My test of Win8 CP

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Pirx, Mar 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DetlevCM

DetlevCM Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    How true Pirx, I can only wholeheartedly agree with you. I had the Developer Preview on one of the old laptops at home...

Usability = zero.
    In fact, if I were to be forced to use a Windows 8 device with metro (or something similar) I would possibly be forced to use the illegal route of making an old Windows disk at home work or would have to go down the Linux route...

Metro on a non-touch device can only be described as unusable.

On a side note, does this still work? That worked on the developer preview:
    MiKTeX on Windows 8

2. DR650SE

DR650SE The Whiskey Barracuda

Reputations:
    Ahh. Didn't realize there was one right opinion on windows 8. Guess if its a fail for one its a fail for all. :( Failure to adapt perhaps? Guess ill wait till I am forced to upgrade to windows 63.

Wasn't it designed primarily with touch screens in mind anyways? :rolleyes: I don't see why everyone has their panties in a wad. If you dont like it don't use it. Don't see why its necessary to bash people who are able to adapt to it. Not like their opinion is more or less valuable then anyone else's. Certainly not wrong.

Im not sure Im getting the big deal here. Guess I have to play with it later.

3. DetlevCM

Reputations:
    I suppose Windows 8 might be for the mentally challenged...

There is change that takes getting used to, and there is change that is idiotic:
    - A structured (alphabetical) list vs a mess of tiles.
    What do you prefer to select a program? The former is also easier to explain to novices.
    - Clicking and dragging through a list with a mouse when in the past one could use a scrollwheel? Might work on a touchscreen, but NOT on a computer without.
    - Menus: I wonder if they changed it since, but in the developer preview the search was a mess... in Vista (or Win7) you search and get the options. Search for "update" and then select which category it belongs in... yay... now how is that determined? (For MS applications easy, else?)

On this note, I can only agree with Pirx on Win8 - on "conventional" computers, at least with Metro, a usability train wreck.

4. SL2

SL2 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Agreed, But I can come up with one reason. We have to wait for RTM before we know for sure.

I think MS is trying to push the Metro UI into the market as much as possible with the W8CP, and if this causes to much negative feedback, they'll add a Metro/Start menu switch.

After all, it's better that MS is forcing us to use Metro now, so that we honestly can tell what we think of it before MS decides on how RTM will work,
    than giving us the option of the start menu switch in the CP as well, AND THEN forcing us to use Metro in RTM.

Think about it, why was the switch there at all in DP otherwise?

5. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    For two or three programs, that works really well. For one to two dozen programs, it doesn't work as well. You can still do that with the two or three most important programs.

@Pirx--instead of a point-by-point response, how about we just say that I'm really excited about using Windows 8 for productivity purposes as well as family use--I've already experimented with using it for my work (no touchscreen, purely productivity oriented) and for me, it works great. But you're going to continue to use Windows 7. So we can agree to disagree as to which is "better"? It is a somewhat subjective question, after all.

6. Pirx

Pirx Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Nope, RPEnabled is gone. No Start Menu, at all. We're out of luck here.
    There is some speculation that Microsoft will offer their Professional versions of Windows 8 with the option of a Start Menu, but it's pure speculation at this point. But, hey, after all, this is a Consumer Preview, so maybe there is some hope.

7. DetlevCM

Reputations:
    Too bad.
    I really don't want to be forced off Windows - or off the legal path...

I don't know when I will buy a new computer, but whenever I do, it will be in the Windows 8 era...

I do have a Wind 7 Professional disk from MSDN-AA lying around at home... but that would not be legal to install any more.

8. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    It's really funny because a lot of the problems you described are so easily avoidable.

One example is the "moust gymnastics" for logging in. You realize that hitting any key makes the picture disappear right? You mention this so I don't see the issue, really. Like... *gasp* you have to hit a key.

Anyways, this is a fairly typical response to a drastic UI change. You haven't learned the shortcuts, you haven't learned how to make use of the UI.

9. Pirx

Pirx Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Oh sure, absolutely. I have no doubts that Metro works well for you, if you say so. Let me emphasize that there is nothing wrong with finding Metro productive, or even superior to the Win7 way of things. All I am saying is that it does not work well at all for certain usage patterns, and that (a) those particular usage patterns are perfectly valid, and (b) not that uncommon for professional use.

For that reason, I strongly feel that Microsoft needs to allow those of us who want to do so to opt out of Metro, and give them the Start Menu back.

I would still say that from a purely quality point-of-view, the design of a number of the graphical elements in Metro is unbelievably poor, but that's a different discussion.

10. Pirx

Pirx Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    You realize that I specifically mentioned that in my post, right? Try to read and understand what it is I had said.

No, it's not. As you would know if you had read and understood my post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.