My M18XR1 adapter goes off while playing GTA V

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by dr_gin_rain, Apr 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    3dmark 11 does not have a high draw from the wall compared to a stressful game I have found.

2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    3DMark11 Test #1 has a huge power draw if your CPU and GPU(s) are not throttling. In fact, it will trip the internal circuit breaker on a 330W AC adapter about one second into the test if you are doing any kind of meaningful overclocking or have a weak AC adapter.

ahmadmud likes this.
  3. dr_gin_rain

dr_gin_rain Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Mr. Fox,

I have run 4 of the 3dMark Suite and nothing happens. What are possible reasons about this game GTA V to make this problem? And is there anything I can do? I can't play the game now :(

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
    Mr. Fox likes this.
  4. Rotary Heart

Rotary Heart Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have a similiar issue, the only way that I can play is if my battery is fully charged. You can give this a try.

5. dr_gin_rain

Reputations:
    My battery is always fully charged 100%, and when the adapter goes off, it causes the game stuttering, then I have to wait for a while to re-plug the adapter. Is your problem like that?

6. Rotary Heart

Reputations:
    Yes, but it only happens if I try to play when the battery is not at 100%

7. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    I don't know, and I don't have GTA V to test things. Based on what @Rotary Heart heart is telling you, as well as your own testing, I think it is appropriate to blame the game. Are you using 350.12 drivers? It's also possible the display driver is doing something goofy to your 680M cards, causing them to misbehave and that may be shutting down the system. Try an older driver if you are using the "Game Ready" (what a joke) GTA V driver. This new 350.12 driver has caused a plethora of issues for both desktop and laptop owners. The thread at GeForce Community is chock full of documented issues relating to this driver. All three of my machines with GTX 780M GPUs malfunction with 350.12 drivers, but it works fine for me with 980M SLI.

The good news is, based on your testing with the benchmarks, your machine appears to be functioning properly.

dr_gin_rain likes this.
  8. dr_gin_rain

Reputations:
    @Mr. Fox I double checked, the problem goes away when the battery is fully charged at 100%. I didn't check it before, because sometimes batterys stay at 96-98% and I thought it was full. But I think this is just a temporary fix. By the way, you said that my laptop is still functioning properly, but should I replace the adapter since I have it from be beginning when I bought my laptop ( late 2011 :]] ) I don't know if the adapter causes other problems beside GTA V.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  9. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    OK, that's excellent information. Again, that points to GTA V as being the reason for your issue and corroborates what @Rotary Heart has experienced. If you want a spare AC adapter, that's always a nice thing to have handy. (In fact, having a spare is a good enough reason to buy one.) If the new replacement solves this weird issue, it would be nice to find that out. That would suggest that @Rotary Heart would also need to be thinking about a replacement.

Since this problem ONLY happens with GTA V and all stressful benchmarks have passed with flying colors, I am going to assume your AC adapter may be perfectly fine even though it is old. I overclock the crap out of my laptops all the time, and I frequently push my AC adapters beyond their intended load/output. I should probably feel lucky to get more than a year out of one under such a demanding use scenario. If you are mainly using your system at stock clock speeds, I wouldn't buy a replacement only on the basis that it is the original part.

Rotary Heart likes this.
  10. Rotary Heart

Reputations:
    Its definitely better than mine, because I can't play or bench without the battery at 100%. I already have a bought other one, but I want to keep using this one until it dies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.