My god...it's beautiful... B173HW01 V5 upgrade

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by MifuneT, May 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MifuneT

MifuneT Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I was content with the hyper glossy LG that came with the Sager 8170 and thought I could get away with using a Viewguard matte screen protector...but after a manic "episode" with trying to get it installed bubble free in a two cat household and noticing the display looked too grainy (like putting your eyeball up to a CRT) after installation, i tossed the POS. IMO, the Viewguard matte protectors are way overpriced and their shipping costs exorbitant. ($30) So I bought the AUO display off of fleabay.

I ordered a matte AU Optronics B173HW01 V5 off of ebay (screenintaipei) on 5/3 and it got to me on 5/6... From Taipei, Taiwan to Los Angeles, USA in 3 days! I wasn't expecting it so fast, so I wasn't able to take delivery until today.

Just installed and calibrated it. This matte screen really is something else. Very good clarity, viewing angles, black levels, and very even backlighting. I didn't expect the difference between the stock LG and the AUO to be so drastic! The screen's calibration wasn't so far off the mark either.

2. psun786

psun786 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    There is a color profile for AUO v5 flowing around in this forum, did you use that?

I want a v4 originally but since there is no luck find a A+ grade, I bought mine from screenintaipei as well. It should arrive on Wed.

Never a fan for those matte film as they always reduce contrast, brightness and color representation by a percentage.

glad you liked the screen!

BTW, can you post a picture of screen in action?

3. MifuneT

MifuneT Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    My decent point and click (Canon S90) is sitting at my gf's so all I have is my phone's crappy camera. It's a color profile I created after calibrating with my Spyder 3 Pro. I'll upload it for others to use.

I use brightness setting 6 (1 less than 100% brightness) and it was calibrated with native white point.

Attached Files:

4. MifuneT

MifuneT Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    My camera phone tends to over saturate and take very warm pictures, but this picture was taken with a light overhead. Normally, a reflection would be showing on the gloss screen. None on the matte!

Another pic at an angle. On the gloss screen would be seriously screwed at this angle.

Attached Files:

5. MifuneT

MifuneT Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    If anyone is interested in the background, it's a Dogbane Beetle.

Attached Files:

6. Brokkah

Brokkah Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You've got me excited that I went for this screen on mine :) Just need it to be built now!

7. mountainlifter_k

mountainlifter_k Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    What is the 15.6" version of this thing? Can you link me to the list of AUO panels?

8. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The 95% color gamut screen that MYTHLOGIC uses in its 15.6-inch systems is the AUO B156HW01 V.4. Search with variations of that model name on eBay, and you should be able to find one.

9. Rebel0721

Rebel0721 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    You should also look at this thread if you wanna see the differences between the screens http://forum.notebookreview.com/sag...-between-different-screen-options-photos.html

And these two for changing screens yourself :D

http://forum.notebookreview.com/sag...sembly-display-clevo-p170hm-sager-np8170.html

http://forum.notebookreview.com/del...cial-swapping-xps-17-l701x-screen-thread.html

10. mountainlifter_k

mountainlifter_k Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I ordered the optional 1080p matte screen provided by Sager with the 8150-S1. This is because I live in Singapore and resellers here do not offer the 95% color gamut AUO B156HW01 V.4 screen; they only offer what Sager provides.

Question: How do i find out the model number/name of my panel?

I am guessing that it is the stock screen on the 8130 that they provide as the optional screen with the 8150-S1.

Thank you for the information. I had seen the visual differences thread before. The other threads are sure to come in handy if i do a swap in the future.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.