My M17x R4 blew up - literally - or the 980M did

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Solo wing, Apr 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Solo wing

Solo wing Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hello all,
    So yesterday I was playing Mass Effect Andromeda, running svl7 johnksss vbios @ 1262/1399 1.037v. Temps were fine, never exceeded 67c with a recent paste job and Fujipoly pads.
    When all of a sudden I started hearing this crackling sound followed by the computer shutting down and the light in the PSU going out. Then a loud BANG and smoke coming of the computer. Disconnected the computer , did a power drain and opened the under cover to see WTH is going on. The CPU and the surrounding area looked fine, checked the die side of the gpu and nothing seemed off.
    So when I removed the Graphics card I found this:
    WP_20170412_01_41_53_Pro_LI (2).jpg
    WP_20170412_01_42_40_Pro_LI (2).jpg
    At first I thought the chip on the MB blew up/shorted. But I checked the under side of the GPU and here's what I found:
    WP_20170412_01_46_56_Pro_LI (2).jpg
    It looks like a cap or something blew on the card and the black smoke stained the MB.
    With the card removed I powered up the computer and was greeted by the 6-beep video card failure. which led me to believe the system is still working and all I need to do is replace the GPU.

@woodzstack mate I'll PM you regarding my next GPU :)

hmscott likes this.
  2. ares6

ares6 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hi, I'm sorry to hear that. I have a 980m newly laid and I'm happy with it. I have a 680m for sale in case you might be interested.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Solo wing likes this.
  3. woodzstack

woodzstack Alezka Computers , Official Clevo reseller.

Reputations:
    Holy friggin hell !

Never seen anything like it , thats crazy !

is this one of my older GPU's ? I might be able to do a warranty exchange for you. Would love to look at this a bit better. It appears as if the component caught fire and fried the motherboard components as well.

That's just disasterous. You know for sure, this is not a common place thing with these cards... but giv eme a shout , yeah, i will see what I can offer/do to help.

Is that a AW17 ?

I have a friend here selling a 120Hz screen and cable, you might be interested in, and going with a 1060N or if your crazy into modding a 1070.

just mentioning him, cause the price he is asking for, for the cable and screen is like giving it away, think he took it to the NBR market place.

(of course, if this is the laptop you have in the signature, then you have a 120Hz already, would be more economical for me to help you get a 1060 going.)

Aroc, Ashtrix, Solo wing and 2 others like this.
  4. woodzstack

woodzstack Alezka Computers , Official Clevo reseller.

Reputations:
    if you can hook up an HDMI or DP display you might be able to still picture without a videocard in there if you have the 120hz screen. I know for sure for the DP display using the miniDP port, I forget now if the HDMI will work.. wait no, cause its part of the HD intel..so just the MINIDP... this will tell you if your laptop is good or not... I can't see the extent of damage on the mothertboard but it might actually be fine. here's top hoping !

MogRules likes this.
  5. MogRules

MogRules Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Holy crap....that sucks to say the least, sorry man :(

Hopefully Woodz can help you out :) he is awesome. Hope you get it sorted out soon. Let us know if the motherboard was salvagable.

Solo wing and woodzstack like this.
  6. Solo wing

Reputations:
    Thank you, but I'm more interested in upgrading rather than downgrading. :) GLWS

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  7. Solo wing

Reputations:
    Cheers mate
    Yup, that's my second purchase from woodz.
    I bought a 1060 , I'll keep this thread updated.

Ashtrix likes this.
  8. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    Just going to chime in, this is not a clevo specific failure. I had a Dell 980M fail in the same spot in the same way, was running a higher voltage vBIOS at the time. Never again.

Solo wing likes this.
  9. MahmoudDewy

MahmoudDewy Gaming Laptops Master Race!

Reputations:
    But his GPU failed at 1.037 V which is stock for the 980m and that is freaking me out.

Solo wing likes this.
  10. Ashtrix

Ashtrix ψυχή υπεροχή

Reputations:
    I ran Prema vBIOS for months before I switched to the Svl7, Maybe the MOSFET issue which made it blew up, 980M has missing VRMs on the PCB, Hardmodded ones have much higher OC potential and stability over the non modded ones, 980Ms from what I read from a post MSI ones seem to be better...rare tho.

Glad that OP sorted it out, Mobo is good things look bright !!

Solo wing likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.