My negative experience with the ASUS GL502VS

Discussion in 'Asus' started by 5YNAP5E, Apr 3, 2018.

?

Anyone else had a bad experience with ASUS hinges?

1. Yes (GL series laptop)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes (different laptop series)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The MSI GS line is the cheap stuff that can suffer from the issues you mentioned. The GT73/75 are excellent, with high-quality screens and some of the best cooling available. The 16L13 (EVOC 16L-G-1080/Eurocom Tornado F5), which is an MSI chassis but not sold or serviced by them, also has great screens and is arguably the best desktop replacement notebook that offers some degree of portability. Unfortunately, firmware restrictions and fans that tend to die prematurely hamper its true performance potential. The Prema BIOS attempts to work around said limitations as best it can, but even then it's basically impossible to circumvent all of them. As such, it can take some time and effort to tweak the machine to balance performance and temperatures. I spent the better part of a month working around stability and thermal issues, but now my 16L13 is to the point where the CPU can handle Prime95 with AVX instructions running at 4.5 GHz on all cores, and the GPU passes the 3DMark TimeSpy stress test. The experience was certainly educational, but I'd hardly call it fun. Maybe if I were still in college, I would have enjoyed it more, but I work 2 jobs and have a family to feed so I have nowhere near the time I once did to really dig into this stuff.

Shoutouts to @Falkentyne @Lunatics @Huniken @Mr. Fox @Robbo99999 @Papusan @matyee for their valuable insights, and apologies to anyone who trolls the 16L13 Owner's Lounge I might have missed. Also props to @Donald@HIDevolution for another excellent sales experience and @Zoltan@HIDevolution for handling a tech support issue I had with the machine.

2. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yeah, I would say the 16L13 (EVOC 16L-G-1080/Eurocom Tornado F5) is an enthusiasts laptop, and suits best to someone who likes to really understand their laptop and enjoys tweaking it for max performance - to get the best out of it you'd want to spend some time tuning it, that's the impression I get from spending time in that forum. If I hadn't have put together a desktop, it's quite likely I would have bought that laptop, but then I like to tweak & tinker with them, so that would suit me. The inclusion of a desktop CPU in that laptop is likely it's most unique & compelling feature.

Huniken, Lunatics and Mr. Fox like this.
  3. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Im not sure if that is something the OP is interested in, however. THE GL he had is a bit on the lighter side in comparison to the F5 so I would assume he would want something in that range.

Of course I could be wrong

4. Lunatics

Lunatics Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    To be honest, I think this machine would have run fine if I just wanted a desktop equivalent laptop without any OCing or maintenance, I think at normal stock everything this laptop would have performed fine with a proper paste job. Trying to OC and bring the CPU up to 4.5...4.7...5.0GHz is pretty huge that some people even struggle to get to in their desktops, so the fact that a laptop can accomplish some of this, and with enough tweaking be stable and have decent temps is a credit to itself. I think that running this thing at stock 7700K speeds and everything else would give you amazing performance similar to a desktop, and not quite have to deal with any temperature problems or overheating or serious tweaking. I love my laptop and cannot speak highly enough about it and the service I got from @Donald@HIDevolution and HID in general. I still have my laptop running at a constant 4.7GHz and performance is good, CPU temps are always pretty good even during gaming (fans on high, no cooling pad or anything). The only thing I actually have an issue with heating up is my GPU which will go up to 90 degrees at times. I do not like it and I am sure there are things I could do about it but currently I am using the laptop for work so I don't want to get too involved with taking it apart and having to rush to put it back together. Some games will destroy the GPU and others will run fine, I don't get it. Runescape (LOLOL) will absolutely destroy my GPU for some reason, I have never been able to understand why that POS game seems to take such a toll on computers but when I had it set to default high settings it was pegging my GPU up to 90 degrees. I turned down some stuff like lightning and ambient occlusion and shadows etc and now it typically runs at about 60 degrees in that game. I have no underclocked or undervolted the GPU and am running the prema bios mod that allows it to draw more power, so I am sure that has an effect on it and I am sure I could be managing the GPU temps better but I will not be using it as my primary machine much longer once my desktop is built and it will go back to being a "laptop" that I use on the go and will not be AS worried about temps when I do use it.

I don't know if a laptop like this is something the OP is looking for, but despite the little bit of work and tweaking myself and other people put into this machine, I cannot speak highly enough about it. It is just such an absolute beast that I can carry a desktop around in my backpack and still be very portable for the power that is in it. I mean this thing weighs about as much as Thinkpad E550s that I use for work, and those are half as thick as this laptop and no where near as powerful. The thing is honestly so gracefully light and portable for it's power I still can't believe it. The one drawback to this is that the power brick is heavier than the laptop and that makes up for the weight of the computer, but the laptop itself is an extremely light and portable machine for its power imo. So much so that I did not believe the weight on it and that it was as light as people said it was, so I drove an hour and a half down to microcenter in New York just so I could see the MSI version of this laptop and get my hands on it and pick it up and feel it to see if it was actually as bearable as people said it was, and the whole drive home I could not stop thinking about how I knew this was the laptop for me and I couldn't wait to order it.

Desktop power, not an overly thick or heavy machine, can still fit in a backpack and be carried around fairly easily, can be debranded so it just looks like a basic black standard laptop. If it is something that fits into the OPs needs or is a consideration, I cannot recomend it enough. Only real complaint is I wish there was maybe 1 or 2 more USB ports on it, and or that there was at least 1 or 2 ports on the left side of the laptop and not just the right, but these are minor complaints and could easily be solved with a TB3 usb dongle in the back of the machine. Plus one of the best things is you get an active thread on the forum with almost 1000 posts now with quite a few people who have this laptop or experiences with it and can help, where as I have noticed some other threads for specific model machines do not seem quite as populated as this one has.

5. 5YNAP5E

5YNAP5E Newbie

Reputations:
    Unfortuntally TheRecievers right on the mark, portability and weight were factors when I bought the GL, the 16L13 sounds like an intresting laptop, but if weight and size hadn't been a concern, the Frys I was at had GT80 titans with dual GTX980s for less than the GL502

6. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations: