My"Orange Edition" CF-19 (MK1) reboot!

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by thewanderlustking, Mar 27, 2019.

1. thewanderlustking

thewanderlustking Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If Super Duper will save a clone of a windows drive to an image file, then put it on the SSD drive... Lets find out!

EDIT: Okay I pulled the drive and cabled it to my Mac. I have an unregistered copy of Super Duper. It wouldn't see the drive to copy, but it will let me load an image. So, using disk utility to make an image.

It may or may not work. And it was probably an extra step than just using another option like HDClone. But hey, might as well try to make my MacBook useful.

It is taking a SERIOUSLY long time...

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
  2. thewanderlustking

Reputations:
    Not surprisingly that didn't work. It would have worked, if I had the paid basic version. This has a 100GB drive, the SSD a 90GB drive.

So I shut down, turned on my WWAN card, and booted into linux. Installed the GParted package and resized the 100GB partition down to 78GB. As of yet I haven't rebooted, but it looks like it went smoothly.

I am trying to clone/copy the internal drive over to the cabled SSD one. I can't usually seem to get them bootable though so we shall see if that works. If not, I should be able to use the HDClone software from inside windows.

Or I will check to see if there is a cloning software package I can install for Linux. Not very comfortable inside Linux, but might as well try.

3. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja and Options Whore

Reputations:
    UNCNDL1 and thewanderlustking like this.
  4. UNCNDL1

UNCNDL1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I might have been unclear...
    Super duper is for Mac Only...
    The one Shawn linked is a windows way to do it...
    The free one I linked should work for you as well...

5. thewanderlustking

Reputations:
    UNCNDL1 HDClone did the trick! Sorta...

Shawn, I didn't know that! All the years I have been abusing W7 and I didn't know you could do that from INSIDE of Windows! I need to look a bit closer at that just for a simpler backup...

So I think the issue I have had in the past with the "free" softwares (and you have to do this using Windows too) is I had been missing a critical step. I hadn't been shrinking the source drive first.

So step one today was to try out the cloned drive made with Linux. (I already shrunk the drive down last night.) That didn't work, so I rebooted back into linux. The issue was something not rewriting the MBR to get the drive to actually boot. Or perhaps a complete lack of MBR...I checked the bootable tribute, but that didn't fix it.

Mental note: Next time try changing the boot order in bios, then reboot and change it back coerrectly to try and force a MBR rewrite. I was getting a flashing cursor at the top left, so it wasn't failing completely, just confused and not booting. I almost had it.

So, I swapped drives back... Now I had the source platter drive shrunk down to a size smaller than the target drive. I booted up and after a disc check, all was well. Fired up HDClone FREE, and the cloning job went off without a hitch.

First boot up it figured out it was a different drive and installed drivers. Rebooted. Everything was locked up. None of the buttons were working. I rebooted again and all was well.

All of this was done with the laptop sitting on my toolbox today in brief moments stolen between working on cars. It was super easy actually!

So the GOTCHA in the process was trying to use free software and cut out a step. The source drive simply has to be smaller (or same size would likely work too) than the target drive. Windows needs it done that way too. I was able to easily resize the drive in Linux.

I am probably going to try out the Windows method too. But I don't have an extra SSD drive to do so at the moment. And I have to resize the platter drive bigger again to get back to the initial starting point. Arrggghhhh lol! I have another MK6 on its way, so I will probably give it a shot with that one.

The MK1's battery is dead now and my coworker has my power brick so I have it sitting on the docking station in the garage. Sadly I haven't gotten to use it yet, soon!!!

6. thewanderlustking

Reputations:
    I know, it is installed on my Mac! But, I think it would have worked too if I had a smaller source to larger or same target drive. It was actually kinda working. Not sure if the issue was the drive sizes, or the windows format. But it saw everything happily.

7. thewanderlustking

Reputations:
    Well MASSIVE improvements everywhere, except the internet. Explorer locked up three times trying to post this. And I was only a few sentences in. I switched to Chrome and it is doing better, but it already froze up for a minute when I tried to correct a misspelled word.

I don't expect to get away with 20 tabs open, or more than 1-2 really. But being able to use it on the internet would be nice. Without resorting to booting it up in Linux. Battery is all the way run down again so I have it back on my docking station. I will let it recharge then give a good tryout.

I uninstalled AVG and went with Microsoft Security Essentials. It did a "quick" scan of the computer. The quick scan took almost 3hrs for only 50gb of data on here! I could care less about that,b ut it didn't find any of the software I have stuffed into folders here and there that EVERY OTHER anti-virus I have used tried to delete.

I have some Windows cracking software that should have popped up warnings. And more than one of my diagnostics packages are cracked and usually pop up warnings. I am mildly concerned. It is nice I didn't have to do anything, but can MSE actually protect me from real threats if it doesn't find the credible hacking tools I have sitting here???

8. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja and Options Whore

Reputations:
    I use Comodo AV on my public machine and Kaspersky at home.

UNCNDL1 likes this.
  9. theoak2

theoak2 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Shawn likes this.
  10. thewanderlustking

Reputations:
    Those were some really awesome and very informative articles! This is one interesting line:

I am kinda leaning towards just keeping Windows defender and or MSE for my antivirus on the Orange Beast. So far, even with the SSD upgrade, it is impossible to browse online consistently. Internet Exploder is the worst culprit, but Chrome wasn't doing much better. I may try Firefox, but I am not holding out much hope. Once I have to move away from IE, I loose a lot of functionality that I need. A lot of my work based websites require me to use IE. So this could be a machine killer.

And that is almost okay. At work I am not going to use my laptop for anything that has to be secure. No eBay, no bank accounts, nothing like that. Google and Youtube would be nice. Almost everything I download, I do it on my Mac. I have AVG on it. I usually know when I am downloading potentially questionable software.

Basically at work, I am not "browsing" around and wasting time. I am using Google for searches and a couple known secure websites. Mostly the machine is used for tuning, my oscilloscope, and a couple programs for diagnosing and hacking into automotive modules.