My portable 4tb HDD is not recognized

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Deks, May 25, 2019.

1. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Hey guys.
    Been using SEAGATE EXPANSION 4TB PO 580/4672 for almost 2 years now, and a few days ago, the USB 3 pins got dislodged from the SATA/USB connector.

Anyway, I had to remove the HDD from its casing, ordered a new Sabrent SATA to USB cable, and tried connecting the external HDD to the laptop like that, and while its coming up in the notifications area as 'External USB 3.0'... its not registering or showing up in Windows Explorer at all.

Under disk management, it comes up as 'Healhty' (GPT Protective Partition)... and as you can see from the screenshot, I cannot edit it at all.

I have a lot of data on that HDD, and I'd prefer not to lose it.
    So... how can I make the external HDD visible in Windows Explorer so I could access it along with the data?

Some online search suggested a broken MBR... but I have no idea whether that could be the issue, nor how to fix it without losing the data (or more to the point, which software I could use).

But as I said, that might not be the issue.
    Ideas and suggestions would be welcome

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 25, 2019
  2. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Vasudev likes this.
  3. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    So, how would I go about doing that if I don't know the drive letter for the external HDD nor is it showing up in Windows except 'external USB 3' (but no access to the drive itself).?

The second method 'HardDiskSerialNumberChanger' program doesn't detect the HDD at all.

4. TANWare

Reputations:
  5. pete962

pete962 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You're saying the disk was 4TB in size, yet if I read your JPG correctly, it shows as 16TB? Also shows as protective partition? Is this how you set it up originally or something got corrupted when pins were bend and data didn't write properly?
    Maybe this could help
    https://www.diskgenius.com/how-to/gpt-protective-partition.php
    But I never came across this issue, therefore can't say it will work.

6. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The HDD was not set up like that.
    But the pins DID bend (on the usb portion of the converter/ not the SATA portion).
    Other HDD software seems to be reading the HDD in a similar fashion but will also show it a primarily 4TB.

7. pete962

pete962 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    do you have Mini tool partition wizard? It was free, does have partition recovery wizard, it can read files on partitions OS can't easily access and it had portable version, so you didn't have to install it on your drive. I have not updated that program since last year, so not 100% all this is still true with newest version, but just in case another program you could try.

8. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I'm just running the partition recovery wizard. At 9% only.... and that's a quick scan.

I don't know if it will work though... I have some important files I can't lose on that HDD... If I can at least retrieve the most important files, that would be good, alas, I have no ideas on how to access the data in question since the drive is invisible in Windows.

Maybe if I try running a bootable Linux distro and see if I can access the drive from there?

9. TANWare

Reputations:
    Last edited: May 26, 2019
    katalin_2003 and Vasudev like this.
  10. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    @Deks Once you have got external power supply working and still HDD shows GPT protective state? I think its enabling Security Freeze so I will recommend you boot into Ubuntu and use Disks or GParted to check if its working or not. If it is not mounting/opening up then put the PC into suspend mode and try GParted Repair Filesystem ASAP since the time window closes pretty soon.