My Turn.. Gaming Laptop Inquiry, please help =)

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Toshi001, Oct 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toshi001

Toshi001 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've researched and looked around this forum & internet.
    At the end of the day, I still need input from the Pros ><

Survey

1) What is your budget?
    USD 1400 - 1700

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    Prefer 15", but don't mind 17" (currently using a 17" Toshiba Qosmio)

3) Where will you buying this notebook?
    United States

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    Like / Dislike: None in particular (All brands are OK)
    But was considering: Eurocom Tornado F5

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    Is refurbished items pretty much the same as new? Any risk?
    If refurbished laptops are good, I dont mind.

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Gaming, browsing internet & watching stuff.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    - If 15", Sometime
    - If 17", Not much

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
    All type of games (Mostly single players)

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    Not important (minimal battery OK)

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    Nope

11) What OS do you prefer?
    Windows

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. (Scroll down to see screen resolution information.)
    At least 1920 x 1080 res.

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (Scroll down to see explanations.)
    Matte if available, but not too fussy about this

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    Not really (If possible not too "Gaming Laptop" obvious), but even if it is, its ok too.

15) When are you buying this laptop?
    Mid Nov - Mid Dec (Any special promo price?)

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?
    Forever (Joke, nothing last forever; but as long as possible)

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?
    The common 1TB HDD & 250 SSD is nice to have, but not too important.

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?
    No

Background Info:
    - Buying in the US to bring back to Indonesia (USD expensive & still increasing currently)

- Current Laptop: Toshiba Qosmio X775 - Since 23 Sep 2011. Not bad, huh? =)
    Bought in the US too > (https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834214392)

- Laptop is alive but cant game anymore. But still good for daily usage (browsing, watch stuff).
    (http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/toshiba-qosmio-x775-3dv78.797431/)

- Looking to buy a good gaming laptop (GTX 1060 / 1070), but since I don't know that much in detail about specs.
    I'm looking for a laptop that is the most optimal:
    + Not over/under spec
    + Long lasting (Beat my current ongoing 6 years laptop?)
    + Not too expensive (within budget)
    + Easy maintenance (international support, easy access to clean dust, fan control, etc)
    + Good cooling system & again, fan control
    + Upgradeable?? Is this really true? Don't they change the shape every now & then (Processor & GPU)?
    If so, it isn't really upgradable, just replaceable with the same one??

I really appreciate all info & suggestion.
    Thank you very much for helping me :)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  2. sicily428

sicily428 Donuts!! :)

Reputations:
    that msi 16L13 is a good choice
    new clevo p750tm with 6-cores intel coffee lake cpus is coming

3. Toshi001

Reputations:
    Do you know when its coming out & the price?
    Is that a newer version of this: http://www.hidevolution.com/evoc-clevo-p751tm-g-custom-built-gaming-laptop.html

I'm only staying until the end of December. With shipping & all, I might not be able to wait.

Thanks for your reply btw.. First reply is best =)

4. sicily428

Reputations:
    you are welcome! I was talking about that p750/p751 you linked :)
    release date should be for the end of november

5. Toshi001

Reputations:
    Hi Sicily, any other laptop you would recommend?
    Clevo p750tm is new, no review yet and they come with GTX 1060. Upgrading to 1070 can easily go over USD 2000.

This Eurocom seems good but I read bad things about Eurocom in this forum. Any input?
    http://www.eurocom.com/ec/pricelist(2,384)TornadoF5

Thanks.

6. Toshi001

Reputations:
    This Sager seems to fit my requirement best:
    - Sager NP8157 https://www.sagernotebook.com/Notebook-NP8157.html
    - or NP8952 (but this one has MaxQ > not as powerful right?)

The NP8157 currently has USD200 disc too.. Seems like the best deal?
    There is also this: http://www.xoticpc.com/msi-ge62mvr-apache-pro-003.html
    but slightly more expensive..

Getting excited to get the new lappy ><

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  7. sicily428

Reputations:
    Check alekza. It is the shop of @woodzstack and there you can find the msi 16L1.
    or you could consider a msi gt62vr 7re

8. Toshi001

Reputations:
    Calling the Pros: @Donald@HIDevolution , @Mr. Fox , @Phoenix

Sorry for dragging all of you Top Ranking Members.
    I have been swimming around forums (especially this one) & internet for a while.
    I needed input about my 2nd gaming laptop (A better, actual gaming purposed laptop).

Seems that the three of you know each other and agreed that Hidevolution is a great seller.
    I have emailed HiDevolution earlier, I even linked this post in my email. I also contacted some other sellers such as Eurocom, Microcenter (suggested in Linus Forum) and several others.

I was considering Eurocom Tornado F5 (which I found through this forum, its call Evoc in Hidevolution).
    I read some past bad thing about Eurocom, but would you still recommend their laptop?
    Other than that, I'm also considering MSI or Sager brands.

I want something that's within budget, will perform well & last a long time.
    Will need help with those delidded, better paste, unlock bios, overclock and those "special / uncommon" things to make the laptop better too.
    Though I'm not 100% sure of which are actually necessary / overkill.

My current laptop: 17" Toshiba Qosmio gtx 560M still lives until today, since Sep 2011 (though battery died & it cant game anymore).
    Really want a new one, its time for an upgrade too.

Look forward to hear any input from the Pros.
    Thank you for your kind help.

9. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I suggest you email donald@hidevolution.com to get your NBR Forum discount as well.

For international customers like me and you, HIDevolution is the best option because they have a Global Warranty which covers shipping costs so if anything goes wrong with your laptop, they will pay for shipping back and forth so you won't have to bear the extra costs of shipping.

Secondly, they have in house CPU delidding which is a must for these desktop class CPUs as they get really hot, if you delid yourself the CPU warranty is gone but since it's doe by HIDevolution, your CPU warranty remains in tact. not a lot of resellers do this CPU delidding as they aren't willing to take the risk.

Thirdly, HIDevolution's quality control is awsome, they do a perfect thermal paste job and a lot of stress testing so you are sure to receive a laptop that works great out of the box.

If you want a 17 inch laptop, then get the P870KM1 or the newer P870TM1 if your budget allows, because the EVOC 16L-G is a 15 inch laptop don't know if you're ok with that size

If you get a Clevo laptop, then the Prema BIOS is a must or don't even bother. HIDevolution is a Prema Partner so you will get the Prema BIOS for free with your laptop:

Benefits of Prema BIOS:

• Restores user ability to overclock or underclock the CPU
    • Restores user control over CPU power settings (voltage, watts, amps) for optimal performance and/or thermal efficiency
    • Restores ability to control non-turbo CPU core ratio
    • Restores ability to control CPU c-states and p-states
    • Restores ability to control BCLK (northbridge) and FCLK (System Agent) frequency
    • Restores ability to enable Intel Speed Shift Technology functionality
    • Restores ability to disable Intel Software Guard Extensions (SGX) functionality which is intended for software developers who want to use that feature and causes erratic system behavior
    • Restores ability to control RSR, Watchdog Timer, ASPM, ACPI sleep and hibernation functionality
    • Restores ability to control RAM timings, clock speeds and enables the utilization of XMP profiles
    • Restores ability to control selection of Legacy, UEFI and CSM to install whatever operating system is desired
    • Restores ability to control CPU-based DEP, AES (encryption) and Virtualization
    • Restores ability to control GPU scaling, PCIe speed and power management features
    • Restores control over Thunderbolt and USB 3.1 configuration
    • Restores control over SATA port configuration and Intel LPM. Having the ability to disable drive ports allows exclusive control over what drive receives the BCD/boot sector, system and recovery partitions during Windows Setup and eliminates the need to physically remove non-OS drives when installing a new OS.

Also, since you will be joining the HIDevolution Gaming Team, I can personally help you tweak your laptop over TeamViewer, these are my tweaks:

1- Uninstallation of all the Windows Store Garbage Apps
    2- Removing all Windows 10 Privacy Invasion stuff like Telemetry, sending your keystrokes to Microsoft, automatically installing suggested apps in the background, allowing Microsoft to conduct experiments on your laptop, disabling automatic driver updates through Windows updates, disabling Windows 10 ads, disabling cortana, etc.
    3- Removal of nVIDIA and Intel Telemetry
    4- Adjusting a lot of options in PC Settings like disabling Windows Tablet Mode (you have a laptop not a tablet), disabling suggestions appearing in the start menu, disabling automatically connecting to Paid WiFi Hotspots, disabling Game DVR which reduced performance in games, and a lot more.
    5- Replacing Cortana with a much better search tool that finds results instantly
    6- Restoring the classic Windows 7 Calculator and Windows Photo Viewer
    7- Restoring the Classic Windows 7 Start Menu
    8- Turning off smart multi-homed DNS name resolution in Windows which may lead to DNS Leakage when using a VPN (must have Windows 10 Pro for disabling it as it can only be disabled via the Group Policy Editor)

[​IMG]

Toshi001 and Mr. Fox like this.
  10. Toshi001

Reputations:
    Hi Phoenix, Thank you for your reply.

I've emailed Hidevolution earlier and actually Donald himself is the one that replied to me (whether coincidence or because he saw this) =)
    I'll be talking to him in more details through email / here when he replied.

About the laptop you suggested, I actually am thinking to get 15" laptop now, since the Old 17" Toshiba Qosmio is troublesome to bring around (7.5 lbs / 3.4 kg) - rarely bring around.
    I still like & don't mind 17", although I'm not sure how heavy they are these days..

Is there any 15" that you recommend? What I am considering atm are:
    - Eurocom Tornado F5 (heard its called Evoc in Hidevolution??)
    - Evoc P650HS-G
    - MSI GE63VR
    - MSI GE62MVR Apache Pro-003
    - Sager NP8157 (Clevo P650HS-G)
    - Asus ROG GL502VS-WS71

If 17", I'm quite ok with:
    - MSI GE73VR
    - Evoc PA71HS-G

I'm just looking to get GTX 1070. No need for 1080.
    Many people said i7 is overkill too and i5 is fine. If that is true, I don't mind i5 too.
    There's also the 120hz screen if I want better screen, 8 vs 16 gb ram, etc.
    And your recommendations are all above USD 2000s. I budget myself max USD 1700.

In general I want GTX 1070, good cooling, max 1700 usd and the rest, I think you know more about what I would need (Prema, Delidding, and so on).
    I just want to be able to play game well, doesnt have to be Ultra or Max setting.
    Unfortunately, after not PC gaming for a few years, I'm used to crappier graphic games now =(
    Old Qosmio cant game anymore and my entertainment source are from Phone & Switch games.

Any other laptops in mind? I don't mind 17" too.

Thanks Phoenix.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.