My first Toughbook and how I got addicted...what was yours ?

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by toughasnails, Jul 7, 2019.

1. toughasnails

toughasnails Toughbook Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    My first Toughbook was a CF-28MK3. I bought it in the spring of 2008 and did not have a clue what I was getting myself into. A few days before I bought it I came across an eBay auction "The Ultimate Toughbook". It was @Toughbook (Rick) and it looked awesome. I can remember he had flames and everything in the eBay auction and his homepage was even better. After seeing that I just had to have one so off I went searching. Two days later I found one and bought it. A few months later still trying to figure out what I wanted to do with it was doing some on line searches when I found one of Rick's post but never joined NBR. Finally after 6 months of looking at threads/posts I finally joined in March 2009. Of course my first question was something stupid but Toughbook (moderator back then) was there all the way and helped me with at that time the big external wifi antenna mod...thanks Rick. Well after that I was hooked on Toughbooks. That was over 10 years ago. How time flies when your Toughbooking . Since then I have added CF-18, 19, 29, 30, 50, 51, 52, 53, C1, M34 and FZ-A1 to my collection but it never ends. Now I am looking to add maybe a G1 or a D1...time will tell... maybe both. So what got you started ?? ( I blame Rick for my addiction to Toughbooks) :D

li0n, downloads and evenflow153 like this.
  2. evenflow153

evenflow153 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    My first toughbook was a 27EB that I bought new when I was like 8-10 years old. I remember seeing one back then inside of a police car walking by. I did research on the 701C thinkpad we had back then (that I still own after all these years and I said I’m taking this because it was in storage and doing nothing) I looked online for one and I signed up for eBay (the funny thing is that I lost the password for that account and now I use one that has 3 buyer reviews that I made in February) and convinced my parents to buy it and they did. I don’t know how much it was but I used it a lot. When I sold it in March 2007 for like 160 Canadian dollars at the time with like a ton of things But know things have changed I have a 10x10 storage locker with almost every toughbook I have. My toughbooks are at my house are 10 of my favorites but my 28STJGZKM I bought as a 13 year old for like $6000 USD.
    I got on to Notebook Review in May but for a year or so I read on Panasonic and Dell a lot. In May I posted my thread “Upgrading CPU in a CF-28” or something like that and post in like everywhere. I like notebook review and in fact a few weeks ago my friend @Compaq12 (Davion) joined and doesn’t post much.
    My story has ended

li0n likes this.
  3. User32

User32 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    CF-28 Mk2 or Mk3, I forgot.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    li0n likes this.
  4. evenflow153

Reputations:
    I was mr rich as a kid. I bought a old telephone for like 15 Canadian Dolllars and sold for like 14,000C.
    That’s how I got a 27EB back then

li0n likes this.
  5. denrosten

denrosten Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I started with a beaten up 25 and worked up to 28, M34 (got 8 off them for free from a telecom company) , 29, 18, 19 (mk1, mk4, mk8) 52, 53, and now 20 mk1 and 54 mk3
    did a bunch of mods on the 28 and the M34's, not so on the others besides ram and storage upgrades

li0n, toughasnails and evenflow153 like this.
  6. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja and Options Whore

Reputations:
    I think it was a CF50

Since then I have owned various marks and quantities.
    CF51
    CF52
    CF53
    CF48
    CF73
    CF74
    CF18
    CF19
    CF29
    CF30
    CF31
    CF 45
    CF M34
    CF U1
    CF C1
    CF C2
    CF D1
    FZ Q1
    FZ G1
    FZ A1

I might have had a CF 28. Not sure.

li0n, toughasnails and UNCNDL1 like this.
  7. evenflow153

Reputations:
    Here is my list of toughbooks
    27EB sold to some guy on eBay
    28ST still owned
    25 MK1 still owned
    45 sold or in storage
    29 MK1 sold
    28M sold to @Compaq12
    29 MK1 sold to a company
    50 MK1 sold to someone in GA
    M34 MK3 sold to my dad
    M34 MK7 unknown
    M33 sold with box online
    M32 sold open box at a flea market
    19 MK2 unknown (in my warehouse?)
    31 top of the line without hazardous locations still owned
    Newest: 28P just sold

li0n and toughasnails like this.
  8. mklym

mklym Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I got my first Toughbook the same day I got my first Panasonic laptop. I went to an asset liquidation company in Calgary to look at a couple of ThinkPads they where advertising. While I was there I saw a W5(?) on another self. I asked if they had any more Panasonic laptops and was taken into the back of the store. There was a box with a bunch of different Toughbooks. I left the building with the W5, a CF-18 and a second 18 for parts. Not knowing the value of old Toughbooks, I left the 27's, 28's and 34's they had in that box. Should have made them an offer on the whole box. :realmad:

And so it started....

li0n, toughasnails and evenflow153 like this.
  9. Compaq12

Compaq12 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I started a few days ago haha! I found out about them from a friend who gave me his D1 for using and I liked it so for a few months I was loooking and then ToughbookGeek96 (Bray) said he would see if he had any and I posted Best Used Toughbook. I know have a CF-28 and a CF-30. I’m looking into a C1 or a M34 but for now I have to computers

li0n and toughasnails like this.
  10. gray-beard

gray-beard Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I was given my first CF-28 back in 2007 and I was instantly hooked.
    I purchased 3 CF-27s from a member here at the time named Gravitar. (I still feel bad about him and his demise)
    Sold the CF-27s and even made a profit.
    Bought and sold some CF-28s and CF-29s, even installed wireless antennas and GPS in a few of these.
    I still have a CD-29 that I installed GPS to used at work. I was a service electrician I was driving all over the Denver area.
    Finally moved up to a CD-30 with GPS and touch screen but since I retired I really don't use it much, but just can't bring myself to let it go because it works perfectly.
    Not really in to them anymore but I still check in from time to time.
    Rooting phones and android tablets helps keeps me active now.

Bob

li0n, UNCNDL1, Shawn and 2 others like this.