My interesting path in panel upgrading, finding the The BOE NV156FHM-N4B

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Casowen, Jan 17, 2019.

1. Casowen

Casowen Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So I like many wanted a 120hz panel for the notebook, and my laptop like many has only a 30 pin EDP interface. So if wanting high refresh rate, the main option is a chi mei n156hhe-ga1 panel that is often the most recommended, but its the only 120hz panel in 30 pin! So I ordered it from newegg to replaced my standard LG IPS 60hz, and oh wow I thought the panel was terrible. Yes terrible, despite all the rave reviews for the panel, I thought it was terrible. While I did enjoy 120hz over 60hz, the color rendition was far to washed out to enjoy, and the contrast ratio made black or dark colors look badly contrasted to brighter colors given the 500:1 CR of the chi mei. Booting it for the first time, I was wondering why the black background of the start up screen looked so bright compared to the stock LG LP156WFB-SPA3(I believe this is the model from a search).

So I took back the Chi Mei, and decided to go for a panel that no one has spoken about, The BOE NV156FHM-N4B and I have no regrets. The panel is 30 pin, IPS, has a contrast ratio of 1200:1, and can do a refresh rate of 150hz at a maximum clock. So what struck me first was how the panel has a much higher contrast ratio over the LG, and I saw it when booting by seeing the company logo in contrast to the black background. The lettering was significantly brighter, and the background screen was almost total dark compared to either the LG or chi mei, and when the windows screen came up, it in no way looked washed out. Looking into this panel more, I found the only other panels that can accomplish or go higher then 1200:1 CR are 4k panels, and while they look great, they take alot of gpu to even push games at that resolution, but its great for photo and video obviously. But for all intents and purposes, I like 120hz +, IPS, and High Contrast ratio, and while it has it weaknesses compared to the TN chi mei, I think the benefits far outway the cons.

The main benefits of the chi mei on paper are a 94%ntsc 8 or 10 bit color that wasnt noticeable to me, and 1.5 to 3ms response time, but the high washed out look and low CR makes that panel not enjoyable to look at for me, though it was smooth for games. As for the cons of the Boe panel, and brace yourself, the response time is 16ms. It does ghost some, and while 1ms TN users will notice it immediately, it doesnt take away from enjoying something like fast paced PVP. The ghosting doesnt look very bad though, and I have even disabled motion blur in Shadow of war and warframe occasionally, but ghosting generally isnt noticeable. The native refresh rate is actually 144hz, but the most I have stability gotten in an overclock is 150hz.

So how does this compare to 40pin IPS 144hz panels? Well In comparing, I thought the 40 pin panels looked washout some, but not as much as the TN chi mei probably due to the higher 800:1 CR of the auo panel, and on paper color rendition is the same as the boe. It does ghost slightly less based off of mouse and window movement, though it wasnt that noticeable. On paper I believe the Auo response time was ether 8 or 7ms, but I dont recall for the specific panel because they vary in response times usually between 5 and 9. Update: So for users with 40pin displays, there is a 40pin version: NV156FHM-N4(G/K) The K model is the one made later in 2018, while the G is the earlier model made in early 2018. Reportedly it may suffer from flicker from PWM and Im not sure what the difference there is besides that, but you get the CR ratio I so like without doing to a 4k panel.

As of writing this, I havent found anyone even so much as talk about this panel directly in English or at all, and so I hope this helps some people as I wasnt sure where else to talk about this obscure panel.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  2. José Pablo Rascón-Pérez

José Pablo Rascón-Pérez Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey, you are a legend, I was looking all around the web for some kind of review but you are the only one I ran into haha
    do you mind telling me were you bought it, as I only have seen it listed in some sketchy websites

3. Casowen

Reputations:
    Well aliexpress is probably your best bet for least sketchy, but I went for ebay sellers to which I recommend you ask them for pictures of it working. They should also include free shipping that gets to the anywhere in the world in under a week, but aliexpress wont, but they are only 112 dollars last I checked.

This is the ebay dealer I went with. https://www.ebay.com/itm/144Hz-fram...h=item4b5b126624:g:m58AAOSwVXRbxYIL:rk:2:pf:0

4. José Pablo Rascón-Pérez

José Pablo Rascón-Pérez Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey thanks!
    I have a question as I am a little bit inexperienced with replacements when you change your panel dimming controls on the keyboard won't work, but the ones on the control panel will?

5. Casowen

Reputations:
    They both should work. The keyboard short cut and control panel both work for me, and they are just the same thing anyway.

6. trias10

trias10 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Question, I am considering this panel as well to upgrade from the LGD046F I currently have, and I wanted to ask if this panel you got, the BOE NV156FHM-N4B, does it support G-Sync too?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
  7. Casowen

Reputations:
    My laptop doesnt have g-sync so I cant comment on whether it supports gsync or not. I think gsync is more or less a software lock so that odms have to buy licenses from nvidia and maybe even get a special permission chip, but I have no idea otherwise. Theres talk in forums about cracking that, but it like intel micro code is something no one has done, or spoken about doing yet.

8. ralffykinno

ralffykinno Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Great news! since I have searched all over about this incredible panel, I can't find anywhere but you. So you can confirm that this
    BOE NV156FHM-N4B is able to control brightness by keyboard (like N156HHE-GA1) right? That's sound awesome!
    Thanks Man!

9. ralffykinno

ralffykinno Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So. The brightness control still works as N156HHE-GA1.

10. Casowen

Reputations:
    Last I remember.