My test of Win8 CP

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Pirx, Mar 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Metro is fine as a consumer interface. Just like other devices consumers use now. The biggest issue, especially with the audience in this forum, is PC/Laptops are production machines. Metro, just like a PS3 interface, is fine for just some casual games and the like.

M$ needs to realize this and gear the OS accordingly for either the old desktop or a reimagined Metro interface for production. Albeit the upgrade alone caused issues here but with rocketdock I did not miss the start button missing other than to reboot etc. Personally I liked coming out of desktop/work mode over to a consumer level interface for entertainment purposes.

In time there may be Metro Apps that are worth more than just casual use. Until then the desktop on a pc should be the standard, as mentioned, with metro as a fast switch option. Personally I would love to see the start button replaced an my personal favorite is a DOC. I am open to other ideas but metro for now seems counter intuative, or a step backwards, from the old start button.

Again I'll state Metro is pretty cool. Just like current Windows apps, not everyone wants, needs or will like them all. As the market builds things will get better though. It would be nice if M$ comes up with a good DOC program, or other start button replacement, to run from the desktop.........................

2. jotm

jotm Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yeah, but why didn't they make it optional on laptops/desktops is beyond me. They could've easily made it like Media Center - start it for simple use or entertainment only...

3. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    And if you load up Metro with Windows Explorer shortcuts and desktop applications, instead of mobile apps, that's exactly what Windows 8 already is. Microsoft doesn't have to change a thing about Windows 8 in order for you to use Windows 8 exactly how you describe. That's what I'm doing in Win 8. I use Metro as a highly-customized, graphical, full-screen start menu, with my work taking place on the desktop, and it works fantastic.

4. TANWare

Reputations:
    With a doc I can open apps right from using say IE or excel. Again though I am at 1920x1200 and do not usually run any app full screen. I do not want nor need a full screen start button...........

5. frozenlandscapes

frozenlandscapes Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I don't mind the UI. When I used W7 for short period of time, I never used the start button, I just pinned what I needed on the taskbar. And when I got stuck with vista when that computer crashed (or blew up more appropriately....) I just used the desktop. The Start Button wasn't used much for me...

So when I use the start screen now, I don't really mind. W8 is really fast for me, and the only problem I hate is that a few security programs need a W7 or below kernel, but that's not much of an issue...

Design-wise the only thing I could suggest would be making the start screen part of the desktop. Would like having a taskbar and a start screen on the same screen.

But they should make it optional just to not annoy the crap out of the people who don't like it. Doesn't look like it would be that hard :X

6. TANWare

Reputations:
    I tried a full install but the early deal breaker is the HP software would not install. When you do just an upgrade from Win7 the tasks at single thread are 25% per core. The interleave enhancement is not there. It still is a bit faster but not by as much. So yet again back to win7 for me...........

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.