1. Due to platform maintenance, the forum will be inaccessible for about 30 minutes beginning about 1:30 p.m. Sorry for any inconvenience! We'll remove this notice when work is complete.

my notebooks HOT!!

Discussion in 'Linux Compatibility and Software' started by arjunned, Jul 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arjunned

arjunned Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    ok.. i've noticed over the past week that my notebook runs really hot..
    the cpu temp's are at abt 68 with lite usage like web surfing, and 65 while idling. the palm rest's are pretty warm but the bottom of the notebook's like an oven!!! the gpu temps fluctuate between 70 and 72 while idling and lite usage.

these are temps are a bit too high as, while running vista, i never get temp's this high when idling, or even even surfing..:confused:

is something wrong?? i'm pretty sure the fans are doing their job. are these temp's normal or should i be worried?:(

2. theZoid

theZoid Notebook Savant

Reputations:
    the GPU is ok...but the CPU temps seem high. I run about 55C on the Desktop CPU in this laptop......might wanna google that. I assume you've check your services to see what is running. Any indexing going on?

EDIT: I just noticed we have the same Video Card. CPU is high though, this one is a Desktop CPU and it doesn't get that hot. I get from 68 to 72 on my GPU....using Mandriva KDE

3. redrubberpenguin

redrubberpenguin Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That's rather high. My CPU idles at about 40-45 C and hits 60 at load maximum (in rare cases, too). AND my notebook has a smaller form factor than yours. Did you just get this notebook? You might want to ask for a replacement if you did.

4. arjunned

arjunned Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    no, no idexing going on. but is there a way to check whether indexing is on? i've had this notebook for abt 6 months now. dont get these high cpu temp's in vista. :(

anythin else i can chk?

EDIT: ok i think it has something to do with power management. can anyone help me with cpu frequency scaling? i think the cpu's running high even when its idling.

5. theZoid

theZoid Notebook Savant

Reputations:
    I think it's a setting somewhere....you have CPU set to DYNAMIC right in power management?

6. arjunned

arjunned Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    is that in the bios?

7. theZoid

theZoid Notebook Savant

Reputations:
    No, go into a terminal and type

gksu gnome-power-manager

then look at the settings and make sure dynamic is selected. Also, look in services and make sure the cpu-freq module is loading I think....not in gnome now

8. arjunned

arjunned Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    ok i typed in the code but nothing's happening. also wen i add the cpu frquency scaling monitor applet to the panel it says that frequency scaling is not supported?!?!!?!

9. theZoid

theZoid Notebook Savant

Reputations:
    yeah, it's something with CPU scaling/power management....shouldn't be difficult to correct....someone using gnome needs to step in here........knock knock? :D I would say go to synaptic package manager and search the following: gnome-power-manager, and cpu-freq. See if they are installed, if so, I'd mark them to reinstall and reboot then go into gnome power manager....I just can't look at what you're looking at now. But that won't hurt anything for sure.

10. theZoid

theZoid Notebook Savant

Reputations:
    I just installed Ksensors, then rebooted....at first it showed my CPU at 67 degrees! but after a while it dropped down to 55C which is normal for this CPU. Have you given it time to adjust?