My"Orange Edition" CF-19 (MK1) reboot!

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by thewanderlustking, Mar 27, 2019.

1. thewanderlustking

thewanderlustking Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Okay breaking this up as I don't want this lost in the above post.

It is locking up CONSTANTLY. It seems to be locking up due to update checks, or anytime it phones into the internet for something. It has been doing Windows updates past three days and a couple keep failing. I am taking a guess this is likely most of the issue. I will give it a few more days to get it sorted out and try to get it running stable.

So far it is MUCH faster when it is working. I can't say how any of my software programs are behaving, as I don't have anything I can connect them up to right now.

Getting it usable and stable on the internet is going to be the challenge. If I can't use it for the minimal internet access I want, then I need to rethink how I plan to use it, and if I want to even bother keeping it. For sure it won't be getting any more upgrades or real effort put into it.

I am going to try and run Defraggler on it. I am not sure how the cloning works, but if it left things in disorder like a platter drive usally is, then Defraggler's reordering scheme will likely get me some space back too. And sounds like it would do better for a SSD drive.

2. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja and Options Whore

Reputations:
    Maybe plug it in directly to the router via LAN port and let it on and connected overnight.
    That way it will complete all the updates and be done with them.

UNCNDL1 likes this.
  3. theoak2

theoak2 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Another thing that causes extreme internet slowdown is computer trying to install Windows 10 in background. Have you taken any steps to prevent that? (Never10 maybe?) MS is really trying to shove this down everyone's throat.

toughasnails, SHEEPMAN! and Shawn like this.
  4. thewanderlustking

Reputations:
    $#!+ I thought they stopped doing that. Well whatever the case I refused and hid that update long ago for this. Still I should do a little more digging there period.

But I opened process manager and found the problem, 35 instances of googlechrome.exe running.

Everytime I spell a word wrong and click to redo, it locks up. I rebooted, and already have 40 instances...

Yeah, so that browser isn't going to work. I will try a couple more things, then admit temporary defeat and put the platter drive back in. I have another MK6 sitting here I need to get checked out and started on.

At least now I know that the "process" to clone works and retains everything. Now to just get the internet issues sorted, or upgrade for keeps to a MK6.

5. ADOR

ADOR Evil Mad Scientist

Reputations:
    Have you tried firefox on it? I still use that as my main browser. Even got a portable version out if you don't want to do a full install.

Shawn likes this.
  6. thewanderlustking

Reputations:
    Ador, I will give that a try! I did submit to the temporary defeat though... I absolutely HAD to have the MK1 fully up and running for a tuning job. I needed to play musical HDDs with my MK6's, as I was short a drive for one I needed to deliver. Hey gotta support my Toughbook addiction somehow...

But, I may have a completely different clue into my internet issues. The cable modem died this morning. This is like the third modem in almost as many years. So I will sort that out and make sure this is ready to go with updates and other tweaks needed. Give Firefox a shot and see how that does.

7. User32

User32 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Firefox is trash, use Waterfox instead.

8. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja and Options Whore

Reputations:
    I know I will regret this but,
    Why?
    Waterfox is based on Firefox. They are both 64 bit.
    As far as I know Waterfox is based on Firefox ESR 56. Which is a year and a half old.
    The latest Firefox ESR is 60.6.1

toughasnails likes this.
  9. User32

User32 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Firefox is trash because it doesn't support legacy addons, and I don't exactly support the things Mozilla does either.

10. thewanderlustking

Reputations:
    Care to elaborate some User32?

Soooo I still have no internet (tethered through phone right now)... The issue doesn't appear to be the modem, according to the EXPERTS in India. Whatever it is. I haven't taken the time to further troubleshoot it. Point being that whatever caused the 35-40+ instances of chrome.exe to run, might be what failed.