My problem with the cult of Apple - Louis Rossmann

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by hmscott, Jul 19, 2018.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    LarrySB, Vasudev and Terreos like this.
  2. Sentential

Sentential Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I like Apple and for the most part compared to Dell they are way better. That said I did have multiple logic board replacements on my 15" and the full replacement had to have it's logic board replaced as well. This is in addition to 2 keyboard replacements on a 12" so to say they are without flaw is a lie. However I've spent a fraction of the time on the phone and I actually trust they will followup unlike Dell.

hmscott likes this.
  3. Terreos

Terreos Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Man I was gonna post this. You beat me to the punch. lol

When I was watching this I was really like. . .yeah how does Apple get away with this kind of thing year after year? I mean you see people whine about a little bit of light bleed on a windows pc, but everything else about it is perfect. The whole you're holding it wrong or you're using it wrong bit nearly made me spit up my coffee from laughing. The sad part is this won't change. For some reason so many Apple users have excepted that this is how things are.

Vasudev and hmscott like this.
  4. 9ac3

9ac3 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Did people watch this video by Linus about Apple refusing to repair its broken iMac Pro? The cost of repairing is higher than the new machine :huh:.

5. Terreos

Reputations:
    Yeah. What got me was how people were defending Apple on not wanting to fix. They clearly didn’t hear Linus say “We want to pay for repairs”. Any computer company would repair a computer if you pay for it. So it made no sense why Apple would be that way.

As far as repairs being insane. . .well he did do a cost break down in the video and Apple is just charging an arm and a leg for repairs. Likely they’re gonna replace parts that don’t need replaced. Watch a few videos by Louis Rossmann and you will see Apple has a habit of replacing a whole motherboards ((ssd and all)) when they could easily just solder a new capacitor or something on the board. And yes it seems Apple is not able to remove a single screw in order to keep a customers data.

Vasudev, 9ac3 and hmscott like this.
  6. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Apple better than dell? ha ha ha. I have a 500 dollar dell that is way more reliable than my 1500 macbook air. I have had battery issues, 2 logic boards and a keyboard issue with the air. ZERO with my dell 2 in 1. I dunno. Seems like the apple device is hardly worth what I spent on it. Just priced up an XPS 15 and MBP 15 and the MBP is 2000 dollars more for the same basic spec with less since it does not have a touch screen only a chitty, useless touch bar, etc.

Vasudev, hmscott, 9ac3 and 1 other person like this.
  7. 9ac3

9ac3 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Many reputable reviewers are also questioning Apple's pricing strategy (see here). At $1800 you get Core i5-8259U CPU, 8GB RAM and a 256GB SSD in the 2018 13" MacBook Pro. You'll have to pay $200 more for 16GB RAM. You can get a much more powerful entry-level Razer Blade 15 at that price.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
    Vasudev, hmscott and Terreos like this.
  8. Terreos

Reputations:
    This is something that’s been going on for awhile an the consumers of these laptops just accept that Apple products cost more. So if all the people that don’t watch in-depth reviews on YouTube start realizing they’re getting ripped off, then it won’t change.

And to be fair all ultrabooks are expensive. If you spec them out most are in the $1600-$1800 range. And that’s before adding a larger ssd. There are so many good laptops that are thin and light at $1800-$2000 that they don’t make much sense.

And you should consider the gs65 over the Razer 15. I’ve used both recently and the Razer Blade is so much more expensive spec for spec compared to the gs65 that it makes little sense to get it. It does have a more premium feel, but that fancy vapor chamber they advertise only matches the thermals of the gs65. :confused:

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
    Vasudev, hmscott and 9ac3 like this.
  9. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    the funny thing is, with most apple lemm….I mean "users"...They don't care if they are getting ripped off. They ONLY care about that little logo on the lid. I do use iPhone and ipad as I feel they are the best devices for MY needs. NOT because of the logo on the back of them. I have used many android based tablets and a couple of surface devices, but the ipad is a better tablet than all of them. The iPhone is a bit "murkier". I can get by just fine with an essential phone but I will miss imessage, facetime etc which my family uses to stay in touch with each other. But NONE of us use macbooks except my son, and that's because it's "cool" to have a macbook. Not because it works better. I have used it a few times and had to just give it back to him it's so bad. My 500 dollar dell 2 in1 is a way better device. Windows 10 is MILES better than that MacOS garbage.

10. Terreos

Reputations:
    That’s sadly very true. Especially with the Iphones it’s a fashion statement. I friend of mine pointed that out to me years ago. I couldn’t believe he told me that. However, I started to see it all over the place. I personally use iPhones also. I’m not a fan of how they make changes and don’t tell anyone. Like the lowering performance on the phone to extend battery life. Wish they were more transparent.

I’ve tried twice to add a Mac to my routine, but I can’t get used to the OS. To me it feels backwards in a lot of ways compared to windows. But, I have been using Windows for two decades so I’m more set in my ways than anything else. I have heard some good reasons why some people have macs. And I can respect that. But, when most just HATE windows I think they’re being dilutional if they don’t think Mac has issues too.

Vasudev, kojack and hmscott like this.