My MBP harddrive failed - best way to replace it?

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by Thundr, May 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thundr

Thundr Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  2. yuio

yuio NBR Assistive Tec. Tec.

Reputations:
    1. the M4 is a fantastic SSD, definitely would recommend one of them.
    however one thing to note you mac I believe only has a SATA300 controller so I so the max speed you can get on any SSD is about ~270MB/s

2. the caddy will work for the 1TB so long as the 1TB is a standard 2.5inch disk. The caddy is only an adapter, the SATA controller decides what will work and what will not, and I've never heard of a company bothering to add a restriction like that.

I have the same model as you. and I have a 90GB Agility 2 and it works great, but I definitely wouldn't recommend smaller. I'd look into a ~120GB+.

3. Thundr

Reputations:
    1. If it only gets to about 270 is that slower than the MBA?
    2. Thanks
    3. Which one is better, agility 2 or m4?
    4. Does HDD not fail if you have enough ram so that it doesn't get hot when you have lots of apps running?

4. yuio

Reputations:
    1. not sure but I don' think the MBA would be noticeable faster.
    3. M4 slaughters the Agility 2, I bought it a while ago... there was no M4 back then
    4. from my experiences HD's are that bad... I find they died more from bumps than from heat. if you have 4GB of ram or more I'd say your ok.

5. Thundr

Reputations:
    I don't know which one to buy, the $125 or $85? 128 or 64 GB?

6. Datamonger

Datamonger Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I once had an Intel 320 80GB SSD and even with proper maintenance, performance degraded over time. Until the technology can be made better, I would suggest saving yourself a few dollars and getting a traditional hard drive. I recently replaced the 750GB Toshiba 5400 RPM drive that came in my MacBook Pro with a 1TB Western Digital Scorpio Blue and don't notice any difference in the performance aside from the increased capacity. Also, I saw that you said capacity isn't really a big deal for you. What you may want to do in an order to save even more is just get a lower capacity 7200 RPM drive and use that instead. Maybe a 160GB.

7. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I found the Momentus XT to be the best compromise between speed and capacity on a MBP, especially if running more than one OS. That's what I would recommend since, based on the OP's questions and post history, he doesn't appear to be the most technologically inclined. Replacing the SuperDrive in a MBP isn't exceptionally difficult, but it's not a project I'd take on unless I were 100% confident in what I were doing.

8. yuio

Reputations:
    I still have an intel G1 80GB that I don't maintain at all and it's been in use 3 years and still very fast... don't know about the 320... but I'd never go back to HD... way to slow... I'd go with a ~120GB ish SSD personally.

9. formerglory

formerglory Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The Crucial M4 is an excellent drive. Just upgraded from a 160GB Intel 320 SSD to the 256 GB Crucial M4, and what a difference it makes!

However, OP, like others have said, your 2010 MBP is limited to SATA II, meaning 3 Gbps speeds. My 2011 MBP has SATA III, 6 Mbps, so I was able to see the difference between a 3 Gbps and a 6 Gbps drive.

Regardless of speed differences, the Crucial M4 is a solid drive, and the prices are coming down significantly to less than a dollar per gig. I paid $210 for my 256GB drive.

Also, definitely upgrade to 8GB. Look for GSkill, Crucial, Corsair, those are good brands that will work great in your MBP. Newegg has the best prices (or Microcenter, if you live near one, but I still prefer NE).

10. Thundr

Reputations:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.