My next phone: Galaxy S9 versus iPhone X

Discussion in 'Smartphones and Tablets' started by Mitlov, Mar 5, 2018.

?

What should I get?

1. Galaxy S9 Plus

10 vote(s)
    62.5%
  2. iPhone X

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. Pixel 2 XL or OnePlus 5 because I totally didn't read the post before voting

4 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    That's quite a list!

2. kojack

kojack Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I would rather the iphone 8 variants than the X. Being able to unlock with your fingerprint is a much better solution than the faceID crap. no home button is a time waster as well. I am NOT a fan of Samsung at all, every phone I have owned by them has been junk.

If I was going to look at android it would be blackberry, essential, or sony. I know you want wireless charging so go with the iphone 8. NOTCH the X.

3. Convel

Convel Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It would be interesting to have statistics supporting these seemingly high failure rates claimed by news outlets. Because every time a new issue is reported that no one knew about, you'll see P2 & P2XL owners in the comments section reporting not having those issues. Just to be clear, I do think the new Pixels have more manufacturing inconsistencies than most phones, probably due to Google being inexperienced in the field and LG's lacking QC, but I think this is also an effect of there not being much else to complain about than the occasional lemon, and the two phones having become popular to hate on.

Anyhow, I voted for the S9 Plus because it is the technically most impressive phone of the two. The iPhone X has some surprising lack of adaption to the new screen ratio and notch, considering this is Apple we're talking about. I think the iPhone 8 Plus seems easier to live with, though not as cutting-edge as a novelty anniversary device.

4. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    I once talked with a Pixel 2 owner. He said the audio recording quality was great, no issues. I had him send me a video clip he took and I thought the audio distortion was obvious and obnoxious. Except for the connectivity issues, these are issues that are "really bad" or "not noticeable" depending on the person. With this phone, the other found issues not noticeable that I found intolerable.

Also, not every handset is affected. Doesn't mean the issue isn't real. My own Note 7 never caught fire, but that didn't mean the Note 7 didn't actually have battery issues.

5. Convel

Reputations:
    Yes, I agree that both Pixels have issues, some present on a handful (?) of devices, others on every unit out there. Obviously, it's up to a potential customer to make an informed decision based on personal preferences, and I wasn't trying to sway you into considering the Pixels again, nor claim that people who dismiss these phones over QC worries are wrong to do so. I only wish there were statistics that would give insight into how widespread issues which don't affect all units are, as I suspect the phones have received more negative press than they deserve. I'm not trying to defend my own purchase here; I'm merely stating that the impression of how difficult the Pixels are to live with doesn't resonate with me.

The audio recording issue must have slipped under my radar, and unfortunately I don't have a sizeable collection of video samples yet. This sounds similar to the LG Nexus 5, which means it's most likely a hardware issue that should have been picked up by Google during QC. I found some really bad examples on YouTube and will try to record more videos in the future. I've read reports of WiFi and Bluetooth connectivity issues, but have not encountered any before or after the February update.

I don't think the Note 7 analogy is transferable considering every Note 7 had the same defect, and of the potential ticking bomb variety. The only issue I can think of that could manifest itself over time with the Pixels is OLED burn-in, which doesn't lead to instant data loss, fire, toxic fumes, or grounding a commercial flight. Real shame, considering how attractive the Note 7 was at the time of its release, and how its led to Samsung being overly conservative with their battery capacities in fear of another scandal. I still don't doubt Samsung's engineering prowess one bit.

In any case, I didn't mean to clutter up your thread with Pixel 2 discussion. Hopefully your transition to Verizon goes smoothly, and I hope you have a nice weekend! :vbtongue:

6. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    UPDATE

So I'm the worst person in the world to give advice to, because I give you very precise parameters and then ignore them myself. I'm the happy owner of a brand new Pixel 2 XL (black, 128 gb). In the end, it was the incredible camera performance without having to fiddle with manual settings that won me over. And the screen is actually quite good, especially when set to "saturated." I've heard that the screen problems were the worst on the first batches manufactured, and I would believe that. Except for some off-axis blue shift, the screen quality is very comparable to my S7 Edge.

The fact that it was on sale for $650 (for the 128 gb version) certainly didn't hurt.

Starlight5 and Convel like this.
  7. kojack

kojack Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Good choice....MUCH better than the samesong.

Mitlov and Starlight5 like this.
  8. Convel

Reputations:
    I've got to admit I was surprised to see the Pixel pop up in your signature. :eek: It may not be the most exciting phone from a hardware perspective, but you've just made your life easy. Consistently good camera and no fiddling whatsoever to obtain the latest version of Android. And you already know about its shortcomings, so you're not likely to be left with any unpleasant surprises. One of the biggest, pleasant surprises from real-world usage is how usable the stereo speakers are as a makeshift radio. Make sure you enable "Swipe fingerprint for notifications" if you haven't already, as it makes the phone significantly better for one-handed usage. Adding an extension to your browser which moves the navbar to the bottom is also a neat trick. Google Assistant's inbuilt song recognition has improved a lot since last autumn, but I still find Shazam quicker and more well-versed. Where Google Assistant's recognition seems better is in noisy environments, and I believe Google will keep closing the gap on other fronts.

What I would have liked to see in a future revision is smaller bezels: 6-inch 18:9 is nice and all, but this is not a bezel-less phone in either direction, unlike others making the aspect ratio push. I wouldn't want to sacrifice proper stereo speakers, but if it hadn't been quite as tall, it would have been easier to reach the top of the screen with one hand. Next on the list is the inclusion of a headphone jack, which has already been mentioned a thousand times. Third is HDR10 certification. Google's improved how Android handles different colour gamuts natively, and HDR YouTube videos look great on the Pixel 2 XL's display. That's why I find it unfortunate that HDR is limited to just one app when support is broadening elsewhere. Fourth is a second camera, with either optical zoom or a wide-angle lens. The portrait mode on the Pixels is impressive to be all software, but it can't quite compete with the best dual-camera phones out there, most notably when it comes to strands of hair, or a small area in the photo not being recognised as the background. I say it's good enough not to warrant a dedicated portrait mode camera, but in this price range, why not give us something like Oppo's 5x zoom or LG's wide-angle lens in addition? Another case of can't have it all, perhaps.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
    Mitlov and Starlight5 like this.
  9. ccvortex

ccvortex Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ugh, Samsung... great if you like cartoon/clown colors on your display. And that god-awful Android hack they call an OS.

Look at Sony Xperia XZ2 and/or HTC U12+ for your next phone (IMHO) :)

Or, you could be daring and wait for the Essential Phone 2 - bet it's going to be pretty good.

10. kojack

kojack Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I think I would only buy an android phone from Google directly or essential. All others have lied and falsely installed security updates that were never really installed.