1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

My Repaste Experience with Pics - SUCCESS!

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by gorwell, Aug 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gorwell

gorwell Newbie

I've never heard of it, but I would not bother opening it up with those idle temperatures. You say it's only 3 weeks old, maybe it's working properly for you. I believe I was one of the first persons to receive the laptop from XoticPC, got mine March 3rd. Just consider it when it starts shutting down on you when it shouldn't.

2. gorwell

gorwell Newbie

Would leave it as is and not risk opening it up. You're basically at the same temps as I am but without repasting. If it degrades and starts crashing, then make the decision. But you have great temps right now and it probably would not help you.

3. legoheads

legoheads Notebook Consultant

Thanks for the advice gorwell! I think I will put the repasting on hold for the time being. However, I am excited for the vBIOS update and new Catalyst drivers. Hopefully, something will be posted this week...

4. loskings

loskings Notebook Geek

I second this!

5. Chastity

Chastity Company Representative

@gorwell: congrats on your repasting :) Tho, I only used about half of what you glopped on there. Apparently, it didn't affect your results, as long as our GPUs have the hot parts coated, all is well. :D

6. smile_gerard

smile_gerard Notebook Evangelist

I'm in the exact same situation... I idle around 62 - 64 but most of the time i'm at 100/300 so my temps are around 44 - 46 90% of the time. Part of me wants to do the re-paste just because it can be done. The other part of me is telling me "don't be stupid... Its not necessary". So i guess i'll also hold it off till its time to start cleaning the fans. The keyboard part still scares me. Its the only part i can see going seriously wrong.

7. bertio

bertio Notebook Consultant

8. ValkerieFire

ValkerieFire God Follower

Mr Gorwell,

I owe you big. Your post of your pictures probably saved my speaker cable! Also your post gave me the confidence to do it myself. I've booted up and everything works perfectly so far. You've done a lot of G73 owners a great service. Furmark was 89-90c for me, now repasted I am at 83-84c.

Thanks a bunch! :)

9. tudordewolf

tudordewolf Notebook Guru

Thanks, this guide was hugely helpful. Successful repaste here, took care of the speaker cable ("infamous speaker cable" in my notes, since i couldn't exactly check the forum while poking around inside my G73 ^_^ ) and they still work. Didn't take pics as i didn't encounter anything out of the ordinary. scary moments were the kb, and taking out the final few ribbon cables / flipping the mobo over.

Used ICD7, arctic-clean 2-part stuff, and then took a cloth wheel on my dremel + some grit, and polished my heatsink for the 10 mins you're supposed to let the ICD7 sit. Too lazy to lap, but got a shiny finish out of it =D ,
    and compressed air to clean out the fins (they pick stuff up fast :eek: )

dropped me to 83C max in furmark, ( from 101C ) with a block under my battery tilting it towards me more (Ergonomics + airflow :) )

also quieter, of course, as the fan hardly kicks in to an audible level.

10. Coretex

Coretex Newbie

I just finished repasting my G73Jh's GPU, thanks in part to this guide. My GPU now is rocking a 50-60 degrees C idle temp down from 70-80 degrees C.
    Battlefield Bad Company 2 no longer overheats my computer! awesome! :D

It is really not as difficult as I thought it would be, it took a while, but overall was not an epicly difficult task. Even the speaker cable gave me little trouble, though I must agree with the original poster in saying that it is of poor design.

The worst part was removing the keyboard! damn double sided tape.
    The cleaning solution recommended (Nail Polish Remover and Q-Tips) is pure brilliance. Thanks. :)

11. tijo

tijo Sacred Blame Super Moderator

I wasn't planing on replying to this but i have to precise NOT to use nail polish. Most of them use acetone, i don't know if there is anything that can dissolve in acetone in the G73 but it's best to be careful. Isopropyl alcohol is the safest solvent to use and can be found easily too. I had access to a lot of solvents at my work, chemistry lab, but i still went and bought alcohol pads for a reason. No way i was gonna use pure acetone or another stronger solvent which would have gotten through the paste in mere seconds for the sake of the laptop's safety.

12. Matrix_XII

Matrix_XII Notebook Consultant

oh. Thanks for those Pics. they will be very helpful, when I am going to repaste my one.

13. tijo

14. Jeffy14

Jeffy14 Newbie

Do you guys have any idea if it's possible to fix the Speakers Cable that went loose?
    I had the same problem and only one speaker is working.
    Do you think a computer shop would be able to weld the cable back on the MOBO?

thx!

15. Coretex

Coretex Newbie

Hi Jeffy.
    It is a complicated task for a computer shop to re-attach the speaker cable socket onto the motherboard, and this comes down to the size of the solder joints. Also when the socket is removed it can tear off the copper tracks that connect it to the rest of the motherboard, leaving nothing to solder the socket to.
    I've worked with re-soldering small things such as this, and the fixes available (short of replacing the mobo) are dodgy at best.
    You may get lucky and find someone capable of such works, but I'm reasonably sure most computer shops won't have such expertise on hand.

Asus would most likely choose to replace the motherboard, as would most other repair places.

If this post is in relation to what I posted, I have to say I agree, but luckily I had the foresight to use an alcohol based nail polish removed, and buffed it right off with a lint free cloth. Came up very nicely and is working brilliantly :)

Heed this man's warning!

I don't know how Asus can let pasting jobs like this slip through the cracks :(
    http://i53.tinypic.com/2cnhw09.jpg

16. Jeffy14

Jeffy14 Newbie

OK thanks a lot Coretex!!

17. Cryptocat

Cryptocat Notebook Enthusiast

Another thank you from me. I was wondering what repasting even was, what it was good for and what it entailed. All questions answered!

Except, maybe, where did you get the paste?

18. tijo

If you're in the US: FrozenCPU for ICD7, in Canada: NCIX. You can get paste from practically every online computer parts reseller but i had trouble finding ICD7 in Canada, nothing on newegg, tigerdirect etc...

EDIT: Just saw you're in munich, if you can't find ICD7, you can go for something like arctic cooling MX-4/MX-3.

19. crispi

crispi Newbie

Oh god. My Asus G73J A1 is running at 85C in a 23C room just with one web browser open.

5 minutes of World of Warcraft with lots of water makes it shut right down. With all graphics turned to low on the game, it regularly runs at 100C and I have to alt tab out when I'm waiting for raid to keep the temp down.

I have a feeling I'm going to have to bite the bullet and do this. Microcenter, here I come...

eta: AND I have a cooling pad under it...

20. Yiddo

Yiddo Believe, Achieve, Receive

85oC when idling is... well... drastic :no: and you need to take action quickly. Firstly blow out the vents you might just have completely clogged heatsinks, if no difference your paste has degraded quite badly by the sounds of it. Get to work before you burn out that lovely GPU.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.