My review of Dell Inspiron 8600

Discussion in 'Dell' started by srdhkl, Apr 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. philcosson

philcosson Newbie

Reputations:
    <blockquote id='quote'>quote:<hr height='1' noshade id='quote'>Originally posted by viendo

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2015
  2. srdhkl

srdhkl Notebook Evangelist NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Frankly, having done a radiology rotation in medical school, I would never use an LCD screen to look at images. In fact, most of my attendings were against using LCD screens! One radiologist said, "Leave the LCD screen for the internists to use!:

However, many people love the UXGA screen. I personally don't like it because of the small fonts, but the brightness level was excellent from the one I used on my previous Inspiron 5150.

Also with the 8600, while it doesn't have a specific "line out", you can use a special Y-splitter that allows you to connect to outside speakers.

3. srdhkl

Reputations:
    Easy there Phil, my uncle has been a radiologist for 34 years...that's where I get my info from. The medical school he teaches at, does not use LCD screen with their PACS system, simply because they thought the CRT's gave them better results. Thus I was relaying my experiences as well as other experts to others.

What we do in this forum is share our ideas and experiences with laptops. Someone may like Sony screens, some may do not. That is why we share our ideas on this forum.

I use a line out on my Dell and it sounds great, so I want to share that experience with others. Some like it, some don't.

You should not tell someone how they should comment on something. And I was commenting based on my experieneces and others, just like you have. Thanks for sharing your opinion on the matter. This is an open forum, and should remain that way.

4. philcosson

philcosson Newbie

Reputations:

5. zylamorph

zylamorph Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey There Nesbo - I like your reviews and comments.

That being said, Any comments on my previous post ?

>I am also looking to purchase either the 5150 or the 8600.
    >Has anyone tried running AutoCAD 2000, Adobe Premiere 6.0, >Photoshop, or Dreamweaver MX with the 8600 compared to the 5150 ?

thanks [8D]

6. Brian

Brian Working at 486 Speed NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    I think a higher end PM with 1GB RAM will handle those apps just fine, but the P4 would do a better job. It really just depends how large/intense the files are.

Editor in Chief http://www.bargainPDA.com and http://www.SPOTstop.com

7. srdhkl

Reputations:
    You might want to see what Dell offers once the new Dothan PM chips come out...a new BIOS came out for the 8600 that supports the newer chips, so perhaps Dell will offer higher speeds on the 8600 in the near future. If that's the case, then I believe the higher speeds with high amount of RAM will adequately run the programs you requested...

8. zylamorph

zylamorph Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the info -

Being as though I'm cash poor right now,
    and really needing to go mobile in the next 30 days,
    I might have to bite the bullet and find the best bang for the buck.

I'm thinking the 5100 with a P4 chip, & 1GB of ram from someone other than Dell, (their prices for ram are insane) and I'm good to go.

Good & bad things about the 5100 tho... yes it is heavier and..
    yes will run hotter as well, with a bit shorter battery life -
    but will ultimately be less expensive right now with Dells anniversay sale.. hmmm..

so.. folks.. which screen will suffice for CAD, Premiere * Deamweaver with decent res. and no flittering ? Nesbo, can you recommend specs for me, for a build to order 5100 ? Or should I just bag the 5100 ?
    and get someting else ? I've been reading laptop review for two month already.. still have no idea...[^]

Thanks - zlamporh

9. srdhkl

Reputations:
    Well, Dell doesn't sell new 5100's anymore, you can only get a refurbished one. I'm assuming you meant the 5150.

It's not a bad computer as far as performance goes, so if you don't mind the weight, it should suit your needs.

I would recommend the 3.06 ghz with HT. Personally, I think it's a waste of money to get the 3.2 ghz. DEFINTELY by the RAM on your own...1 GB should be plenty for your applications. Also, get the 64 MB video card.

I would also suggest the SXGA screen...it's really nice sharp screen.

I'm not sure if they are offering the 7200 RPM 60 GB Harddrive (the only size that offers the speed) But that is a huge plus, however, that is something you could always upgrade later.

So, to summarize:
    3.06 GHZ with HT
    at least 512 GB RAM (1 GB if you can afford it)
    64 MB video card
    SXGA screen.

You should be all set with that.

10. zylamorph

zylamorph Newbie

Reputations:
    >>I'm assuming you meant the 5150.

Hey There Nesbo -
    yes... my bad, the 5150 is the laptop I ment.
    I have to admit, the trouble you had with your
    5150 makes me a bit nervous tho...

>So, to summarize:
    >3.06 GHZ with HT
    >at least 512 GB RAM (1 GB if you can afford it)
    >64 MB video card
    >SXGA screen.

>You should be all set with that.

time will tell..
    thanks again..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.