1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

My opinion: don't buy Dell.

Discussion in 'Dell' started by kamehame, Sep 26, 2011.

1. LarryL

LarryL Newbie

Reputations:
    Well I've only owned one Dell laptop, my XPS M1530, and I'ts been pretty good, its lasted about 3 years and still serves pretty well, it's no longer my main computer, as its simply too old to game on, but I still use it for taking notes in class.

2. mrstop

mrstop Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm think I'm done with Dell as well. I have a M1530 (3 1/2 years old) that just died due to the nVidia GPU. On the plus side, Dell has offered to repair it free of charge and has already shipped a box despite it being out of warranty for 1 1/2 years. On the minus side, they insist the GPU problem has been resolved (lie). I have asked for a fair and permanent fix to the issue with one of the following options:

1. Offer a guarantee on the repair
    2. Replace the laptop with a comparable unit without the defective nVidia chip
    3. Give me a prorated credit based upon an agreed upon life expectancy of the laptop

Unfortunately, they are sticking by their guns and won't offer any fair and permanent resolution.

In my opinion, I specified a high end system that should have easily lasted 6+ years for what I use it for (no gaming or graphics intensive processes). This is based on my experience having used laptops in a business environment for over 12 years. My work laptops are run 8+ hours a day and thrown around. They are still in fine operating condition after 3-4 years when I turn them in.

Do I expect that I will never have an issue with a laptop, absolutely not. I expect some probability of a battery failure and hard-drive failure at some point. However, I expect that if something goes wrong the machine to have a permanent fix with a low probability of failure.

I hear people talk that this is an nVidia issue and it affected all manufacturers equally. While nVidia's poor design is at the root, I contracted with Dell, not nVidia when I purchased the computer. It is like buying a car. Most of the components, like laptops, are made by third parties. If those parts fail in the way the nVidia GPU failed, it would likely result in a recall and the car manufacturer would responsible for correcting the situation, not the third party. Of course, the car manufacturer would likely go back to the third party for reimbursement to remain somewhat whole.

I'm not sure what I am going to do now. I will either accept the repair or take more drastic action. In either case, my replacement laptop likely will not be a Dell.

3. Mihael Keehl

Mihael Keehl Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I think it's time for a replacement laptop there is no way that you will be able to fix this issue, but I recommend getting anything from the current HP High-Performance/Envy-line. Either that or the HP Elitebook's are a really durable especially the current ones, even though they are 16:9 they are still durable. Same with the Dell Precision-line but since you don't want Dell, I don't blame you.

Also, wait, I have a 256MB nVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT in my Dell Inspiron 1520, how likely will I be effected by this issue? It's going to be 4 years strong this December with this laptop but I recently upgraded to the 8600M GT (new/unused) this past May.

4. mrstop

mrstop Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    All laptops using the 8 series nVidia GPU are affected. It's just a matter of time. Search: nVidia defect.

5. boblikeskittens

boblikeskittens Newbie

Reputations:
    What i don't understand is that they KNOW about some of these issues but are contempt with just replacing the faulty parts under warranty time and time again. Iv had 3 laptops - a Toshiba Satelite which overheated and died / a Vostro 1710 which was great after i got a new motherboard and hard drive. I now have a vostro 3550, a great little laptop and very well specced. Overheating has not been an issue BUT you cannot have bluetooth on at the same time as wireless internet otherwise you get severe packet loss. This is an issue with the Intel Wireless N 1030 interacting with the bluetooth - and no ammount of replacing parts will solve anything unless you turn the damn bluetooth off.

6. del_psi

del_psi Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So you've tried changing the wifi/bluetooth card to a 6230 and it still does the same thing?

7. Rodster

Rodster Merica

Reputations:
    Well i've been purchasing Dell laptops since 2003 and my experience as a brand overall has been solid. No complaints from me. :)

8. neo4evr

neo4evr Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I also don't have any complaints, I am using dell since 2005 and am thoroughly satisfied with their services and products. But yeah, that depends on luck and locality you are in. Here in my area Dell service center is outstanding. :)

9. Mucchan

Mucchan Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I'd like to think this is because they own Alienware now. Why make 2 different line of notebooks that will compete in the same segment of the market?

On topic, I've owned 2 dell laptops so far. One is a M11x R1 and the other one is a Latitude E6410. I also use a company owned Latitude E6320 for work. Before that I owned an Asus W7Sg that had its GPU (NVidia GeForce 9300M) died on me 2 months out of warranty.

One big plus for Dell is the fact that most of the time it has NBD on-site warranty by default. Build quality for the M11x is decent apart from the well documented issues such as the hinge (which has been rectified by Dell). Build quality, warranty and support for the Latitudes are pretty good, considering they are business laptops.

10. jazen

jazen Newbie

Reputations:
    I've been using Dell laptops for a long time and I honestly say that their products can be hit or miss. My first Dell was a latitude CP Pentium 233 and I loved the quality of it. My first new Dell was a 700m and the fit and finish wasn't as impressive; lots of poorly finished edges but functionality was fine.

Then I purchased a E1505 new in 2006 at the same time as my cousin and friend. Mine fared well but I used it lightly. The other 2 had worn hinges and the finish didn't hold up. I had just sold it earlier this year but functionality was perfect (other than a dead battery).

Last year I bought a XPS M1210 used with a cracked screen. I selected one without nvidia graphics since i do all my gaming on the xbox now. Cosmetically its trashed but I love it, I've used it for almost a year now and its been flawless. I also purchased a Latitude D420 for $20 with a cracked screen and I'm planning to restore it (its a hobby of mine to fix up stuff). Immediately there's a huge difference between the build quality and materials between the XPS and the D420.

I've also fixed a few hp's and must say I'm not impressed with the build. I do own a hp mini 5102 due to its construction but probably won't get any other hp products.

In my opinion, I've held true to Dell. Sometimes their build quality isn't the best, but I haven't been completely disappointed either. Also, does anyone know when Dell transitioned to ODMs to build their laptops?

11. Gamer872

Gamer872 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have a Dell Inspiron 1420 that works just fine after 4-5 years. My only issue is that the touchpad is starting to go on it. I was looking at the XPS15z but I'm bored with Dell as a whole. My Inspiron gets pretty hot even using it on a table playing a free flash game, which doesn't seem right to me.

12. outersquare

outersquare Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  13. Mihael Keehl

Reputations:
    Well, if you have the older processors they tend to run hot, specifically the T5000 and T7000 series, as they are all built upon 65nm while the T8000 and T9000 series are built upon the 45nm.

If you are not really satisfied with the current line up of laptops and don't mind doing just swapping out your current touchpad, you can probably get an unused touchpad for your model for around $30 on eBay.

14. Rebellion

Rebellion Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I am one of those that have never had a problem with Dell computers.

from my sig you can see I have owned a few dell laptops. All still work without issues. All the HPs now have problems (mostly screen lines/stripes).

I used and abused my 1640 without any issues. After reading the forums I felt I must have gotten the only machine that didn't overheat. Heck I even overclocked it for a year. Now my wife is using it.

Now the XPS 15 has had absolutely zero problems as well.

To be honest I probably won't buy another dell, that is only because (in my opinion) they either make really ugly but fast laptops or nice looking and not so fast laptops. They totally forgot the people that want both.

15. Gamer872

Gamer872 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks, but I plan on replacing the machine with a MUCH more powerful one in a few months anyway. As long as it keeps chugging along until then, well, see my sig ;) Looking forward to the backlit Sager NP8150. No reason for me to want an AW after that. :D

PS, the processor is a Core 2 Duo I believe, not exactly sure what number it is. It's a 1.8ghz I think. Going to give it to my younger sister when I get my monster machine. Might want to replace the pad then, idk.

16. Mihael Keehl

Reputations:
    Ahh no problem and good choice, you can find parts really cheap for the Inspiron 1420/1520/1720-series on eBay. If you are going to hand it down, you'd probably better off replacing the processor as well (as it will run cooler). The 1420 did have more heating issues than the others because of the smaller build and larger-sized components.