My wife is going to kill me!

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Maxware79, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Maxware79

Maxware79 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Great work! It’s the best laptop ever created. I was pretty happy when I had dual 780M’s in mine. They were great cards. I’m even happier now with the 1070. I’m on the constant hunt for cheap R2’s. I really want to find a faulty one that someone is happy to sell for next to nothing. Mainly to scavenge the HDD connector.
    I’m glad I got this 17 running but it’s definitely going to be scrapped for parts. The second 17 I got today is in mint condition but had a dead battery. The 17 I got working has a 100% health battery so that’s now in the mint one and it’s time to sell her. Now I have a working motherboard, 880M, 4910MQ, 32gb memory, 256gb mSata and 500gb HDD to use on something else. The bottom cover, palmrest and keyboard were trashed. A new battery was going to cost me $77 so I basically got all the other parts for $150AUD ($100USD).
    Didn’t get a chance to test out the 18 yet. Hopefully more good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. MrMogwai

MrMogwai Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If you wish I can do a listing of the previous M18X, the one I couldn't save (apparently dead mobo, white screen on all screens and cables, and or flickering, with or without dedicated GPU), or at least the connector. Once it arrives I am going to scrap the old one for parts, scavenge what I can for the new one (the CPU was decent), and after that I can sell you at least the connector :)

3. Maxware79

Maxware79 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Ok let me know.
    The only issue is that the Aussie dollar has fallen off a cliff since the virus hit even though we’ve barely been affected at all (compared to many countries). Anything in USD ends up costing me a fortune. Happy to take a look though.
    I may just have to go door to door one weekend asking people if they have an M18x laying around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. MrMogwai

Reputations:
    It's Poland, so even different exchange ;)

5. Maxware79

Maxware79 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Ok, how many zloties are you going to charge me? ;)

6. MrMogwai

Reputations:
    :D will have to take a look for how much it goes around for ;) or, maybe, we could do an exchange. I'm looking for the HDD caddy for the Ranger for the secondary HDD (the one that is placed sideways). You seem to be stockpiling Ranger parts due to coronavirus outbreak (an odd choice, bit I can respect it :D ), and I'm looking for that one in particular. Just the caddy, I've got plenty of the angled SATA adapters. Sounds like a deal?

7. Maxware79

Maxware79 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yeah I do have a few caddies now. Funny thing is that when I got my first 17 last year I had to order a caddy from Europe and now I have extras because of a few machines I've used for parts. I sold one a month or so ago on ebay. It was for the primary drive.

8. MrMogwai

Reputations:
    As soon as the new m18x arrives and I have some time to investigate what can be added I'll let you know. Think there is a deal in here somewhere? ;)

9. Maxware79

Maxware79 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Sounds great to me man!

10. Maxware79

Maxware79 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I've almost finished the White M18x so I'll try posting it for sale here as well as eBay (just in Australia). I'll probably put it out for $650-700USD.