My m570u (Experiences and Questions)

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by jcq, Jan 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rickster

rickster Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    uninstalling AVG anti-virus fixed my problems

2. Exatrive

Exatrive Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Even the newest BIOS isn't going to fix the Grub issue.. if you really want to play with linux still, here is some info and perhaps easiest fix. Just download Ubuntu Alternate Install.. if you have the alternate install disc.. (NOT the Live one) just install linux and when it comes to Installing GRUB press the ESC.. this will bring up the sub menu with the whole install process numbered out and you can select to install LILO instead..

Putting it short.. You need the Alternate Install, and when its asking where to write GRUB.. press ESC to install LILO from the menu..

I am not sure if you will need to update LILO after each install of a new Kernel update.. But to be on the safe side just ask in the official forms for Ubuntu.

I haven't played with linux for a few weeks since I installed Vista x64.. but one thing you will want to know.. after you install LILO on STARTUP right after POST.. you will ether need to hold down the esc or press the shift key to bring up the OS selector to get into windows (don't remember exactly)...

TAKE care.. I do miss linux.. but I will install that on my external drive when I get one.

3. Janax

Janax Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yes, I'm a Linux user and ran into this ACPI problem myself. I had been using GRUB for quite a while, but have been using Linux since back in the days when LILO was still the default bootloader. LILO does require you to re-run 'lilo' each time you change your kernel or boot partition configuration, and I still have problems with Linux not being able to use the DVD drive with DMA. But at least I am able to use it when I have to...

I tried following the fix common ACPI problems wiki page and got as far as trying to recompile the DSDT, but only found a couple of warnings that have no real effect on the DVD problem. So I keep trying to check around for new BIOS versions, but I don't even know if Clevo is trying to fix this issue or not...

4. T4House

T4House Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  5. sager_kubuntu

sager_kubuntu Newbie

Reputations:
    I am succefully running Windows XP Pro and Kubuntu Feisty. To get around the DVD issue under linux, I just modified grub and added "acpi=off" onto the boot line. This sucks because it disables acpi, but the DVD drive is more important to me right now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.