my motherboard couldnt take heat of my 980m's

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Trulyfatal, Jun 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trulyfatal

Trulyfatal Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I was playing h1z1 at max settings for 6 hours straight when suddenly my laptop shut off, immediately after that smoke came out on the left up side where you plug in the ac cable into the jack.

I open up the laptop and instantly saw the burned spots, at first i thought my dc jack went bad and needed resoldering.

I knew before my card was always reaching 90+ degrees playing h1z1 but i kept on playing anyway cause there wasnt much i could do. I bought these cards 3 months ago new so there was no dust and the repaste was very well done also

To bad for me o_O

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. stefan063

stefan063 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    WOW!!! Really?! I thought temps. aren't that high on 980m. On my 6990m in crossfire after re baling and new thermal treatment temps at ULTRA BF4 1920x1080 on overclock at 750/1100 don't pass 80 degrees Celsius after few hours of gaming.

3. Scanner

Scanner Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Wow, 90+ temps is hot. Before one of my 980m died temps never got above 65. You were running way to hot. Hope your still under warranty.

4. kenny27

kenny27 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Not sure I'd be blaming the 980m even if it was running at 90C, you probably got a Mobo with a low quality/faulty component that shorted out. Fingers crossed you didn't damage anything else!

5. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    crap...I need to check under there I guess..I think I popped one in the area too. Does your mobo still work?

6. Trulyfatal

Trulyfatal Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The motherboard is dead, ive ordered a new one today on ebay, fingers crossed its a working one.

As for my master 980M ive cleaned everything the best i could, i cant really see any difference with the slave one with the naked eye so i really hope its still in working order.

Fingere crossed :rolleyes:

7. maxslo

maxslo undefined

Reputations:
    There are a couple of guys here that would be interested in your broken motherboard ;)... check the marketplace.

It's a way to get some money out form this accident if nothing else :)

8. GodlikeRU

GodlikeRU Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    They are most interested in HDD ribbon cable.

And never allow card to exceed 85C. It will die.

9. twin snakes

twin snakes Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    wow i have never seen my 980m(s) reach 75 even with 3dmark firestrike extreme in 30 mins, however my old 880ms can easily reach 85 and even 90 for long duration of benching

10. 82280zx

82280zx Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    If you was willing to part with your old damaged card I would be willing to buy it, what would you sell it for if you wanted to sell it? I'd even be interested in your damaged board to, I have a cousin that is pretty good at repairing things, the board I doubt he can fix unless I knew the exact part that fried (I'd have to look at another board to get the new components) but he's been able to revive them in the past for me, he might could fix the 980 to not sure, depends on how bad it was damaged.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.