogwai

MrMogwai Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I've ran both catalyst and Adrenaline, and worked fine with CLEVO 1.1, on 7970M. Try different vBIOS, apparently not all of them support that.

EDIT: as far as I know they are interchangeably named 290X/8970M.
    Seriously, try to put left card vBIOS into the right card, and if that doesn't do anything, put the right one into the left one. Maybe one of them works. Otherwise there is a whole repository on TechPowerUp of vBIOSes, but do a quick dry run on how to blind flash, because you are almost guaranteed to have at least one dark boot.

EDIT2: there appears to be more than one VRAM versions of this card, maybe they are not the same?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
    Mr. Fox likes this.
  9. Mastermind5200

Mastermind5200 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    M290X and 8970M are both 4GB, 7970M is 2GB only afaik

10. Maxware79

Maxware79 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    There are a few vBIOS versions available but it looks like all the Dell ones are Unverified. Is it ok to have both cards in the machine when I flash or should I put each one in the primary slot one at a time?

M290X vBIOS.png