My problem with the cult of Apple - Louis Rossmann

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by hmscott, Jul 19, 2018.

1. Porter

Porter Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    hmscott likes this.
  2. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Nah, I don't even want to look like I am an apple tosser. It's bad enough I am using the iPhone and ipad. ha ha.

3. Terreos

Terreos Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Wow that would be fun to put on my Hp x360. I can imagine the looks from the local starbucks novelists.

4. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    It's starbucks screenwriters, not novelists. Get your facts straight. ha ha ha.

5. LarrySB

LarrySB Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I will disclose that I worked for Apple during the "second coming" era. I left Apple in 2008 after about 10 years. It was an incredible experience. It was the biggest, small-company I ever worked for. I spent my time in IL-6 and IL-5 and worked with some of the finest engineers on the planet.

Honestly I don't know what's going on inside Apple anymore. I'm still using a 2013 MBP 15 retina - with no issues. I've worn the face off a few of the keys and polished the top with my hand marks. It's held up very, very well, despite going around the world a few times with me. Much of the design of the 2013 MBP was already in the works when I left the company, to give an idea of how long the design cycles are.

Rossman is an unusually talented technician. He's entitled to his viewpoint, much of it justified. I spent my early years doing component level repairs of electronic equipment. I've done the same kind of work on the same kind of workbench. And I had the same kind of frustrations when I sat in the same chair.

The thing is, I understand why Apple replaces entire MLB's with memory and storage intact in their stores. Why don't they repair boards? Well, lots and lots of very good reasons.

It starts with not being able to hire enough people who can do that kind of work. Where are they going to hire and train hundreds of people with Rossman's keen ability? They are not out there. Just look at all the work that comes in to Rossman in his own videos, from other shops who've managed to butcher a board.

Apple has to keep a high through-put at the store level and satisfy their customers. It's expensive, but it shortens wait times and it means more successful repairs go out the door faster, especially under warranty or AppleCare. There's also the problem of handling things like soldering residue, hazardous chemicals, calibration of tools, heck just pilfering of tools and parts and on and on. All of which a large company would prefer to do in a controlled location, like a contractor's re-work depot. Swap the board, put the old one in a box and send it back for depot re-work.

The final reason is quality control. The boards that get depot repairs probably don't get much troubleshooting. Most likely, they just get processed with a list of inspections and actions and put on the same test fixture tooling they were manufactured on, burned-in and tested. If they pass, they go in a box, otherwise, scrap. Best way to ensure the entire assembly is working right and leave as little to chance in the field as possible. It is just a process method of handling things in volume.

I won't defend some of Apple's policies towards consumers. Some of them make no sense to me either. On the other hand, some less than honest consumers do crappy things too, like harvesting the good parts out of a product and returning it for refund or repair with things missing, or much cheaper memory, drives, CPU's, than are supposed to be there.

I also understand why Linus had trouble getting his iMac Pro repaired. Not that I agree with it, but I understand why. The store may have also mishandled it as well, and may not have rendered service they should have. I'm not up on the law in Canada, so I don't know.

Truth is, I'd enjoy having an adult beverage with Rossman. He's got chops. I think he would have really enjoyed being at a place like Apple, at least during the time I was there. It was really fascinating. But I think if he could trade places for a few months and see the issues from the other side of the street, it might change his perspective on some things.

I suspect I will get flamed for posting this, but that's the internet.

6. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Apple Might Have Finally Given In; Company Reportedly Reaches Deal to Allow 3rd-Party Reseller to Carry out iPhone Repair
    By Omar Sohail, 30 mins ago
    https://wccftech.com/apple-reported-deal-allow-3rd-party-carry-iphone-repair/

"Authorized iPhone repairs were only allowed to be carried at Apple’s official retail stores, with the company making it increasingly difficult for third-party resellers to carry out the procedure themselves. This would involve a complex repair process, as well as prevent some features of the iPhone from functioning properly. However, sources have claimed that Apple has reached an agreement where it is said to allow a single reseller to carry out authorized iPhone repairs for now.

Authorized iPhone Repairs Will Be Allowed for the Screen – Simply Mac and Apple Said to Have Reached Deal
    The latest development reveals that Apple and Simply Mac, a third-party Apple reseller and service provider, have reached a deal. The deal states that the iPhone manufacturer will end up providing the necessary hardware to let Simply Mac conduct authorized screen repairs.
    ..."
    "With the latest partnership, it should become a lot easier for customers that are not in close proximity to an Apple store to get an authorized repair done.

Update: 9to5Mac reports that Simply Mac has been in contact with them and said that there are multiple inaccuracies in the story, but did not divulge in detail."

7. GrandesBollas

GrandesBollas Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Apple’s major accomplishment - convincing sheeple to continue blindly buying its products.

Apple’s major failure - failing to give customers proper respect to think for themselves and understand that the silver platter being handed them is actually aluminum.

Jijiman likes this.
  8. darkloki

darkloki Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You know it pains me to say this but... I'm not like a huge Apple Fan boy but I can use and appreciate their products especially with how well they work with other products like my Iphone for example. Video conferencing with family or imessage from the laptop is pretty cool/nice.

But more importantly then all of that is the resell value on this stuff is high real high, because there are more apple noobies then let's say Razer Noobies. So an easy example I can give you if I own a 2016 Macbook Pro 15 inch touchbar and a 2018 Razer Blade 15. I'm fairly certain that in 2 more years that silly Macbook with the touchbar will still fetch a higher dollar tag then that Razer is going to fetch.. Right now the Razer is higher by about $300 and the Macbook is 2 years old, so that's absurd but true.. .

9. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    The apple die hards are mentally, handicapped plain and simple (NOT every apple user, just the ultra gung-ho ones). I have an iphone, I've had iphones for years. I had a MBP 2011. I know somebody that paid 700$ for a 15" MBP 2011 LAST YEAR, which is beyond insane given how old, weak, and failure prone they are. Their own weird fanbase keeps prices artificially high, not because they are stellar machines or anything like that.

hmscott likes this.
  10. GrandesBollas

GrandesBollas Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

This guy was very lucky he was able to return his crapbook amateur. This new Apple is all about making money off the little guy who has unrealistic expectations for what he is spending his hard earned money on.

Eclipse2016, Ultra Male and hmscott like this.